cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What data gets used first

Krog29
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have "Black Friday" promotion data and regular data with my plan.  Which one of these gets used first?  I find it hard to figure out if how much data I actually have left using the self serve system.

24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth wrote:

I imagine that people who get AutoPay bonus data without AutoPay enabled - if, indeed, such wondrously fortunate hypothetical folks even exist - would only dare to discuss the details in circumlocutive ways.

All the bugs that I know of have been talked about and mentioned on multiple occassions. But I can't know what I don't know. 🙂

I imagine that people who get AutoPay bonus data without AutoPay enabled - if, indeed, such wondrously fortunate hypothetical folks even exist - would only dare to discuss the details in circumlocutive ways.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mm80 wrote:

@Anonymous Aren't the terms saying they take away autopay bonus if you disable it or that you lose bonus if changing plans mostly a dare or bufffing by Public?   

Not necessarily. But then most people don't want to call the bluff and try it only to find it did exactly as the company said. But there are a hardy few that do try something and find that what was said is not what happens. You might read about it once and then it sinks into oblivion.

But certainly, strange things happen around here.

@mm80 

Youre preaching to the choir here.....

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious For the RBC promo, the terms had that plan change restriction. This offer, the terms were only say yes in text.  Public can't impose terms afterwards.

When they started those types of promos and theY came with the  “no plan change” wording we suspected it may not actually happen. But I saw several people on the community asking and then trying and they reported back that indeed the promo vanished. So it is in the set up to be automatically removed. I heard of one person Who wanted to bump up their Plan to a higher monthly spend Who contacted a moderator to change the plan for them and they were able to keep the add-on for them afterwards. But The moderator potentially wasn’t supposed to do that. It just seems silly to me to make someone think twice about upgrading because of the threat of losing an add-on.

AE_Collector

mm80

@Anonymous Aren't the terms saying they take away autopay bonus if you disable it or that you lose bonus if changing plans mostly a dare or bufffing by Public?   

@AE_Collector 

RBC  promo was supposed to be lost if you changed your plan it stayed....on the right hand side of the overview. I haven't actually used any data add ons on that account I can only speak of the small amount used on my $10 account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector 

My main account still has all the gifts going back to last summer. Before that, I had bought a 200mb add-on. On the very rare ocassions I turn on data on that account, it hits the 200mb bucket. If ever comes the day that I consume that 200 then I wonder if it'll start to use the summer gift or the 2-1gb add-ons I bought when the price changed.

My other data account started life with last years 5gb/SIM promo. It then got the summer gift. Data pulled from that. It drained. It returned to the 5gb. Then the xmas gift. It pulled from that. It drained. Then back to the 5gb. Then the first 1gb gift. It pulls from that. The 4gb is there too but remains untouched.

The 5gb appears as just like any add-on.

Another 5gb promo was Black Friday. It appeared on the right side under promos. Funny things are going on there too.

Then there was that RBC promo that darlicious experienced.

@mm80 

Basically what you say is true but how would you account for say the 5Gb new customer data add-on that some people received when signing up? Sure it is just data but it specifically came with a “change plans and you lose the remainder of that add-on” statement. That should move those add-ons to the very top of the list to be used up first so that one day this decade you will be able to change plans without losing that data. Thus it needs to be accounted for separately.

@darlicious 

What was the details of the RBC data add-on? Was it conventional add-on or just more monthly use it or lose it data? If conventional add-on did it get used first once plan data was consumed?

I agree that the holiday 2019 1Gb data add-on wound up being used before the August 2019 1Gb add-on. My wife and I hadn’t tapped the Aug 2019 1Gb gift, then received the Christmas 2019 1Gb gift and it was the first and only one we have occasionally used some of. I assumed it was the order they hit our data/add-on list. The Christmas 2019 gift was added to the top of the list. To me that was a mistake as it now became the first to get used even if the August 2019 gift had already seen some use. Sure, it doesn’t matter but simple good house keeping dictates that you want to use one up and get rid of it before tapping into the next one unless a more recent one has some sort of expiry or “no plan changes” wording.

I notice the recent gifts have been added to the bottom of the data/add-on list likely ensuring they will not be tapped until previous data and minutes add-ons are used up.

