cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vancouver number in Montreal

B-Rad-D
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We live in the Vancouver area. My daughter is currently with Freedom Mobile but she will be moving to Montreal for university. She would like to keep her current number and I am thinking of porting her number over to Public since Freedom doesn't have coverage there. Will there be any problem with her keeping her 778 number while living in Montreal and using Public Mobile?

6 REPLIES 6

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@srlawren wrote:

@B-Rad-D wrote:

Thanks for the feeback. I think she mostly uses texting with her friends so long distance from montreal friends shouldn't be a problem and she will be living in residence so appartment ringing shouldn't be an issue.

@B-Rad-D suggestion:  pick up a free Fongo.ca or other VoIP provider account with a Montreal-based phone number, and have that forward to her Vancouver-based PM phone number.  Then she will be able to receive calls from people (and businesses, services) in Montreal that don't have nationwide calling.  

Fongo will cancel the free phone number if she does not call out using Fongo number at least once per month.  To avoid cancellation, put $5 in her Fongo account.

srlawren

@B-Rad-D wrote:

Thanks for the feeback. I think she mostly uses texting with her friends so long distance from montreal friends shouldn't be a problem and she will be living in residence so appartment ringing shouldn't be an issue.

@B-Rad-D suggestion:  pick up a free Fongo.ca or other VoIP provider account with a Montreal-based phone number, and have that forward to her Vancouver-based PM phone number.  Then she will be able to receive calls from people (and businesses, services) in Montreal that don't have nationwide calling.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

B-Rad-D
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

popping

@B-Rad-D wrote:

We live in the Vancouver area. My daughter is currently with Freedom Mobile but she will be moving to Montreal for university. She would like to keep her current number and I am thinking of porting her number over to Public since Freedom doesn't have coverage there. Will there be any problem with her keeping her 778 number while living in Montreal and using Public Mobile?

No problem in using Vancouver number in Montreal.  My son is using AB number in BC. Her PM plan should have Canada wide calling to cover for the long distance.  Her friends in Montreal will be paying long distance to call her.  

She continues to pay the BC 12% tax with Vancouver number which is less than Qc 14.975% tax.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@B-Rad-D wrote:

@B-Rad-D  No problem signing up with Public Mobile and porting her number from Freedom is not an issue. Best to make sure that she selects an unlimited Canada wide calling plan to avoid any LD charges when calling back to Vancouver from Montreal.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@B-Rad-DAs long as she has Canada wide calling it should be okay. However do note, then anyone in Montreal who call her *might* incure long distance charges, depending on their plans.. apartment ringing systems will likely not work.. so that's a big YMMV.

Need Help? Let's chat.