cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used 3gb in first month of 3gb/90 days - want to change plans

Ryan88
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just switched to public mobile so not sure how this works.

I am almost through 3gb of data in the first 30 days of a 90 day plan. By the description of the plan, I thought that it meant that the 3gb is renewed every month but it doesnt seem that way. Correct me if wrong. Why anyone would knowingly get this plan is beyond me, as the 9gb plan is only $30 more!

I went to add data but 1gb for $30 is redicoulously expensive and I refuse to pay that!

How can I cancel this plan and change it to the 9gb for 90 days?

Is it imposible to speak to customer service with public mobile?

15 REPLIES 15

Druide
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@srlawren

Trust me, I have done sales for a long time, so I get it.  Like I said, my opinion is that the plans are misleading.    For my particular example a $55 plan on 30 day and thought it would be $45 on 90 days for x3 the data, felt reasonable.  Since you are committing to a longer term and normally when you commit to longer term, you aren't looking to switch the next day. If it would be from $55 to $25 then it would a non-sense. 

Also my personal thought were I already get $55 at Koodo for 4GB, why would it be the same price for less at PM if they don't offer service.  That's my fault in thinking that way.

Normally the principle is simple: service, you pay more, no service, you pay less, just like self serve vs with service gas stations.  

Anyhow, that said, life will move go on, I'll sleep well tonight, but I need someone to take a look at upgrading my plans to a 9GB and I will pay that $55 a month versus $45, but can't wait a week to get a resolution.  The dollars part I will eat it, but no data for 2 more months is frustrating.

That's what happens when dollars are squeezed to every penny and you try to find workaround to pay cheaper.  I thought this was a good deal, but it is not.

Lesson learned.

Thank you for the prompt replies, I seem to notice some users are very active, so that's pretty neat.  Just wished the Moderators would be as active.

Happy holidays

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Just here to comment on the Costco analogy. 

PM 90-day plans are the Costco of mobile world.  Smiley LOL

srlawren

@Druide wrote:

@Anonymous

In a way, that's it, but the plans are misleading. 

@Druide I disagree.  They used to be before the put the / 90 days on each data option, as you can see today:

Per90Days.png

Nowhere does it say that your data resets every 30 days.  In fact, in the Plans & Add-ons article, it explicitly says:

"Thinking long term? Our 90-day plans are great for users who know what they need and don’t want to renew plans too often. You will be able to dip into the data bucket as you need during the 90 day period, giving you a lot of flexibility when it comes to managing your data. Your service allowance does not roll over at the end of each 90 day period, it resets when your plan renews."

Nowhere have they said it's a monthly allotment.  You made an assumption and didn't validate that assumption.  Plans at Public Mobile are different, and you didn't take the time to ensure you fully understood what you were purchasing.  Like I said, you're not the first to do so, although the frequency reduced dramatically after they made it clearer in the plan builder. 

The other thing to consider is the reasonablenes factor.  If you were comparing the 30 day plans to the 90 day plans and noticed that when you tripple the term, the $ amount approximately triples, and the data amounts all triple... if you assume that's per 30 days then you'd effectively be getting 9 times as much data over the 90 days for 3 times the price.  That seems far fetched, even with the assumption that the longer the term the better the value.  

Put another way:  if you're used to buying 12-roll package of TP at Walmart for $10, you wouldn't reasonably expect $30 to buy you 108 rolls, even if you went to a warehouse store like Costco.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Druide

@Anonymous

In a way, that's it, but the plans are misleading.  They have actually just changed the plans to 4GB for 30 days now versys 3GB, therefore it makes it easier to understand the option is no longer replicated into a 90 days plan.

To be fully transparent, I switched due to the monthly price.  Using Koodo before, it's not like a change of network or phone.  Since Public Mobile has no phone service and it is self-serve, I could not expect it would be equal or more expensive than Koodo.

