cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Re: Went to the us for 10 days came back to canada and now I cant receive text messages

So can anyone comment or confirm if flipping airplane mode on/off upon return to Canada help resolve thie issue? It seems plausible, as it forces the phone to kind of 'logoff' and 'logon' the network again... Or is the only solution literally to wait 24 hours, or have the mods do some background magic...

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Re: Went to the us for 10 days came back to canada and now I cant receive text messages

@Nezgar wrote:

So can anyone comment or confirm if flipping airplane mode on/off upon return to Canada help resolve thie issue? It seems plausible, as it forces the phone to kind of 'logoff' and 'logon' the network again... Or is the only solution literally to wait 24 hours, or have the mods do some background magic...

That's a known glitch when the 10 Day US Roaming talk/text/data add-on expires. Wait for 24 hours after it expires and all should be well again.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@hairbag1 wrote:

That's a known glitch when the 10 Day US Roaming talk/text/data add-on expires. Wait for 24 hours after it expires and all should be well again.

Yes I know it's a known glitch, I read about it here all the time... But some people suggest rebooting phones and airplane mode, I'm just curious if someone can confirm if that actually accellerated the fix instead of just waiting 24 hours.

No point suggesting reboots or airplane mode if someone can confirm they didn't help...

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

Yes I know it's a known glitch, I read about it here all the time... But some people suggest rebooting phones and airplane mode, I'm just curious if someone can confirm if that actually accellerated the fix instead of just waiting 24 hours.

No point suggesting reboots or airplane mode if someone can confirm they didn't help...

Yea...the only sure way to fix it is to either wait it out or get the Moderators on it...again !

When it happened to me...the only way it got fixed was waiting. I tried all other suggestions without success.

Tiana_V
Retraité / Retired

@srlawren wrote:

@Alan_K @Tiana_V @Dave_M 

Hey folks, I know it's NYE and you're likely on holidays and hopefully doing something nice and fun!  But when you are back in the office on the 2nd or the 6th or the 13th or whenever, could you please, please fix the US Roaming Texting add-on expiry bug?  This bug has now been around for over 3 years, ever since US Roaming was [nicely, thanks again!] introduced in late 2016.  Honestly, there is no excuse for this to have not been fixed in the 36 months that followed, and it needs to be addressed, and addressed now.

"Why is he so worked up about this minor inconvenience?", you may be asking yourself as you read this.  Since you [presumably] asked, here's why I think this bug is brutal and needs to be squished:

1) For up to 24 hours after this add-on expires, people are unable to receive any incoming SMS messages.

2) The messages sent to the PM customer during that period of time are lost forever, not just delayed.  They are gone, into the digital abyss.

3) The intended recipient of the message [again, your paying and loyal customer] has absolutely no idea that they missed any messages, unless the sender later follows up to ask why they never got a response.

4) The sender of the affected messages have no idea the intended recipient never got the message.  They get no errors, undeliverable bounce, or feedback of any kind.  It looks to them as if the message got through just fine as usual.

5) This happens to nearly everyone (if not, in fact, literally everyone) that uses a US Roaming Texting 10-day add-on.  It seems to be indiscriminant.

6) There is no warning to your customers buying the add-on that this is likely to happen.  They have no reasonable way to expect this undesired system behaviour before running into it.

7) There is no (to the best of my knowledge) support material published about this issue, or public acknolwedgement of it, despite it being a "well known" issue to us community regulars.

😎 I am only active a fraction of what I once was in the community, yet I continue to see new mesages like this one pretty much every time I sign in--sometimes multiple.  Your customers are confused, don't know what's wrong and how to fix it.  

This has to end.  Please tell me this will be fixed in 2020.  I do not want to have to post this again to your next NYE.  I should not have to.  Nobody else should have to suffer this bug.

Happy New Year!

@srlawren We fully recognize how inconvenient this bug is. We are currently working on a fix for this issue, rest assured that it will be fixed in 2020. Updates will be provided as they become available. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Hey, that's a 364 days remaining timeframe as January 2nd is almost finished Ed in the ET.  Hope it's sooner, rather than later.

@stonechucker wrote:

Hey, that's a 364 days remaining timeframe as January 2nd is almost finished Ed in the ET.  Hope it's sooner, rather than later.

I don't pretend to understand what's involved in fixing this bug, but Public Mobile has known about this since the beginning - more than 3 years ago. Public Mobile's response so far, has been simply unacceptable. I can't understand why something that is broken continues to be offered. This isn't one of the silly Expired/Suspended bugs that doesn't actually affect the service. This bug causes part of the service to stop working.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@Tiana_V 
So...if it is being worked on I have to assume that someone has put the usual suggestions through a test. IE: tested to see what percentage of time doing things like rebooting the phone or airplane mode on/off has fixed the glitch upon return to Canada. any chance if sharing the best suggestions with us to better help those who show up here looking for help?

AE_Collector

will13am
Oracle

@srlawren wrote:

@Alan_K @Tiana_V @Dave_M 

Hey folks, I know it's NYE and you're likely on holidays and hopefully doing something nice and fun!  But when you are back in the office on the 2nd or the 6th or the 13th or whenever, could you please, please fix the US Roaming Texting add-on expiry bug?  This bug has now been around for over 3 years, ever since US Roaming was [nicely, thanks again!] introduced in late 2016.  Honestly, there is no excuse for this to have not been fixed in the 36 months that followed, and it needs to be addressed, and addressed now.

"Why is he so worked up about this minor inconvenience?", you may be asking yourself as you read this.  Since you [presumably] asked, here's why I think this bug is brutal and needs to be squished:

1) For up to 24 hours after this add-on expires, people are unable to receive any incoming SMS messages.

2) The messages sent to the PM customer during that period of time are lost forever, not just delayed.  They are gone, into the digital abyss.

3) The intended recipient of the message [again, your paying and loyal customer] has absolutely no idea that they missed any messages, unless the sender later follows up to ask why they never got a response.

4) The sender of the affected messages have no idea the intended recipient never got the message.  They get no errors, undeliverable bounce, or feedback of any kind.  It looks to them as if the message got through just fine as usual.

5) This happens to nearly everyone (if not, in fact, literally everyone) that uses a US Roaming Texting 10-day add-on.  It seems to be indiscriminant.

6) There is no warning to your customers buying the add-on that this is likely to happen.  They have no reasonable way to expect this undesired system behaviour before running into it.

7) There is no (to the best of my knowledge) support material published about this issue, or public acknolwedgement of it, despite it being a "well known" issue to us community regulars.

😎 I am only active a fraction of what I once was in the community, yet I continue to see new mesages like this one pretty much every time I sign in--sometimes multiple.  Your customers are confused, don't know what's wrong and how to fix it.  

This has to end.  Please tell me this will be fixed in 2020.  I do not want to have to post this again to your next NYE.  I should not have to.  Nobody else should have to suffer this bug.

Happy New Year!

Let me try to add one more to this list.  The moderator team interaction time is generally so long that there is pretty much no chance that a customer can recover from the bug before things auto correct.  

will13am
Oracle

@stonechucker wrote:

No pressure, piece of cake, just like fixing the delayed password reset email.  Smiley Very Happy

Need Help? Let's chat.