cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using US roaming data in Canada

Ecky
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can a US roaming data add-on be used in Canada?  If I am going to use the data within 10 days, it is cheaper to buy a gig of US roaming data ($20) as opposed to a gig of "Canadian" data ($30).  I realize that the Canadian data carries over but if I use it all within 10 days the US roaming data is obviously the better deal.

17 REPLIES 17

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ecky wrote:

It is also good to deny oneself now and then and show some restraint.  :^)

@Ecky overrated!  Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ecky

@srlawren wrote:

@Ecky wrote:

As I have stated earlier though, at the end of the day, this is just me spoiling myself and I really don't need to buy any extra data.  Thanks for your contribution though. It is appreciated.  :^)

@Ecky no worries.  🙂  And hey, it's okay to spoil yourself every now and then!

True enough.  It is also good to deny oneself now and then and show some restraint.  :^)

srlawren

@Ecky wrote:

As I have stated earlier though, at the end of the day, this is just me spoiling myself and I really don't need to buy any extra data.  Thanks for your contribution though. It is appreciated.  :^)

@Ecky no worries.  🙂  And hey, it's okay to spoil yourself every now and then!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ecky

@srlawren wrote:

@Ecky wrote:

Agreed that the pricing is not bad but compared to the US I thought it a bit steep.  :^)

@Ecky fair enough.  They really are different things though.  The US Roaming 1 GB add-on is time limited to 10 days, whether you use 1 KB of data or the whole 1 GB, whereas you can gradually chip away at the domestic 1GB add-on indefinitely and the leftovers never go away.  Thus, PM price it accordingly as it provides more value.  

If you don't anticipate needing much data you could look at picking up a pair of 200 MB data add-ons at $10 each for the same $20 you wanted to limit your spend to.  They also would not expire, but you'd be paying the equivalent of $50 / GB rather than $30 / GB when you buy the 1 GB.  So, spend less, but also get significantly less.  But it's another option.

Thanks srlawren.  Yes I fully agree that they are different and I realize that the big diff is that one expires (US roaming) and the other does not.  In my case, I would use the data within that 10 day window and so didn't need to pay the $10 "premium" to have my data carry over.  That would be of no use to me.  However for some it would make sense and I recognize that.  I appreciate your thought of buying a smaller bundle of data which of course is valid but has a higher unit cost.  As I have stated earlier though, at the end of the day, this is just me spoiling myself and I really don't need to buy any extra data.  Thanks for your contribution though. It is appreciated.  :^)

srlawren

@Ecky wrote:

Agreed that the pricing is not bad but compared to the US I thought it a bit steep.  :^)

@Ecky fair enough.  They really are different things though.  The US Roaming 1 GB add-on is time limited to 10 days, whether you use 1 KB of data or the whole 1 GB, whereas you can gradually chip away at the domestic 1GB add-on indefinitely and the leftovers never go away.  Thus, PM price it accordingly as it provides more value.  

If you don't anticipate needing much data you could look at picking up a pair of 200 MB data add-ons at $10 each for the same $20 you wanted to limit your spend to.  They also would not expire, but you'd be paying the equivalent of $50 / GB rather than $30 / GB when you buy the 1 GB.  So, spend less, but also get significantly less.  But it's another option.

Ecky
@bravo_md wrote:

ECKY  I hear what you are saying and you're right.

Words I have never heard from my wife.  ;^)

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

ECKY  I hear what you are saying and you're right.

Ecky

@stonechucker wrote:

@bravo_md wrote:

ECKY   your money would be better spend upgrading to plan that has more data EVERY month.

I’m not so sure about that.  The 1GB data add on will not expire at the end of a cycle.  If used sarringly, it could last more many months, even years.  At today’s rates, the big 3 and middle 3 carriers are or were charging the équilibrent of $80+ in $8/100 MB portions.

Hi stonechucker!

If I used my data sparingly I would not "need" to buy extra data.  This is all a matter of "treating" myself while up north so I can do some researching on various topics.  No biggie.  Nothing is that critical up at the cabin!  :^)

Ecky

@bravo_md wrote:

ECKY   your money would be better spend upgrading to plan that has more data EVERY month.

Hi bravo_md

Actually this is a rare situation that would only happen in the summer when I am up at our cabin.  The rest of the year I use maybe a gig of the 12 (3 month plan) that I have.  Definitely not worth upgrading but thanks so much for the suggestion.  There is no doubt in my mind that PM is a great deal for me (and most others).  I am very pleased.

At the end of the day I just lay off my data use for the one block or I buy a gig or two to carry me over till my next block.  The need for data is hardly critical.  :^)

@bravo_md wrote:

I’m not so sure about that.  The 1GB data add on will not expire at the end of a cycle.  If used sarringly, it could last more many months, even years.  At today’s rates, the big 3 and middle 3 carriers are or were charging the équilibrent of $80+ in $8/100 MB portions.

bravo_md

Ecky

@stonechucker wrote:

Technically, you’d need to be connected to a tower in the US.  It could be possible in a border town, but you’d have to enable data roaming, and be connected to the AT&T or T-Mobile.

Too complicated for me to do on a regular basis.

Thanks stonechucker!  Interesting.  Certainly not an option for me.  It is a little disappointing that the "Canadian" data is 50% more expensive - even allowing for the fact that it can be carried forward.  However it is not something that I would need to purchase often so I guess I will either forego the data till my next block or suck it up.  :^)

Thanks for your time!

Technically, you’d need to be connected to a tower in the US.  It could be possible in a border town, but you’d have to enable data roaming, and be connected to the AT&T or T-Mobile.

Too complicated for me to do on a regular basis.

Ecky

Thanks ShawnC13!  That was quick!

Cheers.

Ecky

Thanks bravo_md!  That was quick!

Cheers.

@bravo_md wrote:

Us roaming data can't be used in Canada

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Ecky wrote:

Can a US roaming data add-on be used in Canada?  If I am going to use the data within 10 days, it is cheaper to buy a gig of US roaming data ($20) as opposed to a gig of "Canadian" data ($30).  I realize that the Canadian data carries over but if I use it all within 10 days the US roaming data is obviously the better deal.

No, the US data roaming is only active when in the US

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

bravo_md

Us roaming data can't be used in Canada

Need Help? Let's chat.