cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update paln

mavic24
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am looking for ways to update my plane, and add additional data to my plan. I currently have 5G of 4G  LTE Data  ad pay $62/month  It seems that the only way to get more data would be to go to a LOWER 3G connection. That doesnt sound like a great idea.. and i have a hard time believing there is no way to add additional 5G data to an account... Please help, as i know other carriers are offering alot more data then 5G, why arent you?

8 REPLIES 8

@mavic24  if you have  a dual sim phone. You could look elsewhere for a 5gig data only plan and add  the SIM to your phone. Or you could get a SIM and try the $50 plan  to a month at the 4g LTE speed capped at 3mbts to see if there is a discernable difference. Currently Telus is offering a 20 gig unlimited data plan for $75. Stay safe. 

https://www.telus.com/en/deals-and-bundles?&cmp=KNC_MOB_Google_&SEM_CID=2052757883&SEM_AG=7507208919... %2Bplans&SEM_MT=b&gclid=Cj0KCQjwncT1BRDhARIsAOQF9LkVMvo2IjVScaeUUgvCwk_7AQebr3Qb-4fMIJeNTtQMgfpfEocXJqAaAtQaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

@mavic24 I know you might be deterred by the  3g speed, but most phones stream video content lower than HD quality. especially if you want to save data. honestly if I were you and was already paying $62 a month and money isn't too much of an issue. I would just goto Telus because they are offering $20gb full LTE speeds for $75 right now. if you use that up you still have data at 512kb reduced speeds. 

I'm on the 5gb 3g plan and the only time I notice the video stream buffering is when I'm at home or inside a building. LTE is actually more speed than the average user needs. all it does is load the content so much faster that even if you didn't like the video and closed it, it's already downloaded the whole video... causing more data usage. you can also switch to HSPA which is not throttled and has faster download speeds than throttled LTE.

when it comes to web browsing, you won't notice a difference since the throttle doesn't kick in right away. my suggestion is to go with the 8.5gb plan for $50. you might find you won't use as much data and if you're not satisfied, then switch over to Telus.

@mavic24 wrote:

yes that is what i found, i have a current plan that offers 5gb @5g LTE speed, maybe an old plan that they no longer offer, but is there no way to add 5G speed data on to my account?. I already saw the 8g BUT AT 3g SPEED 😞

Correct. If you must have LTE speed, you must stick with that plan. Early renewal is always available with moderator assistance, and is still a smidgeon cheaper than the 1 GB data add-on.

You might find this useful info: 

3G vs LTE https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Share-Your-3G-Real-World-Experience/m-p...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@mavic24 wrote:

yes that is what i found, i have a current plan that offers 5gb @5g LTE speed, maybe an old plan that they no longer offer, but is there no way to add 5G speed data on to my account?. I already saw the 8g BUT AT 3g SPEED 😞

@mavic24  Your only option is to add the 5 (or more 🙂)  x 1 GB data add-ons for $15.00 each,  in your case the data will be full LTE speed because of your grandfathered plan and the unused data won’t expire until you’ve used it all up.

mavic24
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

If you're on an old grandfathered plan and have 4g then it will be up to you to decide if you want to keep it or not.

All new plans are still LTE but throttled to 3g speeds. Depending what you do on the internet you may not even notice a difference.

Highest plan is 8 gigs for $50. 3g speeds.

8.5 gigs if you add autopay and you would also get a $2 discount per 30 days for autopay brining total to $48 plus your province taxes..before any rewards you have to lower the bill.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mavic24 wrote:

I am looking for ways to update my plane, and add additional data to my plan. I currently have 5G of 4G  LTE Data  ad pay $62/month  It seems that the only way to get more data would be to go to a LOWER 3G connection. That doesnt sound like a great idea.. and i have a hard time believing there is no way to add additional 5G data to an account... Please help, as i know other carriers are offering alot more data then 5G, why arent you?

@mavic24  Please note that the data connection is still using the LTE network. The speed gets throttled down to 3 Mbps which is acceptable for most tasks unless you livestream or watch 4K videos from your device.

Public's new plans only offer the throttled LTE version so if your are looking for pure LTE then you need to look at Koodo or Telus offerings.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@mavic24 

Public mobile generally offers only 3G speed plans.  The largest data package presently is $50 for 8 GB data/month.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/50for8GB-3Gspeed

If you need larger data plans, you likely need to look at different mobile company

Need Help? Let's chat.