cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited calling

AdamAy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I was curious if unlimited calling meant that the phone call lengths had a cap on them. All my phone calls tend to randomly cut off after 2 hours of talking and I wanted to know if it's possible to not have it do that.
19 REPLIES 19

Ok I will test this 

I really want to see what happens

More worried my battery dies though than call drops (in real life assuming I have a 4 hour conversation why not just hit redial if disconnect?)

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@AdamAy wrote:
They do cut off at exactly the same time, it's always after 138 minutes

@AdamAy is spot on. 

urlikewoah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

PLEASE REMOVE

poutinecity
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
If I have to deal with rogers I usually just rely on live chat. That probably doesn't help you for retentions, but it's something to keep in mind for other matters.

@kav2001c, I've experienced the problem of not getting email response to a problem for days, even with repeated emails.  Once I'm in a queue, I still try other avenues, but if there are no other ways to resolve, I sit on that queue.

Do I have the time, problably not, but when you want something fixed, you do what it takes.

@will13am @stonechucker that's just scary

I really can't imagine (even on speaker) sitting on hold for that long

I usually hang up to call back when I hear the "estimate wait time is 15+ minutes" messages

I hadn't dealt with Rogers in a long time (Fido never was that long) but I would complain if the call centre was that messed up

Why not just send an email through website instead?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Anyone who has been a long time Rogers customer will know that queue time can easily reach into the 2 hour mark and beyond.  It can take upwards of 1 hour just to find the right department.  Whenever I call Rogers about home internet or tv, I make sure I have at least 2 hours to waste.  Fortunately, I usually only need to call them around contract renewal time. 

@kav2001c, generally, no, however depending on the situation, I might.

Note, I will continue any other method have available to get what ever it is I need done, but if there is no other choice, even the option for no voice mail for call back, yes, I would wait.  That's what speaker phone was made for.

@stonechucker would you really sit 2 hours in a hold queue? Why?

@stonechucker wrote:

I'd hate to be on hold, and just have the call time out, without an option to stay on the line.  This goes for both the party I'm calling, and for my service provider.

If this truly happens, I'd be upset, as I've wasted potentially 2 hours in a hold queue.

Granted, I'd be more ticked at the party I'm calling for making me wait this long.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Not sure my battery would last two hours of staight talking lol.  as for two hours in a queue I likley would have hung up after 45 minutes,  started searching for a different provider, and ranting on twitter 🙂

I'd hate to be on hold, and just have the call time out, without an option to stay on the line.  This goes for both the party I'm calling, and for my service provider.

If this truly happens, I'd be upset, as I've wasted potentially 2 hours in a hold queue.

Granted, I'd be more ticked at the party I'm calling for making me wait this long.

sportymi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have never been on the phone for so long, but I think it's a fair move to cut the line after 2+ hours.

@computergeek541 every single carrier has some limit. Otherwise network would have multiple orphan calls. 

Never tried to test Public so no idea what limit is (could be higher) but sooner or later will hit a limit and call will be disconnected.

Probably same limit as Telus/Koodo/PC Mobile have

@computergeek541 wrote:

The only company that I know of that has any type of limit for unlimited calling is Freedom Mobile who automatically disconnects all voice calls at exactly the 2 hour mark.

As for Public, if you the calls are "randomly" dropping after 2 hours, I don't believe that is because of any set limit.  If there were a set time limit for calls, your calls would be disconnected each and every time (and not just randomly), and it would happen at exactly the same point in time during each call.  I can't speak as to if Public Mobile has any type of idle/no voices detected alogorithms at work to detect any calls that may have been accidently left connected.

AdamAy
Rogers, and no

AdamAy
They do cut off at exactly the same time, it's always after 138 minutes

poutinecity

I have experienced this too over the years on Bell, Telus, and Koodo on flip phones, Android smartphones, and iPhones.  I always thought it was a safety net of the towers or provider, as the other poster explained.

@AdamAy wrote:
I was curious if unlimited calling meant that the phone call lengths had a cap on them. All my phone calls tend to randomly cut off after 2 hours of talking and I wanted to know if it's possible to not have it do that.

The only company that I know of that has any type of limit for unlimited calling is Freedom Mobile who automatically disconnects all voice calls at exactly the 2 hour mark.

As for Public, if you the calls are "randomly" dropping after 2 hours, I don't believe that is because of any set limit.  If there were a set time limit for calls, your calls would be disconnected each and every time (and not just randomly), and it would happen at exactly the same point in time during each call.  I can't speak as to if Public Mobile has any type of idle/no voices detected alogorithms at work to detect any calls that may have been accidently left connected.

poutinecity

This seems normal.  Did you not experience this with your previous carrier? Who were you with before?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@AdamAy  unlimited calling means you don't have a limit of minutes used in a month or period of the plan.  If your calls are getting cut off after 2 hours I wonder if that is a network issue that does that as a way to end the "butt dials"  and forgetting to hang up from clogging up the network if no one notices them?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.