cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using data without a plan

jlyg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

I am using the $10 plan and there is no data included in the plan.

If I have to use data, do you know at what rate it will be charged?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What's interesting (and there's another thread about this) is if the data is more important than the calling, the $10 plan plus _half_ the 1GB add-on (so 500MB) is only $25 and gives 4G speed. Though it doesn't stop at 500MB (which the $30 plan does) so one could end up using the whole 1GB and spending $40.

=aw

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jlyg just to add to what @will13am noted: there is no pay-per-use billing available at all.  You get what you pay for, and you pay for what you get [up front], period.  

EDIT: if you're a very occasional mobile data user, using the add-ons like @will13am noted provide okay value even though they are a bit expensive to purchase up-front. They are not tied to your plan or cycle and remain on your account until they are used up, so you don't have to worry about them expiring.  If you are a careful and occasional user, a 1GB add-on could last you quite some time.

On the other hand, if you anticipate needing data fairly regularly, it might be cheaper in the long run to look at a plan that includes data already.  For example for $30 per 30 days, you could get unlimited calling and texting instead of only 50 mins and 50 outbound texts, plus 500MB (of slighlty slower, "3G" speed data that's fine for most use).  Yes it's $20 more per "month" than the $10/50/50 plan, but if you're buying add-ons more often or running into limits on the calls or texts, it may provide better value.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jlyg, Public Mobile is a prepaid service.  You will get no data usage unless you buy it first.  The data add-on pricing is $30 for 1 gig, $10 for 200 MB.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

Need Help? Let's chat.