cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited talk Canada/US

RYoulton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have read the feedback on different questions about how the Unlimited talk Canada/US works, and generally the response is that this does not cover calls made from the US (back into Canada or to other US numbers)>  The explanation is usually that once you are off the PM netwrork, you need to buy a US roaming plan.  Howver, when you read the plan details for plans that include Unlimited talk Canada/US, it says the folllowing:   "Talk, text and data services refer to services offered while connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network. For service when not connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network, a roaming package must be purchased. Calls must originate from Canada to the US."  I interpret this to mean that if you are on Tellus network - while in Canada OR the US - talk is covered under the plan.  If however you are in the US and not on a Tellus netwrok, it is NOT included and you would need an "add-on" US roaming plan.  It would be nice to get clarity on this.  i.e. are there any circumstances where phone calls made in the US are covered on a PM plan, or is it ALWAYS the case where a roaming add-on is needed?

10 REPLIES 10

Angelfireheart
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would love them to bring it back tomorrow!!!  

v2131111
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@RYoulton wrote:

I have read the feedback on different questions about how the Unlimited talk Canada/US works, and generally the response is that this does not cover calls made from the US (back into Canada or to other US numbers)>  The explanation is usually that once you are off the PM netwrork, you need to buy a US roaming plan.  Howver, when you read the plan details for plans that include Unlimited talk Canada/US, it says the folllowing:   "Talk, text and data services refer to services offered while connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network. For service when not connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network, a roaming package must be purchased. Calls must originate from Canada to the US."  I interpret this to mean that if you are on Tellus network - while in Canada OR the US - talk is covered under the plan.  If however you are in the US and not on a Tellus netwrok, it is NOT included and you would need an "add-on" US roaming plan.  It would be nice to get clarity on this.  i.e. are there any circumstances where phone calls made in the US are covered on a PM plan, or is it ALWAYS the case where a roaming add-on is needed?

Roaming concept is nothing new most people know when they are no longer in the country you are Roaming. 

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:

@PAULRANG18 wrote:

You always need a roaming plan in the US or any other country you are in.

@PAULRANG18 the first half of that sentence is correct*, but the latter half (in bold) is misleading.  PM does not offer any roaming services other than while you are in the USA.  If you are in "any other country", you are "out of luck".

* well, not entirely correct.  Other than the already-mentioned and already-no-longer-available $60 plan that included some roaming services built in, US Roaming is done via add-on(s), and not as part of your plan.  

Actually service does work in US and British Virgin Islands. Mainly because AT&T gets service in those areas and it is considered part of the US Roaming agreement. When I went to British Virgin islands I was going to get a local sim card but when I turned my phone on it worked and was on at&t. I have the discontinued Canada US plan and we I can verify that outside the Continental US you will get service in a few other countries as part of US roaming agreement. So the second part of that info other person made is slightly correct. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@PAULRANG18 wrote:

@PAULRANG18 the first half of that sentence is correct*, but the latter half (in bold) is misleading.  PM does not offer any roaming services other than while you are in the USA.  If you are in "any other country", you are "out of luck".

* well, not entirely correct.  Other than the already-mentioned and already-no-longer-available $60 plan that included some roaming services built in, US Roaming is done via add-on(s), and not as part of your plan.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@RYoulton wrote:

Does anyone know why the $60 PM plan that did include US originating talk/calls was just recently discontinued, and/or if there is a chance that it may be offered again in the future?

It was a limited time promotion.  PM might decide to bring it back seasonally, but no one really knows for sure.

RYoulton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does anyone know why the $60 PM plan that did include US originating talk/calls was just recently discontinued, and/or if there is a chance that it may be offered again in the future?

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@RYoulton wrote:

Telus' network is only in Canada. All current in-market plans don't include roaming/calls originating from the US.

ooakosiryan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You always need a roaming package to make calls from the US, unless you have the $60 plan that included US roaming (it has recently been discontinued).

"Calls must originate from Canada..." means you're interpreting it wrong if you think it means  talk is covered under the plan while you're in Canda OR US—it's just when you're in Canada.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Telus doesn't have towers in usa, there is no telus network in usa

If you happened too be on the border you may be catching signals from across.

Unless you have roaming included in your plan or unless you buy roaming package you can't use your sim in usa. Again if you happened to be in a town on the border you may be able too catch the signal, but that's just luck. I've been using my phone on the crossing before i crossed into Canada. 

Telus however has a deal with some usa tower owners (att i believe one of them) so when you do buy roaming they will allow you too use their towers while in their coverage zone. But you are not using telus network at the time

Need Help? Let's chat.