cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Went to the us for 10 days came back to canada and now I cant receive text messages

Candita10
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

27 REPLIES 27

@Anonymous @cavemantoronto 

Good questions indeed. I won't pretend to have any answers lol.

The powers-that-be will have to work on them if it comes to that.

@LovesToPM wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

I have a weird idea. Let's change the add-on so that it doesn't expire. LOL no expiry, no problem ever. Smiley LOL

Just throwing out a question for @Tiana_V 

If the account in question goes through a plan renewal, would it fix this problem?

If yes, then is it possible to have the roaming add-ons expire upon plan renewal instead of 10 days.

How can that happen? Is that a hint to bring back a plan?

Not at all. The topic is about not being able to receive texts when the US Roaming texting add-on expires on day 10.

But how can you make add-on expiry line up with plan? People don't wait until day 20 of plan to travel.

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

I have a weird idea. Let's change the add-on so that it doesn't expire. LOL no expiry, no problem ever. Smiley LOL

If the account in question goes through a plan renewal, would it fix this problem?

If yes, then is it possible to have the roaming add-ons expire upon plan renewal instead of 10 days.

Not at all. The topic is about not being able to receive texts when the US Roaming texting add-on expires on day 10.

@LovesToPM wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LovesToPM wrote:

What happens when you consume a feature? Can you buy another one? The same? Wait 24 hours?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Tiana_V wrote:

@srlawren We fully recognize how inconvenient this bug is. We are currently working on a fix for this issue, rest assured that it will be fixed in 2020. Updates will be provided as they become available. 

Thanks @Tiana_V, very much looking forward to this!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

@Tiana_V  @It might be worthwhile  to put a warning on the addons page "caution when purchasing this add-on sms will not work for 24 hours on return to Canada, we are actively trying to fix this issue..." So at least people are aware. 

Another option would simply be to disable the purchase of the sms add-on. No add-on, no issues. Make it available when the issue is fixed.

@stonechucker wrote:

Hey, that's a 364 days remaining timeframe as January 2nd is almost finished Ed in the ET.  Hope it's sooner, rather than later.

No pressure, piece of cake, just like fixing the delayed password reset email.  Smiley Very Happy

@srlawren wrote:

@Alan_K @Tiana_V @Dave_M 

Hey folks, I know it's NYE and you're likely on holidays and hopefully doing something nice and fun!  But when you are back in the office on the 2nd or the 6th or the 13th or whenever, could you please, please fix the US Roaming Texting add-on expiry bug?  This bug has now been around for over 3 years, ever since US Roaming was [nicely, thanks again!] introduced in late 2016.  Honestly, there is no excuse for this to have not been fixed in the 36 months that followed, and it needs to be addressed, and addressed now.

"Why is he so worked up about this minor inconvenience?", you may be asking yourself as you read this.  Since you [presumably] asked, here's why I think this bug is brutal and needs to be squished:

1) For up to 24 hours after this add-on expires, people are unable to receive any incoming SMS messages.

2) The messages sent to the PM customer during that period of time are lost forever, not just delayed.  They are gone, into the digital abyss.

3) The intended recipient of the message [again, your paying and loyal customer] has absolutely no idea that they missed any messages, unless the sender later follows up to ask why they never got a response.

4) The sender of the affected messages have no idea the intended recipient never got the message.  They get no errors, undeliverable bounce, or feedback of any kind.  It looks to them as if the message got through just fine as usual.

5) This happens to nearly everyone (if not, in fact, literally everyone) that uses a US Roaming Texting 10-day add-on.  It seems to be indiscriminant.

6) There is no warning to your customers buying the add-on that this is likely to happen.  They have no reasonable way to expect this undesired system behaviour before running into it.

7) There is no (to the best of my knowledge) support material published about this issue, or public acknolwedgement of it, despite it being a "well known" issue to us community regulars.

😎 I am only active a fraction of what I once was in the community, yet I continue to see new mesages like this one pretty much every time I sign in--sometimes multiple.  Your customers are confused, don't know what's wrong and how to fix it.  

This has to end.  Please tell me this will be fixed in 2020.  I do not want to have to post this again to your next NYE.  I should not have to.  Nobody else should have to suffer this bug.

Happy New Year!

Let me try to add one more to this list.  The moderator team interaction time is generally so long that there is pretty much no chance that a customer can recover from the bug before things auto correct.  

@Tiana_V 
So...if it is being worked on I have to assume that someone has put the usual suggestions through a test. IE: tested to see what percentage of time doing things like rebooting the phone or airplane mode on/off has fixed the glitch upon return to Canada. any chance if sharing the best suggestions with us to better help those who show up here looking for help?

AE_Collector

@stonechucker wrote:

Hey, that's a 364 days remaining timeframe as January 2nd is almost finished Ed in the ET.  Hope it's sooner, rather than later.

I don't pretend to understand what's involved in fixing this bug, but Public Mobile has known about this since the beginning - more than 3 years ago. Public Mobile's response so far, has been simply unacceptable. I can't understand why something that is broken continues to be offered. This isn't one of the silly Expired/Suspended bugs that doesn't actually affect the service. This bug causes part of the service to stop working.

@srlawren wrote:

@Alan_K @Tiana_V @Dave_M 

Hey folks, I know it's NYE and you're likely on holidays and hopefully doing something nice and fun!  But when you are back in the office on the 2nd or the 6th or the 13th or whenever, could you please, please fix the US Roaming Texting add-on expiry bug?  This bug has now been around for over 3 years, ever since US Roaming was [nicely, thanks again!] introduced in late 2016.  Honestly, there is no excuse for this to have not been fixed in the 36 months that followed, and it needs to be addressed, and addressed now.

