cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Nationwide TALK ONLY plans?

Mayellah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My elderly parents have no use for text or data and was wondering if Public Mobile offers a Nationwide TALK ONLY plan? 

Thinking of switching them to the current $25 unlimited nationwide/ 500mb + 500mb /unlimited text plan, but was wondering if there was something cheaper. Has anyone ever seen such promotion? Cheaper rate?

Thanks!!!  

24 REPLIES 24

Master2001
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Mayellah “You said My elderly parents have no use for text or data” and “They only use about 115 -150 minutes”

You can take $10 plan “50 MINUTES Canada-wide Talk” and add one 500 minutes add-on @$5 (that never expire).

When they go low on their 500 minutes you simply add another one. You can buy many 500 minutes add-on in advance if you want.

You can activate the SIM yourself with a new number. When they got the SIM, you can also initiate porting yourself. It could be easier if you manage they account.

saeliux
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@kelvarnsen wrote:

@saeliux wrote:

I find that most people of older generation needs more help using technology. So you have to consider this if switching to PM. They will get very frustrated if they cannot call for customer support. 

I manage both my parents cellphones. Its easier for everyone. 

Not that I have any data to back this up but I imagine that most PM users experience zero issues. It is just if you spend too much time on this board you might assume there are a lot of problems. 

Oh for sure, PM business model is great. I myself am a happy customer, and brought 4 accounts to PM. Only 1 did not go smoothly but resolved well. 

My point was just to consider PM weaknesses if the user is older and not tech savvy. It is a question of how independent the parents want to be. My own parents don't care about being independent 😕

But some people care but if they are not tech savvy, they might struggle and regret it when lighting strikes (usually on renewals/credit card expiry).. 

kelvarnsen

@saeliux wrote:

I find that most people of older generation needs more help using technology. So you have to consider this if switching to PM. They will get very frustrated if they cannot call for customer support. 

Not that I have any data to back this up but I imagine that most PM users experience zero issues. It is just if you spend too much time on this board you might assume there are a lot of problems. 

saeliux

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Barth wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@Barth  but that is a home phone service,  can you use a home phone service sim  in a cell phone?

also after the 12 monhs it goes up to $20/month + dont forget the $65 onetime fee

I did mention the setup fee. What I did not mention was that I spoke to a Koodo booth rep about this plan. His take: (1) a sim is a sim—it will work in a cell phone & (2) call Koodo after 12 months for another year of price reductions. I don't know how well that would work because I didn't go with the plan.

Koodo Sim is Locked to the Home Phones ZTE Devices IMEI. It doesn't work in a Cell Phone.

chukdefatey

What I suggest for your Parents is Either the $15 ($13 with Auto Pay) or $20 ($18 with Auto Pay)

$15 Nation Wide calling plan100 outgoing minutes with unlimited incoming with $5 500 Canada Wide Minutes add on which doesn't expire till used up. You can either Purchase the add on one at a time or buy as many as you want. Remember the add on minutes don't expire till used up as long as you keep paying the plan fee or

$20 Province Wide Unlimited Calling Plan with the $5 500 Minutes Canada Wide Add on. Remember the add one don't expire till all used up. Buy one at a time or buy as many as you want. 

Again the above plans are $13 or $18 if you Register a Credit or Debit Card. Remember it just has to be registered in order to get the $2 discount. You can manually top up with the credit card you registered or buy top up cards.  Also with Public Mobile there are no Long distance, pay per use or any other charges what so ever.

Barth

@mimmo wrote:

@Barth  but that is a home phone service,  can you use a home phone service sim  in a cell phone?

also after the 12 monhs it goes up to $20/month + dont forget the $65 onetime fee

I did mention the setup fee. What I did not mention was that I spoke to a Koodo booth rep about this plan. His take: (1) a sim is a sim—it will work in a cell phone & (2) call Koodo after 12 months for another year of price reductions. I don't know how well that would work because I didn't go with the plan.

woweh69
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The $25 seem to be the best unlimited talk/text at the moment. Still a pretty good deal IMO!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Barth

I see this thread is marked resolved, and I believe this will add more to the conversation.

