cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is PM planning to offer unlimited data?

tim_zhao_tim
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Now Rogers is offering unlimited data on post-paid plan. Its pre-paid Chatr has already been offering unlimited data for a long time - x GB @ 3G speed, followed by unlimited 2G-speed data (which is perfectly fine for checking e-mail & simple web browsing).

So when is PM planning to offer unlimited data?

If PM is not planning to do so, I will switch to Chatr. To me, unlimited data is more important than several dollar saving every month. Also, PM's long-distance calling plan is very expensive compared to Chatr's one.

20 REPLIES 20

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@saeliux wrote:

Was it slow for email and web browsing? Or for what things is it slow? This is interesting. I want to keep my options open.

Did you switch to PM? How does it compare? 

It was slow for browsing. Of course it all depended on the site and whether it was optimised for mobile or text base or more graphics based. Email and messaging apps were fine since those sort of happen in the background. 

XionBunny

@chukdefatey wrote:

@XionBunny wrote:

pigs would fly before Telus would do that on this brand, I'm happy staying with the number one ranked and tested network in this country, have fun with your spotty coverage on rogers and snail pace data speeds, I've been down that road before ugh.

When did chatr data start to flow again?. I have 6GB Mobilicity Grandfathered plan but can barely use any Data because it's ridiculously slow on there congested 3G Network. Yes it's unlimited after 6GB but what good is unlimited when you can't even use your Regular plan allotment.  Now on the other hand Lucky Mobile also recently added unlimited throlled data on all there plans that come with data. So if you considering switching I would switch to Lucky so at least you are able to use data because it runs on the LTE network

Well isn't that a real kick, i left them cause of the lack of unlimited data and picture messaging, now it seems the only draw back is the picture messaging now.

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Triguy wrote:

PM is a third tier provider and competes on price.  The larger providers like Telus & Bell are more competitive based on service and features.  Seems lke once one of the large providers offers unlimited data then the others are almost force to offer the same features to remain competitive.

I describe PM as a low cost, Telus sub-brand.  As such, users get the benefit of the Telus/Bell network (which is the widest coverage in Canada by far) at much lower prices that the Telus and Koodoo brands. Prices are lower because of self-help, no stores, community customer support, limited plans and options....

Regarding OP's question, the answer is whenever PM product managers deem the market is ready for it and that it won't poach customers from the other Telus brands.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM is a third tier provider and competes on price.  The larger providers like Telus & Bell are more competitive based on service and features.  Seems lke once one of the large providers offers unlimited data then the others are almost force to offer the same features to remain competitive.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Network quality is really location-dependent though. You could easily live/work closer to a Rogers site or any other carrier. Overall the TELUS network is great but it really depends on your specific location/situation. 

YVR

@Danitup wrote:

PM (Public Mobile) is the best.. even if u leave you will be back 😛 

The coverage and signal strength is 2nd to none. 🙂 

Remember that Public Mobile owned by Telus and that we get use of their extensive coverage area using Telus towers. I agree with @Danitup  about signal an coverage strength

Danitup

PM (Public Mobile) is the best.. even if u leave you will be back 😛 

The coverage and signal strength is 2nd to none. 🙂 

jor123

@saeliux wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

Chatr unlimited plans start at $25. I think that plan got you 500MB of full 3G data.

They are 3G plans that actually are limited to using the 3G bands - unlike PM.

The throttled data drops to 64kbps on the 3G network. I tried it for 1 month back in Apr/May. It was sloooow. And kludgy. But - it did work and I guess that is the point. 

Before Telus even thinks about offering this to PM, I think Koodo would be in line first. But in general, all 3 telcos need a few quarters to examine how these plans are being used or abused and what cost/benefit it works out to before they expand it to other tiers. 

Was it slow for email and web browsing? Or for what things is it slow? This is interesting. I want to keep my options open.

I've never used Rogers HSPA but I've noticed on PM if I'm on the HSPA network (for whatever reason) the latency is unbearable. Things just don't load (pics and the like with how bloated mobile sites are now). Whether that's congestion or the nature of the beast now that we're all used to LTE, who knows? 

saeliux
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@smp99 wrote:

Chatr unlimited plans start at $25. I think that plan got you 500MB of full 3G data.

The throttled data drops to 64kbps on the 3G network. I tried it for 1 month back in Apr/May. It was sloooow. And kludgy. But - it did work and I guess that is the point. 

Before Telus even thinks about offering this to PM, I think Koodo would be in line first. But in general, all 3 telcos need a few quarters to examine how these plans are being used or abused and what cost/benefit it works out to before they expand it to other tiers. 

smp99

jor123

Unlimited data maybe at 3G speed wouldn't be a bad idea for people who want it. Not sure how it'd be priced in relation to the core TELUS offerings though. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I really love these discussions where one service provider offers something and others are all expected to naturally follow suit.  Why wait, just go get it from the service provider that is offering the deal.  

jonfirlotte

I can't see unlimited internet with PM anytime soon, their model seems to be "get less for less", but you never know!

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@tim_zhao_tim wrote:

Now Rogers is offering unlimited data on post-paid plan. Its pre-paid Chatr has already been offering unlimited data for a long time - x GB @ 3G speed, followed by unlimited 2G-speed data (which is perfectly fine for checking e-mail & simple web browsing).

If PM is not planning to do so, I will switch to Chatr. To me, unlimited data is more important than several dollar saving every month. Also, PM's long-distance calling plan is very expensive compared to Chatr's one.

Never.  My wallet tells me to stay with Public Mobile.  My $120 90 day plan now costs me less than $20 every 90 days to renew, and I have more than enough data, and my plan covers everything I need.

Do not expect your service provider to change for you, rather, change your service provider to get what you need.

vlako030

Back in the day PM used to have unlimited data which was astonishing. If that service have back again it would make this company top the charts.

chukdefatey

@XionBunny wrote:

pigs would fly before Telus would do that on this brand, I'm happy staying with the number one ranked and tested network in this country, have fun with your spotty coverage on rogers and snail pace data speeds, I've been down that road before ugh.

When did chatr data start to flow again?. I have 6GB Mobilicity Grandfathered plan but can barely use any Data because it's ridiculously slow on there congested 3G Network. Yes it's unlimited after 6GB but what good is unlimited when you can't even use your Regular plan allotment.  Now on the other hand Lucky Mobile also recently added unlimited throlled data on all there plans that come with data. So if you considering switching I would switch to Lucky so at least you are able to use data because it runs on the LTE network

XionBunny

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@tim_zhao_tim 

I think never. They would have already did it.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@tim_zhao_tim wrote:

Look around the Public Mobile menues..there may be a plan that you can make use of until something better is offered. Every once in a while, PM has flash bonus sales....maybe they'll have a data plan like you need...but they haven't made announcement of that type of data offering yet.

If you do migrate to someone else...keep an eye on PM Announcements.

Good luck wherever you go.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Pm won't offer unlimited data. Or highly unlikely that it will.

What speed is chatr unlimited data throttled to?

Why not get a plan that better suites your needs? 

Need Help? Let's chat.