cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the point of 500 Canada Wide Long Distance Minutes when all plans have Canada-Wide Calling?

BasesLoadedWalk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I was just browsing the addon section of Public Mobile, and saw there was an addon for 500 Canada-Wide Long Distance minutes. Why would this be offered when all the plans have Canada calling included?

16 REPLIES 16

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@ottawa 

I came here to check if my free "international" minutes included airtime, which I believe it does. 

Yes, if you use up the plan 100 plan minutes during the cycle, the promo international minutes can be used for Canada wide calling.

ottawa

@LovesToPM wrote:

At $5 for 500 minutes, the 0.01 rate is hard to beat.

Ha! I got 500 minutes for $0 which is even better. But seriously, you're absolutely right. 

I claimed the free 500min just in case I wanted to call to US (probably wouldn't call the other countries). Then this month (Jan 1 actually) I changed to the $15 plan for now, with only 100min/mo outgoing. I came here to check if my free "international" minutes included airtime, which I believe it does. Never thought I'd need to use them that way (had unlimited Canada-wide and thought I always would). I would have paid the $5 if I didn't already have 900min (?) from the last 2 freebies.

Thanks PM.

=aw

mobileguy

Perfect, then I'm covered.

@mobileguy 

If you're talking about the 500 minute international FREE Holiday gift. These are the countries you can call from Canada 

International calling covers the following countries: Canada, United States, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, and Venezuela

mobileguy

I did get the bonus free 500 min add-on and I think that includes long distance.  So I'm hoping I'm covered if I ever need to make a call to the US.  Right now, all my calls are within Canada.

@mobileguy  outside of Canada. Only place you can use your phone is in USA by purchasing a 10 day USA add-on. 

Everywhere else it will not work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mobileguy wrote:

I have the $15 plan.  What happens if I try to make a call outside Canada?

@mobileguy 

Without an add-on present, you'll hear a recording saying you have no long distance and the call won't connect.

But you've been here a while...try it...see what happens.

mobileguy

I have the $15 plan.  What happens if I try to make a call outside Canada?

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

I'm not seeing any plan offered that only includes provincial calling. Where are these plans? I would love to sign up for that as I only tend to call local numbers 99% of the time.

Public Mobile no longer offers that option.

The lowest level offered for calls is Canada-wide.

At $5 for 500 minutes, the 0.01 rate is hard to beat.

BasesLoadedWalk

I'm not seeing any plan offered that only includes provincial calling. Where are these plans? I would love to sign up for that as I only tend to call local numbers 99% of the time.

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

Is there an addon just for additional minutes, but not necessarily long distance minutes?

No, there isn't. They're considered the same thing at Public Mobile when it comes to the Canadian long distance minute add-on.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

The $15 plan has Limited Canada-wide Talk (100 minutes outgoing, Unlimited incoming).

The $5 Canada-wide Talk add-on provides 500 minutes. Add-on minutes are used after plan minutes are gone. Unused add-on minutes remain attached to the account month after month until they're all used.

It's a good deal for those of us who don't need a lot of Talk.

BasesLoadedWalk

Is there an addon just for additional minutes, but not necessarily long distance minutes?

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

I was just browsing the addon section of Public Mobile, and saw there was an addon for 500 Canada-Wide Long Distance minutes. Why would this be offered when all the plans have Canada calling included?

Some customers have plans that only have province-wide calling. Also, the 500 long distance minutes can be used as additional minutes on plans that have a limited amount of calling included.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hi @BasesLoadedWalk 

Not all plans include unlimited calling.

For example, the $15 plan includes 100 minutes of out-going calls. It's a perfect candidate for the 500 minutes calling add-on.

DM100watch
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My $15 plan does not have unlimited minutes.  So it is a boon for me!

Need Help? Let's chat.