cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where has the build my own plan option gone?

davis_j
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It seems the website has been overhauled since I last visited.  Payment / transaction details are very hard to understand, and for some reason I also cannot find the build my own plan option within any of the navigation menus.  I can find the pre-made plans, but no options to build my own.

15 REPLIES 15

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Celestial wrote:

I’m really disappointed that the ‘build my own plan’ option has disappeared. This was one of the things I really liked about Public Mobile. Any chance of it coming back?

While anything is possible, I would highly doubt it.  From what I read there wasn't enough customers using this option.   But if you have that plan, then you are grandfathered in and will keep it unless you decide to change it.

There weren't enough customers using the Build Your Own Plan option because PM didn't want to keep it around. 

They put no effort into keeping it updated with their stock/promo Plan offers, so you would end up paying the same or more if you built the "same" Plan components.

They eventually reduced and removed the hidden discounts, so Build Your Own Plan cost typically ended up being much higher than stock/promo Plans.

They removed any incentives ($) for the 90-day option, Canada-wide texting, etc, so of course few people would choose them.

People went to the Plan builder looking for ways to pay less by only buying what gave them value... PM responded by neglecting the Plan builder long enough for it to fall into disuse so that fewer people would notice (or be offended) by its absence. 

Yes you're right that the BYO option became less competitive compared to the RM plans and I've seen others sharing your sentiments on how PM basically allowed the BYOP to languish which in turn allowed them to remove the option altogether and declare it as a business decision.

It would seem that was the intended outcome and not a lot most of us can do about it other than to vent in this forum.  Oh well.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote:

@Celestial wrote:

I’m really disappointed that the ‘build my own plan’ option has disappeared. This was one of the things I really liked about Public Mobile. Any chance of it coming back?

While anything is possible, I would highly doubt it.  From what I read there wasn't enough customers using this option.   But if you have that plan, then you are grandfathered in and will keep it unless you decide to change it.

There weren't enough customers using the Build Your Own Plan option because PM didn't want to keep it around. 

They put no effort into keeping it updated with their stock/promo Plan offers, so you would end up paying the same or more if you built the "same" Plan components.

They eventually reduced and removed the hidden discounts, so Build Your Own Plan cost typically ended up being much higher than stock/promo Plans.

They removed any incentives ($) for the 90-day option, Canada-wide texting, etc, so of course few people would choose them.

People went to the Plan builder looking for ways to pay less by only buying what gave them value... PM responded by neglecting the Plan builder long enough for it to fall into disuse so that fewer people would notice (or be offended) by its absence. 

@Celestial wrote:

Probly no...but if you currently have one of those plans...you get to keep it for now. Just don't change plans then try to come back to it....'cause it's no longer available.

Celestial
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@heisenberg wrote:

I was wondering what that "gift"  of 1 GB data was all about.

I have spent over half an hour going over the website again and again, looking for the plan builder and then going through this forum looking to find what I suspected had happened.

Very odd form of Marketing to needlessly burn through brand captial. Personally, I am very unimpressed with this move.

@heisenberg please see here for the official announcement:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Showing-some-love-to-our-customers-with...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

The one gig gift..was for people that signed up before Aug 19th 2019.. and had an active account up to Sept 4th 2019 (like not suspended,etc )..all people that qualified were given a one time 1gig gift that rolls over until used up.

The Plan Builder has been removed. It no longer is offered. People that build a plan in the past still have their plan. Example someone that had a 90 day plan..they still have it..if they decide to change plans then they won't be able to get it back.

@heisenberg wrote:

I have spent over half an hour going over the website again and again, looking for the plan builder and then going through this forum looking to find what I suspected had happened.

Very odd form of Marketing to needlessly burn through brand captial. Personally, I am very unimpressed with this move.

heisenberg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@davis_j wrote:

it's a strange way of presenting the charges and credits (particularly the $25.00 credit - that one I don't understand).

@davis_j this is normal.  More info here:  Understanding Transaction History

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@davis_j wrote:

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 8.56.52 PM.png

Here's a screen cap of my transaction summary for September.  It all adds up to the right amount that I owe, but for me - it's a strange way of presenting the charges and credits (particularly the $25.00 credit - that one I don't understand).

The way plan builder works is that you get credits for buying two or three plan features.  In this particular case, all three plan features, talk, text and data were purchased resulting in a credit of $25.  Each of the plan feature items are separately priced.  The total cost of the plan elements less the credit for purchasing multiple features yield net plan price.  In this particular case, it is $57.  

Anyway, the plan builder was eliminated under the guise of enhancing the self serve user experience.  See announcement link.  TBH, the platitudes were unnecessary.  I guess that is how marketing works.  

davis_j

Wow, really?  Then I guess I won't make any changes.

davis_j

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 8.56.52 PM.png

Here's a screen cap of my transaction summary for September.  It all adds up to the right amount that I owe, but for me - it's a strange way of presenting the charges and credits (particularly the $25.00 credit - that one I don't understand).

Unfortunately it's gone. Whoever had customized plans in past are still on them but not available now for anyone else.

DanielleMarie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@davis_j wrote:

It seems the website has been overhauled since I last visited.  Payment / transaction details are very hard to understand, and for some reason I also cannot find the build my own plan option within any of the navigation menus.  I can find the pre-made plans, but no options to build my own.

They got rid of the build your own plans.

Could you please elaborate on the payment/transaction stuff?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@davis_j wrote:

Build your own plans are no longer available. Clcik on Plans to see the latest options.

If you currently have one, it's still valid. Just don't change your plan because as said...they're not available any longer.

Need Help? Let's chat.