Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does everyone think of public Mobile's plans

Nisgaawolf_88
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Tell me what you think about their plans
10 REPLIES 10

LOL... I read the title and thought “Oh Jeez, I have missed a big announcement from Public Mobile” I thought here was a major change in direction coming IE:Public Mobiles “plans” for the future.... but it could have easily been an April Fool's joke as well....

I will have to remember that for next year... this would be a great place to launch an April Fools topic! People go completely off the rails rather quickly at any suggestion of price increases or other uncompetitive changes associated with their Cell Phone plan!

AE_Collector

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Or, get a referral code from someone you already know who may be with Public Mobile. 

😉 @LurganIeUk 

And you can make a one-time $10 savings if you use some ones referral code from eBay or Craigslist. 

susanjm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Their plans are perfect for me. Here's what I like:

1. I prefer prepaid and I don't use much data.
  2. ALL incoming phone calls are free which is as it should be and as it is in most of the world.
  3. Free unlimited international texting.
  4. Add-ons roll over until you use them up.

Previously I was on a grandfathered TELUS prepaid plan which was no cost originally (it was pay per use 15 cents/minute for talk so I didn't use it for that much) and I had a grandfathered add-on of 250MB of data and unlimited texts. This was $20 per month, no rollover. Then they changed things so the prepaid plan cost $3 per month and came with 5 minutes talk time. Then there came a change in my life where I had to answer the phone most of the time when it rang (rather than letting calls go to voicemail and calling people back). So I started paying $10 every month for 100 Canada-wide minutes, although I mostly still used Hangouts to make phone calls. So it was up to $33 per month for less than I have now. No contest!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The base plans are good at the lower end.  Plans with more data are not so competitive anymore.  What sets Public Mobile apart from the competition is the rewards.  Get hooked on that and you are set.

I think the low end plans (<$35) are good.   Plans over  $35 are not as competitive as many other providers has either lower the price or increase limits.  I don't see PM changed much.  The plan itself has be pretty much the same for years.

Service wise, I guess it's solid as it is using Telus network.  Not much to complains

Roaming can be an issue.  It's US roaming only.  Some people might need a phone travelling and use it for emergency only, you don't have this option here.  But, all Tier3 providers are like this (I forgot  which one, there is one actually not even have US Roaming)

@Nisgaawolf_88 

Other things to consider about PM plans:

Public mobile uses Telus/Bell towers, so good coverage across Canada

No overages.  Once you use up your allotment, the service just stops (ie. data).

No contract.  No credit checks.  

No call centre. Any issues with billing, technical, etc. has to go through online forum. It takes time to get things fixed.
No international roaming, except to USA (need to buy 10 day roaming package)
Long distance calling to certain number of countries 
Data is 3 G (capped Lte) - for most people, should not make a big difference.
No unlimited data like Lucky (low speed)
No Wifi calling or eSIM.  

The $15 and $25 plans do offer some value, but the $35+ plans are not as competitive as other companies plans.  The reward systems helps lower the pricing.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/reward-rules

@Nisgaawolf_88 

And the great thing about pre-paid, is no contracts, no overages, and if you don't like the service for whatever reason, you don't feel tied to staying.

Except, why wouldn't you.

Welcome to Public Mobile.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Nisgaawolf_88 

I like them.   They are no-frills, easy plans.

They all include unlimited texting, worldwide.

They all include some level of talk, as low as $15 - as high as $50.

They all include some level of data, made better with auto-pay.

Additionally, their add-on's don't expire and remain on account until consumed.

Plus, every once in awhile, Public Mobile throws a freebie our way which usually includes free data and/or international minutes.

ALSO, every year you're a customer, you get an additional $1.00 off per 30-day cycle, up to a maximum of $5.00 off per cycle after 5 years of loyal service.   

Nisgaawolf_88
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Tell me what you think about their plans

Need Help? Let's chat.