cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited International Text--USA for one Day ONly

wearehelpers
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am going to the USA for one day only.  Part of my plan is for unlimited international texting. I don't want to buy an add-on for just a few hours. Will my texting in this plan do for my trip?

30 REPLIES 30

@wearehelpers wrote:

..okay so I paid for an $8 unlimited talk usa  roaming add-on.Before I did that (on my phone with 611), I added my $20 voucher amount.  I paid on my phone as well.  On self-serve and on my phone they list I still have $20.00 in my account, even though in Self-Serve the u s roaming for unlimited talk is listed.  Btw, I have an old Samsung flip phone.  I have turned the phone to "enable" re: data roaming.  I am wondering if this will work, given that the $8 I supposedly paid for has not been taken from my $20 voucher.  ?  Or do I have to wait until I get to the usa to find out?  Thank you, and my apologies for previously asking the same question in different ways 🙂

You need to go back to the add-ons page and purchase/add the add-on, as silly as that sounds.  Public Mobile's self-serve system doesn't allow customers to purchase the add-on unless the funds are first in the account. You would think that it would top up the needed amount for you if you have a credit card on file and put the add-on in your account for you, but it doesn't.  It only tops you up.  I would not add the roaming package to your account until very shortly before you start your travels, but the the first partial day will count as as a full day out of the 10 days, and this starts ticking down as soon as you make the purchase.

I have also merged this new thread into your other.  Please keep the discussion about the same topic of your travels and roaming add-on in a single thread.  This will help others more easily follow your conversation, and it will also make it easier for you to find the answers that you need.  Don't worry about it.  I know that you were probably trying to find out the answer, didn't see it, so probably posted again, maybe not knowing how to find the old thread.  However, you'll find that if the other members have all the talik about your desire to use a roaming add-on in one place, you'll probably get better answers because the people trying to help you will have a better idea of what you're trying to accomplish.

wearehelpers

..okay so I paid for an $8 unlimited talk usa  roaming add-on.Before I did that (on my phone with 611), I added my $20 voucher amount.  I paid on my phone as well.  On self-serve and on my phone they list I still have $20.00 in my account, even though in Self-Serve the u s roaming for unlimited talk is listed.  Btw, I have an old Samsung flip phone.  I have turned the phone to "enable" re: data roaming.  I am wondering if this will work, given that the $8 I supposedly paid for has not been taken from my $20 voucher.  ?  Or do I have to wait until I get to the usa to find out?  Thank you, and my apologies for previously asking the same question in different ways 🙂

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@funpig

One slightly off-topic question:  if I am PM roaming in the US, does the person calling me have to pay for long distance charges?

If that was the case then it would be Great way to cost someone hundreds of dollars.   How can any company bill you for calling long distance when you just called a local number. 

@funpig wrote:

I have used Roam Mobility the last couple of years and always liked being able to buy talk, text or data or combination thereof by the day.  Roam Mobility is much cheaper than the daily travel plan charges by Telus etc.  However, I am really looking forward to using PM's add-on.  I usually travel at least a week so the PM add-ons work for me.  And it would be nice to keep using my own number.

One slightly off-topic question:  if I am PM roaming in the US, does the person calling me have to pay for long distance charges?

@funpig  No they will not. Also even if you don't have a US Roaming add-on you will still be able to receive texts from Canada while you are down there as long as you are connectect to T-Mobile or AT&T unoficially if might be able to receive calls also. Outgoing texts or calling will require the add-on to work.

@funpig no the person is still calling your local number as if you are still local.. so they don't pay long distance charger.

funpig
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have used Roam Mobility the last couple of years and always liked being able to buy talk, text or data or combination thereof by the day.  Roam Mobility is much cheaper than the daily travel plan charges by Telus etc.  However, I am really looking forward to using PM's add-on.  I usually travel at least a week so the PM add-ons work for me.  And it would be nice to keep using my own number.

@wearehelpers wrote:

Would you know which one is best?  I don't need to text--I would like to just buy the unlimited talk with US roaming.  Could I do that?

@wearehelpers, I would suggest the talk roaming plan. The text remaining text plan has a strange quirk when you are back in Canada and Canadian texting is affected when the addon expires on day 10.

The talk roaming addon doesn't have this problem.

@wearehelpers 

Please refrain from starting multiple threads. As it stands, there were 3 threads started over the past 2 days all asking about the same issue.  That in resulted in some duplication and repetition of answers which doesn't help anyone.  These threads have been merged together as they are all about the very same topic and question.  Members have provided some detailed answers for you, so enjoy your trip!

dna2016

@hairbag1 I think you meant voila, right?  Smiley LOL  I'm not a big fan of string instruments, I'm more of a brass or woodwind kind of person, like the saxophone, lol.Smiley LOL

dna2016

@wearehelpers as what @ShawnC13 said pick whichever one you want.  I mean it depends on what you prefer.  If you need information from someone immediately then I guess it's better to call them.  If you don;t mind waiting then text.  Both features are $8 so you're not losing out on money.  I'm more of a text guy personally, but considering that I'd be going to a different country altogether and something goes wrong, i.e. I get hurt or something, I wouldn't want to be stuck with only being able to text family/friends.  So from an emergency standpoint I'd say get the talk option.

