cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is International Text?

ilovecats516
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the $25 plan and it says I have international text but every time I try to text someone while I’m in the US, I get a message that says that I need a roaming add-on. Funny thing is, the person I texted will something get the text. Could someone please explain what International text is? Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ilovecats516 wrote:

Ok, but then why when I send a text from the US would the person I texted get my text sometimes?

@ilovecats516 aside from the possible explanation of iMessage sending over Wi-Fi, could you have been physically near the border and attached to a Canadian tower (despite standing in the USA) without realizing it?

@computergeek541 wrote:

@slash407 wrote:

u can just bypass it by using wifi. Other than that u need roaming which costs alot

SMS/Text message cannot be sent through Wi-Fi.  A roaming package would be needed while in the U.S.A.

@computergeek541 I can only hope @slash407 meant using a data-based IM service like WhatsApp, Skype, Facebook Messenger, etc.  However, since he or she didn't say that, it's hard to say for sure.  I'm giving the benefit of the doubt....

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@slash407 wrote:

u can just bypass it by using wifi. Other than that u need roaming which costs alot

SMS/Text message cannot be sent through Wi-Fi.  A roaming package would be needed while in the U.S.A.

bh90210

means sending text to any cell # in the world from Canada. You won't have texting if outside Canada or if you don't buy roaming package in US

@ilovecats516 wrote:

Ok, but then why when I send a text from the US would the person I texted get my text sometimes?

If the sender has wifi and is using an Apple product and the reciever is also using an Apple product, then the message goes through as an iMessage.

@ilovecats516 

From my experience, you can receive texts from others while in the US (without roaming).  I could not send texts though while in US to others without roaming package.  Possible glitch in the system is why sometimes, you may be able to send texts. Edit: another possibility is maybe you have WIFI when your texts went though  ie. iMessage or whatsapp

ilovecats516

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@ilovecats516 

International text is texting to other countries like USA while in Canada.  You can text other country mobile numbers, but you have to be located in Canada.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

International text is texting from Canada to any number in the world. 

You need a 10 USA roaming addon to use public mobile in the USA. 

chrisbasm
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ilovecats516  International texting means texting to anywhere from anywhere within Canada.  If you are in the US, you need a roaming add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.