cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited data at low speed in Chatr, Lucky. Why not for us?

Mahesh_r
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Chatr and Lucky both offer unlimited additional data at low speeds from their $25 plan. When you run out of data, having access to basic messaging etc. is priceless. I don't understand why Public Mobile doesn't provide this to us.

17 REPLIES 17

@Nezgar 

I admit to slight exaggeration. But not a lot, really. I was trying to emphasize that 64kbps is terribly, frustratingly slow and limited in ability to deliver today's data demands.

"Unlimited" "Endless" "Infinite" data does have some niche uses - and certainly slow data is still better than no data - but it's far more valuable as a marketing instrument than as a fallback for people who want/need more data after they've consumed their full monthly plan/add-on data provisions.

@Korth wrote:

64kbps is not a whole lot more than the 56kbps your grandparents were getting (on 56k modems) almost 40 years ago.

Ahem... pedantic patty here 👀 56kbit modems didn't reach the market until 1997 (x2/k56flex) and standardized in 1998 (v.90).... So that's 24 years ago...

A 56K modem could in reality receive no more than 53333 bps asynchronously: 10 bits per byte = 5.3KB/s

An ISDN channel synchronously carried 64000 bits per second: so 8 bits per byte = 8KB/s....

So.. 64Kbps is ~1.5X faster than the fastest analog "56K" modem would have been.

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

Incidentally, what speed does Chatr and Lucky throttle to when you go over your monthly plan's data?

("unlimited mobile data" throttles, download/upload)

Telus ... 512kbps/128kbps (512kbps/256kbps or faster in core areas)

Koodo ... 256kbps/128kbps or 256kbps/256kbps (some postpaid legacy/promo plans)

Public ... NONE

Bell ... 512kbps/128kbps (512kbps/256kbps in core areas)

Virgin ... 128kbps/64kbps (up to 256kbps/64kbps in some areas)

Lucky ... 128kbps/64kbps (slower in some areas)

Rogers ... 512kbps/128kbps (up to 512kbps/512kbps in core areas)

Fido ... 128kbps/64kbps (128kbs/128kbps in core areas)

Chatr ... 64kbps/64kbps (many users report much slower real performance)

Shaw ... 256kbps/128kbps (some promo plans, LTE only)

Freedom ... 256kbps/128kbs (some postpaid plans, LTE only)

SaskTel ... 2000kbps (this is not a typo, Canada-wide on Telus/Bell network but strictly for Saskatchewan residents only)

If you're a mobile data addict then consider this ... 64kbps is not a whole lot more than the 56kbps your grandparents were getting (on 56k modems) almost 40 years ago.

@Mahesh_r 

Goodness how did we survive before smartphones? Let alone cell phones....whereas us girls just made sure we had a twenty dollar bill neatly folded and tucked in our shoe, our bra or some other hidden spot just in case you had to get out of a bad situation.

I would be worried if I ran out of minutes and my only option was 911 or 611. At least if you carry a balance on your account or know your acct pin # you can buy a data add on....you can't buy the $5/500min add on thru 611. Transit schedules can be easily accessed with a phone call and very quickly if you already know your transit stop #. You can't call an uber but you can call or hail a cab.

That's what's great about add-ons at public mobile....they are one time purchases, they only kick in after you run out of plan data or minutes on the $15 plan. You can set your data warning and/or limiter so you know when you are low on data or when your add on will kick in. Top up your account so in a pinch you can buy a data add on and if not it's there to pay for your renewal and you can avoid the off chance of an autopay failure by manually topping up.

Why pay for something you might use? At public mobile you can just pay for what you will use...nothing more nothing less.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@WoozyPolarBear 
Chatr: 64 Kbps.

Lucky: 128 Kbps. 

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

Incidentally, what speed does Chatr and Lucky throttle to when you go over your monthly plan's data?

64Kbps for Chatr

128Kbps for Lucky

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have been a former Lucky and Chatr customer, Chatr's unlimited data is unusable. Whereas with Lucky, it's usable but slow, just don't expect video content. Websites load fine, streaming music on Spotify on low, maps works. Anything more than that, you'll be frustrated. I came to Public because of a recent promo, and I liked the rewards structure. Plus, periodically, you'll get freebies like data that can be used when you run out of your main data bucket.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think they don't offer it because Public Mobile's differentiator from Lucky and Chatr is their reward system for loyalty, referrals, community evolvement, etc. With Public Mobile, it is possible to end up with free service if you do a bit of work. With Chatr and Lucky, there is no system to end up with free service. 

Mahesh_r

I agree 1 GB is good most of the time.

My scenario is something like this -  assume you end up using all your data in say an extended international whatsapp call/sharing some photos with your friend/got carried away in some other way with your last few 100 MBs of data...  and it is say midnight or later and you run out of data away from home. You can't even book an Uber/check transit routes on Google Maps to get back home easily without access to that free, slow additional data that would have kicked in automatically. Knowing that I can always use my data to get myself back home coz I have access to unlimited, albeit slow, data is far less anxiety inducing.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Mahesh_r wrote:

Chatr and Lucky both offer unlimited additional data at low speeds from their $25 plan. When you run out of data, having access to basic messaging etc. is priceless. I don't understand why Public Mobile doesn't provide this to us.

All (current) Public Mobile plans have unlimited SMS text and unlimited MMS attachments, regardless whether or not you've already used up all your data.

If your "basic messaging" is "priceless" but you're not using standard SMS/MMS - you use the extra (data consuming) features of iMessage, RCS, Facetime, Skype, or some other app - then a single GB will likely last all month, you can always buy an add-on or upgrade your plan or use free WiFi or simply stop consuming all your mobile data on other things. Or you can always migrate to Chatr/Lucky, they have unlimited slow data but they don't give Rewards and gifts and other perks. Public Mobile doesn't offer unlimited data (yet) because they don't have to, they evidently have enough customers who don't find these "competing" offers as attractive as a lower-cost phone bill.

@Mahesh_r 

Every provider puts their own unique spin on their service. I personally prefer freebies and rewards over super slow data that I'm don't need.

There has been free data add ons given as a thank you for loyalty in August of 2019, a 5gb add on given to western customers as a competitive response to Shaw entering the mobile marketplace last summer.

The past two xmas holiday seasons pm offered the "more the merrier" campaign with free data and international minutes add ons. It's been awhile but pm used to run contests or feedback announcements with a chance to win a 1gb data add on.

Just make sure you are subscribed to recieve text and email offers and wait and see...

Mahesh_r

Instead of passive aggressively asking me to GTFO, you can share what is the logic behind the decision (like some others have) if you know it, or else simply ignore my post. "PM doesn't offer it, so leave if you wanna" is not helpful in ANY way.

Mahesh_r

Thanks for your response. Can you tell me how you received these bonus data add ons?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Mahesh_r  PM has its own unique approach. Best you can do is follow your wallet to whichever carrier offers the features you wish. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mahesh_r 

but for Chatr is plan for $25 the same with public mobile for plan $25, but the coverage network with public mobile much better and Chatr,

but if public mobile doing the $25 for $20, is will be very nice plan,

500 MB Data¹ at 3G speed
+BONUS 500 MB
with AutoPay
Unlimited
Canada-wide minutes
Unlimited
International Text and Picture Messaging.

with public mobile more Rewards you will earn Year after year.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mahesh_r 

PM gave us different benefit like free data and/or minutes add-ons.  I prefer data add-on instead very low low speed after plan data is used up for the current cycle.   Since 2019, I received bonus data add-ons 4 times for a total of 9 GB data add-ons.  YMMV

Need Help? Let's chat.