cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail Using Minutes

B12
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm curious why voicemail uses up minutes because the user is not actually talking to anyone instead hearing a message someone left the user. Voicemail should not count towards minutes. This discourages my use of voicemail, rather than checking my voicemail and hearing what someone has to say and wasting my minutes, I could just call the person back and use my minutes more wisely and ask them what they wanted or needed and then that would be done. Minutes used wisely and not wasted.

8 REPLIES 8

I'm lucky I guess. I'm on the $15 dollar plan and no one calls me lol, let alone then leave a voicemail. All the messages are on my wife's $25 plan "home phone".

@B12 

You can also install a calling app such as textnow or fongo to use to call your voicemail while on WiFi ( fongo can/will use mobile data 1 min call =0.5mb.)

@B12 wrote:

I'm curious why voicemail uses up minutes because the user is not actually talking to anyone instead hearing a message someone left the user. Voicemail should not count towards minutes. This discourages my use of voicemail, rather than checking my voicemail and hearing what someone has to say and wasting my minutes, I could just call the person back and use my minutes more wisely and ask them what they wanted or needed and then that would be done. Minutes used wisely and not wasted.

At any carrier, calling your voicemail uses minutes if you use your cell phone to do it by making a regular call. From the carrier's standpoint, calling to check your messages uses many of the same network resources as calling a person.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can also access your voicemail from a landline or any other phone line, by dialing your 10-digit phone number, selecting ‘Send’ or ‘Call’ and then pressing ‘*’ to skip the system greeting.

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@B12 

Hello there, when you access your voicemail, you’re dialing an actual phone number so yes it does use your minutes.

When you dial any number, human or robot, it will count as an outgoing call which is automatically deducted from your minutes' bank. I know it can be frustrating but if you go over your minutes you can buy an add-on with unused minutes rolling over until you finish them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@B12 

Your usage details will show the incoming call that gets forwarded to voicemail. This does not increment the overview page counter. The counter that matters.

You could set up the extended absence greeting that gives you the option of not allowing recordings from callers if you like.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@B12  When someone leaves a VM it doesn't count as minutes. It only uses minutes when you retrieve the message from your device.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@B12....

why ?...that's the way it is here at PM. You can call your vm from a different phone then you won't consume minutes.

Need Help? Let's chat.