cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading plan (grand father plans)

ccicch
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

I currently have a a 4gig data plan with Unlimited province wide 4G LTE, I recall the old plans also had a 6gig and a 9gig option for about an additional 10-15$ per increment respectively.

I can no longer see these options, I'm assuming because I am on a grandfather plan, can this upgrade be done by an administrator? and if so what are the cost for the 6gig vs 9gig or what are the data options? I want to maintain the 4G LTE service I receive.

Thank you very much.

11 REPLIES 11

yes throttled LTE is not good. but, there is a crafty member that figured something out and I'm going for it! 🙂🤫 52/4gb 😉

@makkahn28 

Ouch....that's a lot to pay for approximately 2gb of full speed data per month. If you look at those of us with the $10 plan using add ons to simulate your plan :

• Base plan:=$10
  • 1×$5/500 min Canada wide calling=$5
  • 1×$15/1000 min US calling=$15
  • 2×$15/1gb data add on=$30 ( full speed 4G LTE)
  • texts are limited to 50 SMS (because there is no available texting add on)*
  • Total=$60 (but unused add on minutes/data roll over)

*MMS texting included if you know what I mean....

I have the $10 plan and the $15 plan and for my data needs I just don't see a noticeable difference in data speed between throttled and full speed 4G LTE but then again maybe @BearFBI or @gpixel could give me a reasonable test to prove their points in this matter ( that doesn't waste my add on data) and I will give it a whirl!

But given the current plans on the market with throttled 4G LTE your savings and/or increased plan data alottment and flexibility to change plans based on need are significant.

• $35/3gb (5gb w/2GBBONUS promocode)*
  • $40/5gb (7gb w/bonus)*
  • $50/10.5gb (12.5gb w/bonus)* includes US calling

*All amounts include the 500mb autopay bonus. Promocode plan data bonus is lost if you change your rate plan.

You could always wait for a flash sale promotion (preferably before June 30th to stack the promocode bonus data) and activate with a free 2nd/3rd month promotion and activate with a CCS bundle for a free sim card and 50% off the first month discount of the $50/10.5gb plan (or 12.5gb w/bonus). You would be able to get 3 months of service with 12.5gb of monthly data for approximately $61+tax that you could hotspot if needed and you would earn $3 in friend referral rewards for referring yourself. 

By using the new account as a hotspot both you and your mother (if you live together or close by each other) could test the data speed and supplement your 90 day plans w/an extra 6.25 gb of data each per month ( by trading off the new account as a wifi hotspot if you have a back up phone or dual sim phones every 15 days) for a monthly cost of $10.16+tax each.

@hTideGnow wrote:

@makkahn28  you are lucky, 6GB is still decent limit for regular use.  How much you are paying?

Unless I'm way off (sorry no time to go digging for "proof"), that 6GB has to last for 90 days, though. 

Roughly 2GB / 30days when evenly spread. So considered a low usage plan by today's standard. The main value on that plan would be the UL US part - if you use that feature regularly.

$150 every 90 Days

@makkahn28  you are lucky, 6GB is still decent limit for regular use.  How much you are paying?

I'm lucky I still kept the 90 Day Unlim Can-Wide, US-L-D, Unlim Global Txt and 6GB Data LTE, my Mother also has this as well.

I would never switch plans if it worked or is as close to cost-effective, as when these plans disappear, it's quite a headache.

Just stating my thoughts on this

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@ccicch  how much are you paying now?  if you are willing to pay another $10 or $15 for more data , if the final total is $40 and above, you might want to check out those prepaid or postpaid plans offered by Koodo and Telus.  They might suit you needs better.

wellis
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As @Triguy mentioned, the $50 plan is about as big as it gets at PM. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

No, those plans are no longer available.  You can only choose from the plans PM offering now

If you have a 4G LTE plans, you might really want to see if want want to change to current plans.  The current plans might have more data but they  are all throttled to 3Mbps.     

Remember, once you changed to the new plan, you can never go back to your grandfather plan.  So, if speed is a concern, you might want to stay with your current one.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@ccicch wrote:

Hi there,

I currently have a a 4gig data plan with Unlimited province wide 4G LTE, I recall the old plans also had a 6gig and a 9gig option for about an additional 10-15$ per increment respectively.

I can no longer see these options, I'm assuming because I am on a grandfather plan, can this upgrade be done by an administrator? and if so what are the cost for the 6gig vs 9gig or what are the data options? I want to maintain the 4G LTE service I receive.

Thank you very much.

@ccicch 

Sorry, You would not be able to get this done through a back door process or anything.

The only Plans available to change to are the ones that are currently available online to use: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

If you were to change to one of the in-market plans, then you would not be able to go back to your plan you are currently on. 

So be sure to decide what your best interests are.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunately, the other plans you mentioned are no longer available.  You could change to $50 plan with 10 GB of data but it is at 3G.

Need Help? Let's chat.