cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited plans

Punkrawk76
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

With some of the big companies rolling out with “unlimited” data plans is this something that will make its way to public mobile?   

18 REPLIES 18

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Crystal_Project_magic8ball

When?  The crystal ball cannot tell...*

*Disclaimer: Answer provided for entertainment value only.

maheshboloor

@Anonymous ofcourse. I was obviously joking. From my personal experience, ride sharing has been great and has been really convinient. 
P.S: I apologize for going off topic in this thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@maheshboloor wrote:

@ShawnC13  WTH..are you serious. I just looked it up. **bleep**. So you guys just drive home drunk after a night out? lol

Um...regular, traditional, safe, regulated, controlled, licensed taxi cabs much? They're in most major centres nowadays. Ain't no Uber thingamajigger out in the hinterlands. Small towns have a cab or two around. BC is still haggling over regulating Ubers.

Or...designated driver? Or friend? Or parent? Or child?

@maheshboloor wrote:

@ShawnC13 I agree. I will take 'something' instead of 'nothing'. One scenrio i can think of is when you are out of data and not close to wifi and you need to request an Uber. Throttled data could really be a lifesaver (ok i am exaggerating here..lol ..but you get the point).

In my opinion in this case it should be the other way around. Uber should have agreements with all providers that users can use their app even when they have no remaining data left on their plans. Since the app uses almost no data don't see it being an issue. This way it's a win,win and win situation. The user gets his ride, Uber makes profit and the provider gets their cut.

maheshboloor

@ShawnC13  WTH..are you serious. I just looked it up. **bleep**. So you guys just drive home drunk after a night out? lol

@maheshboloor, what is this Uber you speak of?!?!?  We don't have it in BC (YET) lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

maheshboloor

@ShawnC13 I agree. I will take 'something' instead of 'nothing'. One scenrio i can think of is when you are out of data and not close to wifi and you need to request an Uber. Throttled data could really be a lifesaver (ok i am exaggerating here..lol ..but you get the point).

@maheshboloor wrote:
The speed after your "limit" is reached on these plans isn't what I would think would be a fully functioning speed to keep up with your regular data use if you have already used 10GB in a month

Well, its better than getting completey cutoff. At 256/512 kbps, you can easily make whatsapp calls or text people. Even check emails and request Uber/Lyft rides. You probably wont able to browse FB or Instagram. I actually experienced 256 kbps before and i have do all that i mentioned above with it.

I understand that but for people that have already gone through 10GB of data they aren't just  using email and whatsapp.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

maheshboloor
The speed after your "limit" is reached on these plans isn't what I would think would be a fully functioning speed to keep up with your regular data use if you have already used 10GB in a month

Well, its better than getting completey cutoff. At 256/512 kbps, you can easily make whatsapp calls or text people. Even check emails and request Uber/Lyft rides. You probably wont able to browse FB or Instagram. I actually experienced 256 kbps before and i have do all that i mentioned above with it.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Punkrawk76 wrote:

With some of the big companies rolling out with “unlimited” data plans is this something that will make its way to public mobile?   

I wouldn't call these plans unlimited at all.  People come here and talk about not sure if they can handle the throttled to 3G speeds.  The speed after your "limit" is reached on these plans isn't what I would think would be a fully functioning speed to keep up with your regular data use if you have already used 10GB in a month

maheshboloor

@RossN  Unfortunately yes. Also the population/cell phone subscribers in US is almost 10 times that of Canada and thats the reason for the cheap plans. So ya, Canada will take decades to reach that kinda of value for money plans. 

@maheshboloor we could only wishSmiley Sad

maheshboloor

@smp99 Well i was in the US with Tmobile on a family plan and i used to pay 33$ USD for unlimited data. It was truly unlimited (50 GB and then throttled). I never reached 50 gb in a month; maybe 25 gb once in a while; but using up data was one less thing i had to worry about. Tmobile also gave me free Netflix (worth 14$ USD) plus they had Tmobile Tuesdays - small perks like 2$ Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts gift card for each one in my family plan (we were 5 of them). Oh yes and free roaming in Canada and Mexico (limited to 5 GB LTE and 256 kbps after that) and free 256 KBPS data in the rest of the world so i never had to get a local sim in the countries i visited or rely on wifi. While tansiting in Europe i used to have free data and could make whatsapp calls and call Uber without wifi. Overall just incredible value for the money. Thats probbaly the main thing i miss after i moved to Canada. 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I would pay $100 / 30days ( $98 after autopay  Smiley Very Happy) for an unlimited plan 3g speed so long as it was not throttled after xGB

kelvarnsen

It will be interesting to see what happens. The Telius unlimited plan is $75 a month with speeds dropping after you hit 10gb. PM will sell you an 8.5gb plan for $50 a month. I wonder what percentage of customers out there need more than 8.5gb?

maheshboloor

@Punkrawk76 probability of that happening is very low. The new $60 US promo plan is actually a great roaming plan and probably the best in Canada.(Maybe Freedom mobile has a similar plan outside PM) So hopin PM comes up with new 10 gb plans for like 50$/60$.

tehowennathe

Probably not. Telus owns PM and they haven't even brought unlimited to Koodo the other brand they own. Seems Telus is keeping unlimited plans to the parent carrier. It took long for PM to get a Canada US plan. So I doubt we would see unlimited any time soon.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Punkrawk76  hi my crystal ball says......no not in the near future Smiley Happy

Need Help? Let's chat.