cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Multimedia Requests Data

melborne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As the title says, receiving and sending picture messages requires data and calculates towards your maximum bandwidth. Am I reading what unlimited means wrong? 

26 REPLIES 26

Lowufo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Geopublic, Computergeek514 and others who posted are correct. I checked my account again an hour or so later and the usage is pretty close to what the device says. 

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

@melborne wrote:

Based on the fact that the type of message you want to send it's mms, data will be used out of your total data bundle so as the transfer to be possible.

Take care,

Alan_T

Moderator Team

@Alan_T please note that you are giving out incorrect information.  @Alan_K can you please follow up with the entire @CS_Agent  and make sure they understand how the system actually works?  

Thank you for the tag @srlawren , have shared back with the team.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@melborne wrote:

Based on the fact that the type of message you want to send it's mms, data will be used out of your total data bundle so as the transfer to be possible.

Take care,

Alan_T

Moderator Team

@Alan_T please note that you are giving out incorrect information.  @Alan_K can you please follow up with the entire @CS_Agent  and make sure they understand how the system actually works?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

The only time MMS actually consumers data against your plan data is when you purchase the US roaming add-on.  That is when it consumes data against the amount of roaming data you purchased. If you are located in Canada it will not count against your plan data amount.  

For those that are saying it uses your data amount while in Canada are either incorrect or have an issue with their account that they need to have looked at.  If you go to self serve when you are browsing it is listed as Web and shows an amount in the data usage column, for MMS it says Data Event and didn't give an amount and the usage type is MMS not MB

mms data.PNG

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@melborne wrote:

No one provided that answer -- that it requires data consumption to send and receive MMS, including yourself. In your request I will gladly give it to @Lowufo for taking time out of his day to prove I was correct rather than just blantely say I was wrong, or award that notion of thinking to someone else.

The answer that the moderator gave you contains incorrect information. I know that's on the moderator though. Data out of your data plan allocation does not get used by MMS. Please see the typo above that I fixed. No one is trying to point out that you're wrong, but the information that you were provided is.

melborne

No one provided that answer -- that it requires data consumption to send and receive MMS, including yourself. In your request I will gladly give it to @Lowufo for taking time out of his day to prove I was correct rather than just blantely say I was wrong, or award that notion of thinking to someone else. And for the record; I only gave it to myself because I took the time and effort to solve the problem, rather than say what I believed to be true.

To @Lowufo would you be so kind as to edit your post with the copy/paste from the Support ticket I created? That way when someone else looks at the fine details, they may find their answer here without scrolling through 3 pages of replies.

@melborne wrote:

The Solution: As per my Support Ticket, speaking to the Moderator Team. 

Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging Feature, and/or Addon to Plans is in fact Unlimited -- Although requires Data, thus at some point the Unlimited Feature becomes a charge to continue using past your Allocated Data & Data Add ons. Please do not change the solution @computergeek541 , as this is the answer.

Take care,

Alan_T

Moderator Team

It's strongly frowned upon by other for members to give themselves solutions. Others here already provided the same  correct answer and assigning to yourself isn't fair to them. Solutions may also play a part in monthly Community rewards, so I would ask that you assign this solution to one of the Community members who provided this answer very quickly after your question was asked.

melborne

The Solution: As per my Support Ticket, speaking to the Moderator Team. 

Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging Feature, and/or Addon to Plans is in fact Unlimited -- Although requires Data, thus at some point the Unlimited Feature becomes a charge to continue using past your Allocated Data & Data Add ons. Please do not change the solution @computergeek541 , as this is the answer.

Take care,

Alan_T

Moderator Team

melborne

No plan doesn't include data, so to solve that question you'll have to max yours and find out.

Again, I've received a mms and my mb went up, fully connected to wifi that is connected to a 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz auto connect. Not once turning on/off data. The solution was changed by an oracle for this post for whatever reason they've felt, I've adjusted that.

kerago
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Pretty sure mms will not take off your data. People with no data can still send mms no? 

@LowufoPublic Mobile's data counter counts everything including overhead.. your 5.24MB happens when your device hand shakes with the network, so if you want to save data, don't turn data on and off often. Those data are usually not counted on the data counter on phones.

@Lowufo  As others have mentioned the 5mb is a temporary buffer that the system uses when you turn data on and gets released after a certain time period. Turn your iPhone off for about 5 minutes then go into selfserve what does it report for data usage?

Lowufo

The other weird part is Public Mobile shows she used 4 mins setting up her voicemail but on her iphone it says 0 mins talk time. Then on the iphone it says 18.6KB data used for system services but again on the PM site it says she 5.24mb of data. Clearly something is wrong

Lowufo

Something not right here others claim data is not used when sending a MMS. Just did a test on my wifes iphone by going into cellular and turning off everything under data except messages. Then sent her one picture as a test and in her account it said before the picture was sent 1.1mb of data used and after the picture it says 5.24 mb of data used. So PM must be having an issue how data is calculated .......

srlawren

@melborne wrote:

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions, ideas and posts. I'll take this issue to a support ticket so Public Mobile can look at it further and more indepth. 

@melborne yep sounds like your best bet.  It sounds to me like everything is working correctly but they can verify for you.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

melborne

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions, ideas and posts. I'll take this issue to a support ticket so Public Mobile can look at it further and more indepth. 

melborne

Likely as that sounds; I did test this prior to my post, and I'd even be more than happy to test with you further if you'd like my number, that when I receive a Multimedia Message I am consuming a small amount of my Mb per month to download it. My phone does not use Data, as I am connected to Wifi 24/7 with it.

Edit: While my Data on my phone is turned off, I cannot download any attachments sent to me. While on, it costs me Mb. It's pretty straight forward, I didn't wake up today and say "what the heck" and run to the forums, this has been an-over-three-day troubleshoot.

srlawren

@melborne wrote:

Upon doing so, My public Mobile Data Useage went up to 5.298  /  1024 MB. Downloading a few pictures sent to me.

@melborne that 5.298 MB actually has nothing to do with the picture messaging.  @Anonymous has a better explanation of how this works but essentially that's a "buffer" for data usage that pops into your overview page when you turn on data, but eventually (assuming your phone doesn't actually use any other data than MMS messages) it does reset to remove that usage amount.  I believe z10user4 discovered you can force it to do that by turning on airplane mode or something, though I forget the details.  

melborne

@will13am This is using the Public Mobile Useage/History website, not my data meter. My data useage in my account has gone up receiving these multimedia messages. I have otherwise tested this with another message, and watched as it has raised.

melborne

I've had Data turned off on my phone since I turned on and activated my Public Mobile Sim card. Sitting at 0.00Mb used until I turned it on to receive and download Multimedia files on my Samsung A10.

Upon doing so, My public Mobile Data Useage went up to 5.298  /  1024 MB. Downloading a few pictures sent to me.

@jor123 wrote:

Your phone would probably still record it as data used in its own tracking just because it can't differentiate

The data meter on the phone is design to exclude data used by the messaging app for sending and receiving MMS.  As I said, this is where the proxy server comes into play to handle MMS data.  Take a look at the APN setting, specifically the data fields for MMS. 

tehowennathe

It won't use your data at all. A while back I was just on a talk and text plan and kept data on. Even without data it works. 

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Your phone would probably still record it as data used in its own tracking just because it can't differentiate

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@melborne , MMS is routed through a proxy server and is unmetered data.  So it does not count towards the metered data usage.  If course data must be turned on for MMS to work.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@melborne hi using mms does not count against your data allotment you only need data enabled to use the feature 

[This was the first correct answer ........ Luddite]

Need Help? Let's chat.