My bad probably, but as I mentioned, I am willing to upgrade right now to the right plan due to my *mistake* but not forfeit or pay double.  Since I get no response, I am not sure how long this will last, before I can get an answer.  

srlawren

@Druide a chargeback, after you've made use of all of your data and a third of your term?  I'm not sure that you would be entitled to one. That would be like buying a movie-and-popcorn pass, eating all the popcorn, and leaving the movie after the first act and asking for your money back.  

The bottom line is you misunderstood how the plan works and now you're upset.  Fair enough, it isn't what you thought it was.  Feel free to port your number elsewhere if there's plans out there that meet your needs better.

re: the 10 gig promos, you never heard about it?  It was a huge feeding frenzy back in early Dec 2017.  https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/12/18/canadian-carriers-say-response-to-6010gb-promos-has-been-overwhel...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

(you did select a plan but didn't understand the terms)

@Druide

*You* didn't understand the terms and knew what *you* were getting into for support and now *you're* ready to leave in a huff.

Hmm.

If you're looking to change carriers without getting this resolved using any of the suggested options (you did select a plan but didn't understand the terms), you should be looking at finding a new provider, and just taking your number with you.

A chargeback is not the solution on this.

Druide

@srlawren

Wow, $60.00 for 10 GB, that's very good.  The best plan I had was while in Quebec, $47.00 6GB, unlimited North America with Videotron.  That's why when I saw the $45.00 for 3GB per month for 90 days, I said, not bad, best network, let's go for it. 
Now I'm paying for it already, soon 2 days without a response. 
I've called my credit card company, last option will be to request chargeback to cancel my term and move to another carrier.
Happy holidays!

srlawren

@Druide I misread the plan builder myself and thought the $165 plan was 3G speed.  My apologies.

That said, once you select a 90 day term, every single data option is updated to show " / 90 days" at the end of the amount.  You're not the first person to misunderstand, and unfortuantely you won't be the last.  I guess the old addage of "if it seems to good to be true, it probably is" applies here, since 9GB of full speed LTE per 30 days (or calendar month) for $55 would be pretty rare.  It's too bad you didn't hop on the $60 10GB plans being offered in the mini price-war last December.  😞

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Druide

Other than buying expensive add ons..I think the only option would be to do an immediate plan change...but you would not be credited for the unused portion of the old plan..moderator assistance would be required for that option

Druide

@srlawren

Thank you for the reply.  Actually I should have mentioned, it is for LTE speed.  I actually need it to stream Webex/Video conference content while on the road.  3G works, but is not as great and adds some lagging.
Everything mentioned in my post was in regards to LTE.  I have not even considered 3G to be honest, as mentioned, Koodo offers 4GB LTE for $55 what I had before.  I thought I was switching for price reduction, same network (Telus which with my personal experience is the best network), but it's actually not the case, same cost of even more expensive.

Plan: Canada wide, International text, 90 days and thought it was 9GB, but it's 3GB.
I just hope I can get someone to fix my plan so we can have data back ASAP.

srlawren

@Druide It sounds like you're currently on the 90 day, Canada-wide talk, international text, and 9GB of "3G" speed data plan for $165 which is equivalent to $55 per 30 days for approx 9/3 = 3GB.

Have you looked at the preconfigured 30 day plans at all?  Some of them offer wayyyy more value.  For example, you could get:

1. For $40 every 30 days, get unlimtied Canada-wide talk, international texting, and 4.5GB of 3G speed data.  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/40for4500MB-3Gspeed.  This plan is $15 cheaper per 30 days than what you're paying and gives you 50% more data.
  2. For $45 every 30 days, get the same thing but with 6GB of 3G speed data https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/45for6GB-3Gspeed.  This plan is $10 cheaper than what you're paying now and gives you double the data.
  3. For $50 every 30 days, get the same thing but upgraded to include calls to the USA (from Canada) and 8 GB of 3G speed data https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/50for8GB-3Gspeed.  This plan is $5 chepaer than what you're paying right now and gives you 2 and 2/3s times the data.