@wearehelpers wrote:

Hello...I am travelling to the US for ONE day only.  I would only like to get a talk plan where I can call Ontario numbers.  Which add on plan should I get?  Thank you

@wearehelpers  Pick the cheapest one. I think the one @hairbag1  recommended would be your best choice. US roaming addons are good for 10 days and allow you to call anywhere in Nort America. Aslo note that you will also be able to receive texts while in the US without any addon but you wont be able to send texts.

dna2016

@wearehelpers if all you want is talk only then you'll need to sign up for the U.S. roaming talk only plan for $8.  You'll need this plan because as soon as you get to the U.S. you'll be connected to their cell towers, and "roaming" on their network (At&T, Verizon, etc.).  So in order to call back to Ontario you'll have to connect to the U.S network towers to make that call, hence why you'll need the roaming add-on, and that's all you'll need.  When you make a call back to Ontario disregard the automated message about "long distance charges may apply", that message always comes up, just let that message finish and the call will be connected.  You won't be charged long distance because PM does not allow charges outside of what you have already prepaid for.  It's an annoying message but it is what it is.

All roaming packages are automatically set for 10 days, so whether you use all 10 days or just 1 day the price doesn't change.  Once 10 days are up the feature falls off your plan automatically so there's nothing you'll need to do.

@wearehelpers wrote:

Would you know which one is best?  I don't need to text--I would like to just buy the unlimited talk with US roaming.  Could I do that?

Purchasing addons is a two-step process.  Here is a great tutorial on how to purchase add-ons created by @srlawren  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/m-p/198974

Here's your options...

U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle

Unlimited Talk, International Text and 250MB Data for just $20 for 10 days.

U.S. Talk and Text Bundle

Unlimited Talk and International Text for just $15 for 10 days.

U.S. Talk Only

Unlimited Talk for just $8 for 10 days.

U.S. Text Only

Unlimited International Text for just $8 for 10 days.

U.S. Data Only

250MB Data for $10, 500MB Data for $15 and 1GB Data for $20 for 10 days.

wearehelpers

@wearehelpers wrote:

Hello...I am travelling to the US for ONE day only.  I would only like to get a talk plan where I can call Ontario numbers.  Which add on plan should I get?  Thank you

U.S. Talk Only

Unlimited Talk for just $8 for 10 days.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@wearehelpers  all usa roaming plans last 10 days.  you just need to pick the best option or combination of options that best suits your needs.

@wearehelpers wrote:

I am going to the US on Saturday only for the day.  I would like to purchase talk OR text, both of which would work to contact Canada.  Please tell me which plan is best for 1 day.

Like you, I'll be in the USA this weekend. I just purchased the 10 Day US Roaming Talk & Text Add-on. I simply preloaded my account with $15 from my cc that's on file...then selected the talk/text add-on ...and viola !! Perdy simple and tres handy whilst I'm travelling in Washington state.

Don't forget your passports...and drive safe.

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There are plans for text, text and talk.  Pick the one you'll need.

wearehelpers

@wearehelpers wrote:

I am going to the US on Saturday only for the day.  I would like to purchase talk OR text, both of which would work to contact Canada.  Please tell me which plan is best for 1 day.

Whichever one you want.  All US roaming add-ons are for a 10 day period so you just need to decide if you want to talk or text.

Purchasing addons is a two-step process.  Here is a great tutorial on how to purchase add-ons created by @srlawren  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/m-p/198974

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

wearehelpers

chukdefatey

@wearehelpers wrote:

How will I be able to purchase a USA add-on?  I pay for my service with cash, a voucher.

The same way, buy a voucher for what ever amount as long as it's enough to cover the add on. Once the voucher is added purchase the add on that you want and if there is any amount left from your voucher purchase it will be in your Available funds. 

wearehelpers

thank you

wearehelpers

How will I be able to purchase a USA add-on?  I pay for my service with cash, a voucher.

chukdefatey

@wearehelpers wrote:

I am going to the USA for one day only.  Part of my plan is for unlimited international texting. I don't want to buy an add-on for just a few hours. Will my texting in this plan do for my trip?

Services that are purchased in a certain country only work in the country you bought it at. Your plan is a Canadian Plan with international texting. Not a Roaming Plan with international texting, so your texting or any other services won't work. However incoming texts do work and are Free

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@wearehelpers wrote:

No. Your base plan covers calling/texting from Canada.

When traveling to USA you will need a US roaming add-on to call/text.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you have access to wi-fi then you could use apps like Fongo, textnow, or Whatsapp.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can receive texts but won't be able to reply/send texts without a US roaming add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.