AE_Collector

@mm80 

Purchased data gets added to the same line which will just say 1GB Data add on but the counter will reflect the amount of data. 1024, 2048, 3072 etc...

Korth
Mayor / Maire

They're probably listed as individual items because they have different part numbers of some sort. The end-user interface we get to see probably cleans up most of the internal administration details. The add-ons involve money so they involve billing so they involve accountants. Compare Self-Serve today (which still confuses some customers) vs the unintuitive corporate accounting mess in Self-Serve 5 years ago.

The system is probably designed so that, for example, a PM agent could add 1GB to your account by dropping in a special 1GB add-on. Not so that a PM agent could edit the field from 7322MB to 8346MB.

Self-Serve interface could be made to just lump all the add-on data into one figure. I think it lists discrete items to minimize confusion - when add-ons appear on account as purchases or as gifts then people will want to explicitly see them for confirmation.

mm80

@darlicious Public could put all add-on data in one line and it would be the same. Only types of data matter, not which add-on. That probably list seprerately because someome will say it didn't get added when people don't realize it was added to one big total.

@Korth 

I do know that your holiday data will be used  before last Augusts free gift of 1gb. I used maybe 20mb of it then recieved the holiday gift and I used about 30mb of that. I've used a few MB here and there and theyve all come out of it despite getting RBC promo data in between and purchasing and getting promo data after the holiday data that any usage currently comes from the holiday gb.

mm80

@Korth Plan data and autopay bonus data both expire when plan does so there's no difference. You already know that autopay bonus is usually included in the same block as plan data. It doesn't matter anyways.

For which data add-on gets used first, that also doesn't matter. Data all counts the same. It's the total remaining in the add-ons that counts.

I know that you're only asking but it makes no difference to the customer's service.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@mm80 

I understand that. I don't make any distinction between base plan data and (AutoPay) Bonus plan data. Apparently Self-Serve doesn't either, it just lumps them into a single line item in "My Data & Add-Ons".

My confusion about usage order is what happens when you have multiple data add-ons. Once the plan data is all gone and the add-on data starts being used, which one gets gobbled first?

Capture.PNG

mm80

@Korth 

Order is plan data, recurring bonus data or promos that have to be used up in 30 days, and last are add-ons. It's the way best for customers.

Add-on data doesn't start getting used until plan data has been fully consumed.

I don't know what the order of usage would be if (because of some combination of purchases, promos, gifts, contests, etc) you have multiple flavours of add-on data attached to the account.

I do know that you get sent SMS notifications when usage hits 75% and 95% thresholds. And that these % usage messages become meaninglessly wrong and buggy when add-on data is available.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

One would hope that after the plan data hits 0 any promotional data add-on that prevents one from changing plans would be next up.

AE_Collector

Those worms can be awfully slippery and wiggly. 🙂

One would hope that after the plan data hits 0 any promotional data add-on that prevents one from changing plans would be next up.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hairbag1 wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

I have a few data bonus add-ons and it seems like the ones not under "promotions" are used first after the monthly data is gone, then add-ons, then the data add on under "promotions" on the right panel. 

Whatever data add-ons you pay for, get used first (after plan data runs out)...then the bonus data gets used until your next regular plan renewal when your plan data gets stocked up again.

Oh yeah that's right. My old 200MB add-on gets hit on those rare occasions I use data on my main line. In between gifts and add-on purchases after that I guess we'll see what gets hit next.

My data line used gifts and then went back to using my original 5gb add-on of last years promo. But it also looked like just another add-on.

@jor123 wrote:

I have a few data bonus add-ons and it seems like the ones not under "promotions" are used first after the monthly data is gone, then add-ons, then the data add on under "promotions" on the right panel. 

Whatever data add-ons you pay for, get used first (after plan data runs out)...then the bonus data gets used until your next regular plan renewal when your plan data gets stocked up again.

jor123

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Krog29 wrote:

I have "Black Friday" promotion data and regular data with my plan.  Which one of these gets used first?  I find it hard to figure out if how much data I actually have left using the self serve system.

@Krog29 hi your plan data is used first then if you run out of that your add on gets used until next cycle starts

Need Help? Let's chat.