cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited U.S. Talk Only

NicoleStates
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does this $8 add on apply to Canadians who want to talk to U.S. 

I'm in N.S. and I talk to a friend in LasVegas a lot. Trying to figure out what to add to my $15 plan. 

18 REPLIES 18

NicoleStates

Thank you.

@NicoleStates 

If Textnow option does not work for you, another option is to get the $50 Public mobile plan, with unlimited Canada and US talk.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/50for10GB-3Gspeed

Obviously, more expensive than your $15 plan.  But if you are calling 2-3 hours per day to USA, it might be worth it.  

If your friend has a cheaper plan (US plans are generally cheaper), ask them to call you instead.  With $15 plan, you have unlimited incoming calls. 

@NicoleStates wrote:

Thank you. How do I find this list of numbers I cannot call?

If you meant PM, then this is the list that you can't call

Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in US calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialled: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726.

If you meant TextNow, if dont think there is a list you can't.  But since it is free app and free account, try it and see

@NicoleStates wrote:

Thank you. Do you know how much data this uses?

You meant how much data used for using Voip app to call?

Generally speaking, 0.5Mb /min, so 30Mb/ hour

But keep in mind, you can use WIFI instead of data to call, like when you are home, and it wouldn't consume your data then

NicoleStates

I do have this, I'm wondering how much data it uses for a call?

NicoleStates

I did get this, but that won't last long enough. My best friend is in America and it would be nothing for us to chat 2-3 hours a day.

NicoleStates

Thank you. Do you know how much data this uses?

NicoleStates

Thank you. How do I find this list of numbers I cannot call?

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@NicoleStates I have used an APP called TextNow. You can call or text to any number in North America for FREE. But the app requires you to use it often. If you don't use it after 7 days, you number will be gone.

@NicoleStates 

You weren’t with PM last December? For the last two Christmas seasons PM has given everyone a US/International calling plan of 400 or 500 minutes. You just had to,log in to Self Serve and select the freebie. So no guarantees but maybe they will make it three years in a row this coming Nov/Dec. I guess the decision whether to buy a plan now or procrastinate awhile depends on whether the $15/1000 minute US calling plan would last you a lifetime or just a few months.

AE_Collector 

Actually the PM US rate is not that bad. 1.5 cents a minute. Or 16.7 hours of calling. My Voip is 1 cent a minute. I could not find the Telus home phone rate but they have an Unlimited USA rate for $15 a month. I think the PM rate is not bad and you have the portability of using it on a cell phone.  

@NicoleStates 

You would want to purchase the $15/1000 min calling add on. ( Add funds, select add on, confirm and submit payment.) The add on is a one time purchase and will stay on your account until you completely deplete the minutes. It will give you over 16 hours of talk time. A one hour phone call will cost $0.90.

You also have many free or cheap options while on wifi such as facetime, messenger, voip providers, whatsapp, fongo etc...

Yes that is a good idea if US caller has cheap calling you can text and ask for a call. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@NicoleStates wrote:

Does this $8 add on apply to Canadians who want to talk to U.S. 

I'm in N.S. and I talk to a friend in LasVegas a lot. Trying to figure out what to add to my $15 plan. 

As others have suggested, I strongly second the use of a web-based calling app or service to contact folks outside Canada (or even within Canada once you use or approach your limited outgoing calling minutes on the minute-limited $15.00 plan).

Another option, is you could text the person and ask them to call you if they may have outgoing calling coverage.   It's absolutely free for you to receive calls from anywhere in the world, with no cost or restrictions.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Yes, adding 1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 as advised above is the way to go.

If you are non-Apple user and would like use some other mean of communication, consider Whatsapp, Facebook Chat (it has voice and video)

Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in US calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialled: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726.

Consider FaceTime if both have Apple products. Or texting is free. 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

No...that is for use while you are in the USA. 

You want this to call from Canada to USA. 

1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes⁴ $15

But there are some numbers that you cannot call to in the USA. 
Need Help? Let's chat.