cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When data is done, does MMS still work?

CoolCanada
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When my data finished during the last cycle, I think the actual data signal stopped coming as well -- it wasn't just blocked on the back end.

I know that for MMS, data needs to be on. So what happens when I want to send an MMS (which I have unlimited access to under my plan) after my data is done? Has anyone else been in this position? If so, did MMS continue to work?

Can a mod clarify?

6 REPLIES 6

@Nashashuk wrote:
From my experience too (might be my phone) but when I'm out of data I cannot receive nor send MMS even when connected to WiFi. I think it's only the default SMS app doing that. If you use another app like "Hangout" it should work when you have WiFi.

MMS doesn't get sent through Wi-Fi.  The MMS protocol calls for the data in such a message to only be sent through cellular data.  There are apps that can be used to send a picture to someone using non-cellular data, but such messaging apps aren't doing it as MMS.

Programs such as iMessage allowing a picture file to be sent over wi-fi is really just sending the file through an Apple server via regular internet connnection, and then delivering the file to the recipient.  This process goes beyond the normal MMS procedures.

Nashashuk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
From my experience too (might be my phone) but when I'm out of data I cannot receive nor send MMS even when connected to WiFi. I think it's only the default SMS app doing that. If you use another app like "Hangout" it should work when you have WiFi.

Raven_Jet
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
When your data is used up, only regular text messaging will work. That is from my experience.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@CoolCanada Yes

Two reasons:

1- Non data plans can still send MMS

2- From personal testing the cap is not hard, the network will let small overages through (no charge)

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just a FYI, if you have an iPhone and is using iMessage, MMS will still work if you are connected to a wifi network. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Since you ran out, you can give it a try. You won't be charged anything extra. If it doesn't work that means you need data to send MMS. In this case, you can wait till your plan renews or purchase data add-on that will roll-over your billing cycle. 

Need Help? Let's chat.