cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage in Mexico

EllieB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm planning to travel to Mexico and currently have the $25 plan. Has anyone used their PM account in Mexico? And if so, what plan did you have. I can't seem to locate an add on that will allow me to text for make calls from Mexico back to Canada. Thanks for your help. 

12 REPLIES 12

David2024
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Mexican SIM, $5.00, 4 gig data, unlimited texting and messaging and calling FREE Canada, US, mexico, about $10.00 CDN!! Why would anyone do anything else??

denismcd
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We go to Mexico every year for at least a couple of months. Just go to a Telcel store (they are everywhere) and get a sim card--about $10. It will last you for your trip. If you run out of minutes just go to an OXXO convenience store or 7-11 and for about 100 pesos (about $5), they will add more minutes to your phone sim.  It's easy. I write my Mexico number on the back of the phone with a piece of tape to show the clerk in the store.  Make sure to have your phone locked with a password or fingerprint. You can only get the Mexican sim with an unlocked phone which I think you Canadian provider has to do now at no charge.  Have fun!  Mexico is great!

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cavemantoronto wrote:It's not supposed to work. Nothing is supposed to work in Mexico.

Apples to oranges, but whatever.

@krzcnck wrote:

i have travelled to Mexico and was able to receive calls from Canada but couldn't text out or call out. i would receive imessages from my husband and others that had iphones when we are on wifi.  Heading down there in a week for 5 months, so i went with an AT&T sim, it covers Canada, Mexico and US, i pay $40 USD a month unlimited calling and texting plus 8gb of data +bonus 17 gb, it is prepaid like PM, and since i have a iphone with dual sim, i have a $15 PM plan as well.  

It's not supposed to work. Nothing is supposed to work in Mexico.

krzcnck
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

i have travelled to Mexico and was able to receive calls from Canada but couldn't text out or call out. i would receive imessages from my husband and others that had iphones when we are on wifi. 

@EllieB wrote:

Much appreciated. I'll check this out. I've never switched SIM cards before when travelling. Thanks. 

If you're going to Mexico for several weeks, I'd suggest you get a Mex sim card and a cheap plan there.

If you're going fo a few weeks, consider getting a free voip app like TextNow...it'll let you text / call Canada and US for free as long as you have a robust wifi signal. Most resorts and hotels have wifi now so this approach is a good option. I've used it for the last few years when travelling and seems to work good. Did I meantion it's free !!

EllieB

Thank you. That's such a good point that I'll save money with a cheap SIM card. Thanks!

EllieB

Much appreciated. I'll check this out. I've never switched SIM cards before when travelling. Thanks. 

EllieB

Thanks very much. I'm new to PM and this is so helpful. 

@EllieB  The only country that public mobile offers roaming service is the US. Cheap SIM cards and plans are available in the country you are travelling to will beat any roaming plan any Canadian mobile provider can offer. Just do search on the internet for foreign SIM cards and plans and you will have a plethora to chose from. Enjoy your holiday in Mexico. I'm sure the savings since switching to Public Mobile had helped fund your trip!

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

There is no on for Mexico. When people travel to other countries they are usually advised to look up a prepaid SIM in the target country.

Need Help? Let's chat.