cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When roaming on US plan, calls dropped after about 20 seconds

pjmac177
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My wife recently went to the USA so I got her a US talk and text plan (10 days).  It worked fine until I extended the plan for another 10 days.  I did this one day before the original plan expired.

From that point on, the phone never worked properly.  At first it advised there was no service then, about three days after trying everything (Roaming On, ATT provider, etc.) it started working again but the calls, in and out, woutd cut out after about 20 seconds.

After more frustration, and risking a divorce, I added yet another roaming plan, even though there was about 8 days left in the existing plan.  Didn't help.

Phone stayed with this problem until she got home.

Two things   1) anyone else experience this?   2) can I get a credit for the $15. for the plan I added on top of the existing plan?

9 REPLIES 9

Phealey
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Reading through all the threads on this topic after having the same issue of dropped calls after about 1 min while roaming in the US, It seems the problem is related to overlapping add on plans.  I have raised this with the PM mods but had no response. Just wondering if anyone has has had a successful resolution?

pjmac177

Thanks for the replys.  Somewhere along the line I did hear about the issue of having two addons overlap a bit.  I previously checked on this in this community but could find no comments on the isssue. 

I guess PM should either resolve the issue or advise people in the addon instructions that this may occur. Perhaps some of the knowledgeable people here could get this done.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pjmac177 wrote:

From what I can gather, it seems imperative that you must let one addon expire before adding another or problems happen.  Not sure that is well known in the community if true.

@pjmac177 yes this is a known problem.  If you have more than 1 active instance of the US Roaming Talk add-on at a time, all calls disconnect within about 20-30 seconds until such time as the extra US Roaming Talk add-on(s) are removed and you left with only 1.  Very annoying.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@pjmac177 wrote:

My wife recently went to the USA so I got her a US talk and text plan (10 days).  It worked fine until I extended the plan for another 10 days.  I did this one day before the original plan expired.

From that point on, the phone never worked properly.  At first it advised there was no service then, about three days after trying everything (Roaming On, ATT provider, etc.) it started working again but the calls, in and out, woutd cut out after about 20 seconds.

After more frustration, and risking a divorce, I added yet another roaming plan, even though there was about 8 days left in the existing plan.  Didn't help.

Two things   1) anyone else experience this?   2) can I get a credit for the $15. for the plan I added on top of the existing plan?

Unless you plan to spent time in the back woods with no free wifi available......The simple solution is to use the free iMessaging and free Face Time. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pjmac177 wrote:

Yeah....that may have been my mistake.  You are correct that the add on is no longer visible but there is another US roaming add on (there are two), and that is the one I used.

From what I can gather, it seems imperative that you must let one addon expire before adding another or problems happen.  Not sure that is well known in the community if true.

Most of the regulars would know there are niggles with the roaming. There's even the possibility that one would need to wait a whole other day after expiry to re-purchase the same one. I can't keep track of them.

pjmac177

Yeah....that may have been my mistake.  You are correct that the add on is no longer visible but there is another US roaming add on (there are two), and that is the one I used.

pjmac177

Thanks.  Sent ticket to moderator.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@pjmac177 wrote:

You were able to renew the same add-on before it expired?  Usually they are not even visible for purchase until after the 10 days has completed.  As for your issue I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing that.  If someone has I am sure they will chime in

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

US roaming add-ons last for 10 days so usually should let them expire before purchasing another one.  If you wanted to add it before they expired then a moderator would be needed to change it.  PM is prepaid but you could try submitting a ticket to a moderator to inquire about getting a refurnd.

If you are having trouble with your services, the next step is to contact a moderator. Here is the link to create a ticket through SIMon:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help -> on the line "ask me something" write "moderator" -> then click on "account specific question" -> afterward click on "no, I want a human" -> finally you will see an answer "submit a ticket Click me!"

Need Help? Let's chat.