cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Cellphone plans with MiFi device

c4d3nza
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would like to use Public Mobile with a mifi/mobile hotspot device so I can access the network from my laptop. However, the single "data only" plan that Public offers is 1GB, which isn't enough for my needs. If I were to purchase one of the cell phone plans (for example the $40 plan with 4GB of data) would this SIM still work in a Mifi device? 

13 REPLIES 13

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you have not gotten a hot spot yet, you should consider this hub, the ZTE MF275R https://www.comparecellular.ca/mobile-internet/zte-mf275r-rocket-hub/  It is bigger than a hotspot, but you can connect a telephone to it.  the antenna is second to none also, and the battery lasts about 3 hours.   Perfect for a Public Mobile plan

@c4d3nzaYes the YMMV part is confusing.. but seems quite a few people and resllers don't care about the "existing user" restriction. If you intend to get paid for what you are about to do.. I would not recommend Public.

According to WhistleOut it is $15 for 4GB and $10 / GB after that.. Also it works out about the same.. and with better customer support.

c4d3nza

Dog brand also only gives out their LTE hotspot plans to existing customers, which is confusing. 

c4d3nza

Dog brand only goes up to 2GB as far as I can tell. We need about 5 or 6. 

@c4d3nza wrote:

I read an article on the wirecutter that tethering to a phone causes more frequent signal drops than using a dedicated device. As we want to run a live stream off of this signal, keeping it consistent is crucial.

@c4d3nza  Best to test it out for yourself and see if the performnce is acceptable. YOu got nothing to lose. Smiley Happy

@c4d3nzaI think "dog brand" LTE data only plan is probably better for your purpose. I find the novatel LCD interface annoying.. especially on high moisture environment eg boats. Yes mifi devices just have room for more antennas especially on the wifi side, not to mention dedicated to routing makes data faster.

c4d3nza

I read an article on the wirecutter that tethering to a phone causes more frequent signal drops than using a dedicated device. As we want to run a live stream off of this signal, keeping it consistent is crucial.

@c4d3nza wrote:

> What kind of mifi device do you have? Using your phone as a hotspot will achive the same result. Why do you want to use a mifi device?

I'm looking at getting a Novatel 6630. I'm using it to run a livestream in a location where there's no dedicated internet, and I'm concerned that using a phone as a hotspot wouldn't work as well or be as consistent. 

@c4d3nzaIt will work just a good as the mifi device. Just keep your phone plugged in for power and you should be good. What type of phone to you have?

c4d3nza

> What kind of mifi device do you have? Using your phone as a hotspot will achive the same result. Why do you want to use a mifi device?

I'm looking at getting a Novatel 6630. I'm using it to run a livestream in a location where there's no dedicated internet, and I'm concerned that using a phone as a hotspot wouldn't work as well or be as consistent. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@c4d3nza wrote:

I would like to use Public Mobile with a mifi/mobile hotspot device so I can access the network from my laptop.

@c4d3nza  What kind of mifi device do you have? Using your phone as a hotspot will achive the same result. Why do you want to use a mifi device?

However, the single "data only" plan that Public offers is 1GB, which isn't enough for my needs. If I were to purchase one of the cell phone plans (for example the $40 plan with 4GB of data) would this SIM still work in a Mifi device? 

Does your device support SIM card with calling plans? Please also note that the PM $40 plan data/calling plan is LTE+ not true LTE meaning that it is throttled to 3G speeds.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@c4d3nza  - I don't see why not.  If you can use a PM SIM with one of the plans, it whould work with any plan.  That said, there might be more economical plans out there for data only.

Need Help? Let's chat.