cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to purchase add-on for travel data

ccolleen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey all!

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me when to buy add-on USA roaming data before my upcoming trip. 

It looks like all the USA data add-on's are good for 10 days only, but does the 10 day period start when you first use data in the USA? Or does the 10 day period start from date of purchase? Either way, is there some delay from when you purchase the add-on to when you can access the data (i.e: a 24hr wait)?

Thanks in advance, and happy holidays!

6 REPLIES 6

@ccolleen  Yes i do agree with @Mitch1  if you have a dual sim phone this a less expensive option. Currently you can still recieve text messages in the US and some have reported getting incoming calls. You cannot call out or send texts but you can connect to wifi and use apps like textnow or messenger for calling and sending messages.

If you wish to purchase a US roaming add on you can add the funds to your account ahead of time. The day of travel either purchase it before you leave or once you arrive. If your arrival time is late in the day and you do not need it immediately wait until after midnight et. to purchase it so you have a full day as day one. Adding a second add on ( for travel longer than 10 days) requires a full 24 hr. wait time before being able to purchase the next one. Be aware once returning these add ons may disable your texting for 24 hrs. If you require texting immediately once arriving home opening a service ticket a few hours before arriving home will shorten the wait time for a moderator to fix this issue.

Mitch1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've always bought a second pay as you go data sim card , since my phone has duel sim card slots. Amazon sells prepaid data sims for the us , Canada and Europe that are reasonable. More flexible then the current options 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@ccolleen wrote:

Hey all!

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me when to buy add-on USA roaming data before my upcoming trip. 

It looks like all the USA data add-on's are good for 10 days only, but does the 10 day period start when you first use data in the USA? Or does the 10 day period start from date of purchase? Either way, is there some delay from when you purchase the add-on to when you can access the data (i.e: a 24hr wait)?

You can also consider waiting until you're in US before getting the US add-on. Go to a cafe or Walmart and connect to their free wifi..log into your account. First load $$ into Available Funds for the add-on...then go to Purchase Add-ons and buy the one you want. Restart phone. You might have to manually select either of T-mobile or AT&T...whichever works best for you. Your 10 days start as soon as you click "Buy".

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Best to buy the US Roaming add on the day you depart to make full use of it. It will commence when purchased even if it's late in the day. In that case, the second day would commence at midnight.

Thanks, important information.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@ccolleen wrote:

Hey all!

The day of your purchase (eastern time) is day one of 10. Whether you buy the add on at 3am or 11:55pm

Need Help? Let's chat.