cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using data add-on with "no data" plan

davepizzapublic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I buy a plan with the "no data" option but purchase a data add-on, will I be able to use the data add-on?

12 REPLIES 12

Just to clarify, as I don't see it mentioned specifically, there is a 'ready made' plan for the $10 50/50 talk/SMS option, which is different from the 10-day plan selection, in the plan builder, which is simply the starting value of a 30-day plan, when you further add at least 1 of 3 options (talk, SMS, Data).  The plan builder option of 30-day without a talk or SMS or data selection is not valid, and add-ons for long distance talk options must have a minimum of province-wide talk selected.  A no-data selection is the only selection where data can be added as an add-on, without the base selected in the plan.

@davepizzapublic wrote:

Correct, it's not what I asked, but I found the quote in the first answer "Many users choose to go your route and use a base plan as low as $10 per 30 days then purchase add on minutes / data a couple times a year" to be surprising as that seemed to imply I could get talk with a $10 plan. I am new to the service, so I wasn't sure.

The $10 plan comes with limited talk and text.  This makes the plan eligible to purchase add-on minutes.  Add-on data purchase is also possible as already confirmed.  The only thing not available is add-on SMS.

@davepizzapublic wrote:

Correct, it's not what I asked, but I found the quote in the first answer "Many users choose to go your route and use a base plan as low as $10 per 30 days then purchase add on minutes / data a couple times a year" to be surprising as that seemed to imply I could get talk with a $10 plan. I am new to the service, so I wasn't sure.

@davepizzapublicI edited my reply for clarification

Many users choose to go your route and use a limited talk/text base plan (50 minutes + 50 texts) at $10 per 30 days then purchase add on minutes / data a couple times a year as they need them. Saves a great deal of money for those that use less data and do not text often.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@davepizzapublic wrote:

There are talk plans and there are data-only plans. You can't do any talking with a data-only plan.

The $10 plan is the only limited-minute talk plan. You can get data and long distance add-ons with it.

You buy the add-ons once and consume them over time until done.

The only drawback with the $10 50 minutes/50 outgoing+unlimited incoming text messages plan is that you cannot add more outgoing text messages because there is no text message add-on whcih you can purchase.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@davepizzapublic wrote:

There are talk plans and there are data-only plans. You can't do any talking with a data-only plan.

The $10 plan is the only limited-minute talk plan. You can get data and long distance add-ons with all plans except not long distance with a data-only plan.

You buy the add-ons once and consume them over time until done.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@davepizzapublic wrote:

If I buy a plan with the "no data" option but purchase a data add-on, will I be able to use the data add-on?

Yes, you can.  The data add-on is expensive.  $30 for 1GB data.  I understand that the unused data can be roll over to next month.

How much data are you using in a month?

davepizzapublic

Anonymous
Not applicable

@davepizzapublic wrote:

Oh really, talk with the $10 base plan too? So to confirm I am understanding, I can still make calls with the "no talk" option if I simply buy long distance minutes?

No! That's not what you first asked.

Jeez. I gotta stop.

You need talk to get long distance add-ons.

Technically you need to have talk for any roaming add-ons but that is apparently not true in actuality.

davepizzapublic

Oh really, talk with the $10 base plan too? So to confirm I am understanding, I can still make calls with the "no talk" option if I simply buy long distance minutes?

@Anonymous wrote:

@davepizzapublic wrote:

As above and it'll be in full LTE.

@davepizzapublicDo not try to use a speed test. If you buy the 200mb data-add on you can use your entire data in 1 speed test.

Also try to hook up to wifi before buying the add-on if you have not used data in a while, what might happen is your phone if it has been away from data for a while use up all of your data in a matter of minutes to do updates. If you have no wifi- go to mcdonalds or home depot or tim hortons pretty much any store and hook up to their wifi even outside when they are closed 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

@davepizzapublic wrote:

As above and it'll be in full LTE.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@davepizzapublic wrote:

@davepizzapublicYes as long as the accout is active and in good standing.

Many users choose to go your route and use a limited talk/text base plan (50 minutes + 50 texts) at $10 per 30 days then purchase add on minutes / data a couple times a year as they need them. Saves a great deal of money for those that use less data and do not text often.

Need Help? Let's chat.