Koodo offers an unlimited wireless home phone service for $5 per month, plus setup fees, that would be cheaper than the options discussed here.

https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/wireless-home-phone

mimmo

They could go to a retail location and activate there? I'm sure the rep would change Sims and use you referal code. 

Mayellah

Thanks!!! I think that’s the solution... I’m currently on the $25 plan but wanted to switch them over and wasn’t sure what was the best route to go... Thanks again for all your help!!! Now, let’s just hope after buying the SIM and shipping it to them, they can figure out how to swap the SIMS 😐 Phone is already unlocked, so that’s not an issue. 

Hopefully this works out and saves some $$$ 

mimmo

They roll over. I actually bought 3 @$5 addons so that I do t have to worry that often with my dad.

Also if you know someone at pm you can get $10 credit on your first line by using a referal code.  The other person gets $1 off per cycle aswell. 

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Mayellah they roll over every month until theyre all used up!  Every month they'd start with the 100 outgoing minutes and then go in the extra 500 if needed! 

Mayellah

Do add-on minutes roll over or do they expire at the end of billing cycle?

mimmo

@Mayellah  if you were referring to my post the 500 min addons are Canada wide and  not the limited talk plans are Canada wide.

@Mayellah wrote:

Interesting... 

They only use about 115 -150 minutes, but they need nationwide as we live in different provinces... I think my best option is the $25... They are currently with Rogers and have less service/options than what PM is offering $25, yet I’m paying $35 and change 😐.

Great suggestion though for provincewide though!!! 

@Mayellah  sounds like the 15$ 100 outgoing minutes and unlimited incoming wold work with the 5$ 500 minute add on like @mimmo said.  Most likely some of what they use is incoming so those would be unlimited! 

kelvarnsen

@mh1983 wrote:

$25 is the best rate for a plan that includes unlimited talk. Heck, it's the best rate I've seen in years for a plan with talk/text/data. You'd be hard pressed to find a better deal.

Your parents don't need to use the data on the plan. You can simply disable the data settings on the phone itself. 

It really is a great deal. Plus only $23 if you use autopay. I used to have an unlimited talk and text only plan with Rogers and I was paying $35 a month. 

Mayellah

Interesting... 

They only use about 115 -150 minutes, but they need nationwide as we live in different provinces... I think my best option is the $25... They are currently with Rogers and have less service/options than what PM is offering $25, yet I’m paying $35 and change 😐.

Great suggestion though for provincewide though!!! 

mimmo

@Mayellah do you know how much your parents actually talk?  My dad was on the unlimited provincial plan for 20$, recenty I moved him to the 10$, 50 minute plan and bought him 2 $5, 500 minute addons which equaled $ 20 total, he used about only 700 minutes in the end. So he ended up saving as the next month only 1 addon will be purchased.

The 15$ plan includes 100 minutes and unlimited incoming calls.

So you could do either with multiple  500 min addons, if you want to save some money, but it requires a little work on your end. Again this depends on how much they talk. 

Mayellah

True... I’m not even sure they’d even know how to activate/launch it. Regardless, even if they do by accident, thankfully it’s prepaid and I won’t be billed for overage!!! 

Mayellah

Thanks... 

We are in different provinces, so unfortunately that wouldn’t work for us. I’m sure it could work for other though, looking for a similar talk only plan. 

@Mayellah wrote:

My elderly parents have no use for text or data and was wondering if Public Mobile offers a Nationwide TALK ONLY plan? 

Thinking of switching them to the current $25 unlimited nationwide/ 500mb + 500mb /unlimited text plan, but was wondering if there was something cheaper. Has anyone ever seen such promotion? Cheaper rate?

Thanks!!!  

Sorry, there is no such plan.  If less expensive is nore important than Canada-wide calling, there is a plan for $20 that includes unlimited province-wide calling.

mh1983

$25 is the best rate for a plan that includes unlimited talk. Heck, it's the best rate I've seen in years for a plan with talk/text/data. You'd be hard pressed to find a better deal.

Your parents don't need to use the data on the plan. You can simply disable the data settings on the phone itself. 

Need Help? Let's chat.