Druide

Hi Ryan,
How have you proceed to obtain resolution?  I should have read all the threads or at least yours beforehand.  I have done the exact same thing as you.  Maybe I'm very dumb, but I figured this plan would be great, no customer service, self-serve should mean lower costs,  as other carriers offer 3GB or 4GB per month for the same price as Public Mobile at $55 per month. 
I thought by selecting 90 days and 3GB it would be 90 days of the 30 days plan = 9 GB, but no it's 3GB for 90 days.  The regular 30 days of 3GB (actually just removed and switch to 4GB probably because we aren't the only ones) is $57 and 90 days for 9GB is $55, no savings, less data and prepayment.  Logically going 90 days for 9GB and paying $45 as I have selected would make sense, you engage yourself for longer terms and you save $10 per month still without customer service and using self-serve.
Adding additional data is out of price, really makes no sense.  I have a referral and prepayment reward, but don't want to use it as it will make me agree to keep paying this plan for 90days and lock me again in a near future since it will add minimal data for a high premium.

Sent a private message to moderators, been over a day, no reply.  I'm now worried, one of our lines has no data.  I am willing to upgrade to the other 9GB 90 days plan, for now and we'll decide later if we stay with Public Mobile as there is no cost advantage what so ever. 

More than 24 hours response time in 2018 with everything going at the speed of light does not seem reasonable to me.  

Anyhow, if you can let me know your outcome, I'd appreciate it.
Not a satisfied customer so far.  When it looks too good to be true....

I'll update my post if I hear back from anyone.

The reason for choosing the less expensive plan would be that the customers knows that he or she will only use a certain amount of data.  By choosing the less expensive plan, money ends up being saved.

You could change your plan and make it effective immediately.  However, if you do that, you need to know that anything you paid for the first plan that you signed up for 3GB/90 days will be lost.  The billing system will charge you for the entire price of any new plan that you switch to.

Other alternatives would be to have a plan change take effect at the start of the next billing cycle.  There is an option for that when you using the online system to change plans.  The downside of doing it like this will be that you will not get any more data to use during this billing cycle.  The plus side would be that you would get to continue using your current plan  (if it includes talk or text) without paying anying extra (although data will stop working when you use it up).

There are some data add-ons available that can be added on top of the plan that you have now, although I admit that I don't find the prices on them to be very appealing.

As for contacting customer service,  you'll need to send a message to the username Moderator_Team .

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Ryan88wrote:

I just switched to public mobile so not sure how this works.

I am almost through 3gb of data in the first 30 days of a 90 day plan. By the description of the plan, I thought that it meant that the 3gb is renewed every month but it doesnt seem that way. Correct me if wrong. Why anyone would knowingly get this plan is beyond me, as the 9gb plan is only $30 more!

I went to add data but 1gb for $30 is redicoulously expensive and I refuse to pay that!

How can I cancel this plan and change it to the 9gb for 90 days?

Is it imposible to speak to customer service with public mobile?

Yes that is the plan 3GB over 90 day.  If you want to switch to the 9GB plan you can do that in plan change and you can either future date it or have it change immediately.  If you have it change immediately you will need to pay for the new plan and will forfeit any unused days from your old plan without getting a refund.

No all service is through this forum.  Only Legacy plan holders have access to call centre.  The best way to communicate with customer service is through private messages.  

To send a private message to a moderator click this link.
In your message please include:
  • PM Phone Number
  • 4 digit PIN (if you don't remember this then they will need at least 3 of the following to verify your identity)
    • account number 
    • date of birth
    • complete address listed on account with postal code
    • email address on account
    • most commonly called numbers
    • alternate number listed on the account
    • last payment date and amount
    • last 4 digits of the credit card
  • Detailed explanation
Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am(Eastern) to 9pm(Eastern) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(Eastern) to 7:30pm(Eastern)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.