"Why is he so worked up about this minor inconvenience?", you may be asking yourself as you read this.  Since you [presumably] asked, here's why I think this bug is brutal and needs to be squished:

1) For up to 24 hours after this add-on expires, people are unable to receive any incoming SMS messages.

2) The messages sent to the PM customer during that period of time are lost forever, not just delayed.  They are gone, into the digital abyss.

3) The intended recipient of the message [again, your paying and loyal customer] has absolutely no idea that they missed any messages, unless the sender later follows up to ask why they never got a response.

4) The sender of the affected messages have no idea the intended recipient never got the message.  They get no errors, undeliverable bounce, or feedback of any kind.  It looks to them as if the message got through just fine as usual.

5) This happens to nearly everyone (if not, in fact, literally everyone) that uses a US Roaming Texting 10-day add-on.  It seems to be indiscriminant.

6) There is no warning to your customers buying the add-on that this is likely to happen.  They have no reasonable way to expect this undesired system behaviour before running into it.

7) There is no (to the best of my knowledge) support material published about this issue, or public acknolwedgement of it, despite it being a "well known" issue to us community regulars.

😎 I am only active a fraction of what I once was in the community, yet I continue to see new mesages like this one pretty much every time I sign in--sometimes multiple.  Your customers are confused, don't know what's wrong and how to fix it.  

This has to end.  Please tell me this will be fixed in 2020.  I do not want to have to post this again to your next NYE.  I should not have to.  Nobody else should have to suffer this bug.

Happy New Year!

@srlawren We fully recognize how inconvenient this bug is. We are currently working on a fix for this issue, rest assured that it will be fixed in 2020. Updates will be provided as they become available. 

@Nezgar wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

That's a known glitch when the 10 Day US Roaming talk/text/data add-on expires. Wait for 24 hours after it expires and all should be well again.

Yes I know it's a known glitch, I read about it here all the time... But some people suggest rebooting phones and airplane mode, I'm just curious if someone can confirm if that actually accellerated the fix instead of just waiting 24 hours.

No point suggesting reboots or airplane mode if someone can confirm they didn't help...

Yea...the only sure way to fix it is to either wait it out or get the Moderators on it...again !

When it happened to me...the only way it got fixed was waiting. I tried all other suggestions without success.

@hairbag1 wrote:

That's a known glitch when the 10 Day US Roaming talk/text/data add-on expires. Wait for 24 hours after it expires and all should be well again.

Yes I know it's a known glitch, I read about it here all the time... But some people suggest rebooting phones and airplane mode, I'm just curious if someone can confirm if that actually accellerated the fix instead of just waiting 24 hours.

No point suggesting reboots or airplane mode if someone can confirm they didn't help...

@Nezgar wrote:

So can anyone comment or confirm if flipping airplane mode on/off upon return to Canada help resolve thie issue? It seems plausible, as it forces the phone to kind of 'logoff' and 'logon' the network again... Or is the only solution literally to wait 24 hours, or have the mods do some background magic...

So can anyone comment or confirm if flipping airplane mode on/off upon return to Canada help resolve thie issue? It seems plausible, as it forces the phone to kind of 'logoff' and 'logon' the network again... Or is the only solution literally to wait 24 hours, or have the mods do some background magic...

@srlawren Making things worse is how I thought that this was about to be fixed, but then it seems as if nothing happened.

@stonechucker wrote:

I signed in specifically to bravo @srlawren @and his post.  Fix this issue.  It has been far too long as a known issue.

Ditto.

I signed in specifically to bravo @srlawren @and his post.  Fix this issue.  It has been far too long as a known issue.

srlawren

@Alan_K @Tiana_V @Dave_M 

Happy New Year!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Emmamcc902 wrote:

Definitely contact a moderator. I've heard of this issue before. My friend took her SIM card out and put it back in and it worked again. But that may not work for you. Give it a try and if it doesn't work, contact support. 

@Candita10  Have you tried: restarting phone, making/receiving a call, or putting in/out of airplane mode? Unless, you have time to wait and if you haven't tried already these few things wouldn't hurt. Does anyone know why the receiving of texts is affected by travel outside of Canada?

Emmamcc902
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Definitely contact a moderator. I've heard of this issue before. My friend took her SIM card out and put it back in and it worked again. But that may not work for you. Give it a try and if it doesn't work, contact support. 

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@Candita10 Unfortunately that's a bug in the system. It will resolve itself in 24 hrs, or you can, create a support ticket:

Explain your issue to SIMON, seen below:

simon.PNG

Use as few words as possible to allow the BOT to understand. Answer his questions until you get here:

Spoiler
submit_ticket.PNG

Click on "Submit a ticket" and the Moderator team will respond to your concern, usually within 48 hours.

Alternatively, you may send a private message to moderator through the following link :
Contact @Moderator_Team

About @Moderator_Team
Moderator Hours
Monday-Friday: 8AM- 12AM EST
Saturday & Sunday: 8AM-10PM EST

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

This is a known bug, in 24 hours your texting should be back

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Candita10 

Known issue/glitch. Should correct itself within 24 hours. Or you try to contact moderator to get earlier help. 

Need Help? Let's chat.