cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to my data???

Jolobo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone,

So yesterday I was out for a drive so wasn't on my phone much at all except to play music and according to my records at 12:18 pm I used almost 9000 MGB. What on earth would have caused me to loose data like that when I was barely on my phone? I have never used up my data in a whole month before and suddenly at 12:18 I lost that much? Is there something wrong with my phone?? Help!

8 REPLIES 8

@darlicious wrote:

Edit: correction the data warnings aren't triggered for the plan data but they will warn you when your almost finished all your data....not too costly if you have 1gb but if you have 10gb of add on data....

Have you confirmed that warnings are sent near all add-on data being consumed? I have not personally, but it seems experiences posted here indicate that no data alerts are sent at all with any data-add ons present on the account...

@Jolobo 

I have my data warning set very low compared to my available data....when I was on the $40/5gb plan the warning was set at 2gb. Currently I'm on the $15/250mb plan and it's set at 100mb. I have some significant data add ons so I also set the the data limit at 250mb so I will know I have to reset it after my plan data runs out to use my add ons. The data warning from pm is not triggered at the 75% or 90 % usage levels when you have add ons.....so you could easily burn thru add on data without noticing it.

Edit: correction the data warnings arent triggered for the plan data but they will warn you when your almost finished all your data....not too costly if you have 1gb but if you have 10gb of add on data....

Brody88
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In my opinion, it could be a few things:

1. Music being downloaded through a streaming site, which could use a lot of data, especially if it was something with video.

2. App running in the background that is downloading or uploading.  I was downloading something (in my house through wifi) and made the mistake of leaving the house and it continued through my data.  It was a big enough file, but not enough to use all of my data thankfully.  Pause any downloads when not on wifi.

3. Apps or system downloading updates.  Make sure to set all updates to only download over WIFI only, and therefore not use data.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Jolobo wrote:

Hi everyone,

So yesterday I was out for a drive so wasn't on my phone much at all except to play music and according to my records at 12:18 pm I used almost 9000 MGB. What on earth would have caused me to loose data like that when I was barely on my phone? I have never used up my data in a whole month before and suddenly at 12:18 I lost that much? Is there something wrong with my phone?? Help!

@Jolobo Double check that number; 9000 MGB = 9 GB and PM has no 9 GB plan. (well to be accurate some old 90 days plans have more than that).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Jolobo most phones are configured out of the box to only recieve system os updates through wifi. just like @will13am said, having a photo app that is syncing your photos and videos to the cloud can easily use all that data up

if you've checked your "data usage" stats on your phone and no app combines to that amount of data used then contact moderators here to fix your account.

(use the chat bubble options, then click "submit a ticket, click me" option)
https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This sounds like a sync/backup taking place.  Apps that have backup features should be checked to ensure that such actions only take place when connected to WiFi.

@Jolobo check each individual app on your phone to see if there is a guilty party, enable them to download on wifi only. The time on your usage does not mean that was when it was used. The usage history Is updated twice daily arund 12 noon and midnight eastern. Stay safe. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jolobo wrote:

Hi everyone,

You phone may be downloading an update.

Make sure to configure your phone to update using wifi only.

Need Help? Let's chat.