cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What counts as premium text?

AVancouver
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

New user here. I know that international text doesn't include premium text. Does premium text include all short code numbers? In Vancouver, Translink has a free text service that tells you when your bus arrives when you text 33333, does this count?

Thanks for any help.

9 REPLIES 9

bbting

I have the same issue. I switched over from Rogers to PM on Sep 7. Today is Sep 11. When I used translink 33333, never got any reply. Even weird, the history usage is shown as minutes and not SMS, and I got charged for 6 minutes. Can anyone help me understand this? What is going wrong here?

SL9

Also a relatively new user here.  I know this is an old post, but last week when I first signed up to PM I wondered the same thing.  I used the Translink text service you described on a daily basis when I was with Fido, and when I switched over to PM it stopped working.  The SMS would send but I would not get replies.  But about 5 days after switching it suddenly worked without me doing anything.  I'm guessing it takes a few days for things to verify to act as a countermeasure against potential fraud for switching phone numbers (but I read that's only for banks, so not sure why a transit service would do the same)?  Regardless, long story short the Translink 33333 service works with PM.

AVancouver

Awesome. Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I can't mark two people as the solution.

Correct; there are NEVER any extra charges with PM. You have prepaid for all the services provided by your plan.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

AVancouver

Sweet. You don't get charged for texting it either?

Not all short codes are supported. This is the only list I have found: Short Codes. However, if you try a short code that does not transmit, it's not on the list yet. If you have some you would like added suggest them in the Public Lab.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

etsat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Since I use them, I know the Translink texts work, and I also know the short text codes from companies like Google and Microsoft for two-factor authentication work. 

AVancouver

Oh, but on https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans in footnote 3, it says "Premium and subscription-based messages are not included". Do normal short code numbers not count?

My previous carrier counted it as premium so I'm just making sure.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Text on every plan PM offers is the same. There is no such thing as Premium texting on PM. So, as long as that translink texting service is based in Canada, it should work. 

Need Help? Let's chat.