cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video messaging not working

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My Moto G7 Play running Android 9 cannot send a 3.9mb video message in Google messages. Is this feature not supported?

I am on WiFi with 300mbps upload and download. Internet is working fine but it just says sending video and sits there indefinitely.

I tried searching the forum and it looks like it should be supported but only up to 600kb according to a post from almost 5 years ago. Is this still true?

14 REPLIES 14

Tav

Funny thing is I got the video sent to me in Google Messages and then I can send it in Google Messages but when saving it from Facebook Messenger and trying to send it in Google Messages it won't send.

Video quality in text messages from iPhone to Android is terrible and unfortunately Facebook Messenger to Google Messages does not function as a workaround. 

Tav

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tav wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm going with file size too. Either carrier limited or a setting in the phone...or both 🙂

Funny thing is the 2 second test video that sent is 6.52mb and the 12 second video that will not send is only 3.93mb so it does not appear to be a file size issue.

The 12 second video was from a facebook messenger chat that someone else filmed that I am trying to send to someone else via Google messenger. 

EDIT: A 12 second video shot from my phone also sends so it must be an issue with the video from the other persons iPhone for some reason. 

Oh. You hadn't mentioned that you had other ones working even without giving details. Maybe the internal format of the video? Dunno.

I tried those after the fact while troubleshooting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tav wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm going with file size too. Either carrier limited or a setting in the phone...or both 🙂

Funny thing is the 2 second test video that sent is 6.52mb and the 12 second video that will not send is only 3.93mb so it does not appear to be a file size issue.

The 12 second video was from a facebook messenger chat that someone else filmed that I am trying to send to someone else via Google messenger. 

EDIT: A 12 second video shot from my phone also sends so it must be an issue with the video from the other persons iPhone for some reason. 

Oh. You hadn't mentioned that you had other ones working even without giving details. Maybe the internal format of the video? Dunno.

Try sending it through WhatsApp if you have it.

@Tav wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Tav

@Anonymous wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tav wrote:

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Go into your message app, touch three dots, settings, mms, and look at your max size setting, @Tav .

There is only settings for receiving not sending.

So if you can figure out a way to set it to max, then figure out where any max is with PM.

If you feel like fiddling with things that is 🙂

Tav

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Go into your message app, touch three dots, settings, mms, and look at your max size setting, @Tav .

There is only settings for receiving not sending.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tav

@gblackma wrote:

Have you tried sending a smaller video message to see if there is a problem  with your phone setting? 

@Tav wrote:

My Moto G7 Play running Android 9 cannot send a 3.9mb video message in Google messages. Is this feature not supported?

I am on WiFi with 300mbps upload and download. Internet is working fine but it just says sending video and sits there indefinitely.

I tried searching the forum and it looks like it should be supported but only up to 600kb according to a post from almost 5 years ago. Is this still true?

Must have something to do with the size or length of the video. I can get a 2 second video to send but a 12 second video is a no go.

Anyone know the limitations on this?

@Tav My phone messaging app is set for 600KB max and can't be changed. Check your settings and see if yours is the same. Here's an option to try if you really need to send that large a file.

https://www.technipages.com/android-increase-mms-file-size-limit

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Have you tried sending a smaller video message to see if there is a problem  with your phone setting? 

@Tav wrote:

Tav

@popping wrote:

@Tav 

You need to enable mobile data before you can send video MMS.

Mobile data is enabled. I switched off wifi and tried as well but no luck.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Tav 

You need to enable mobile data before you can send video MMS.

Need Help? Let's chat.