cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding US Roaming

jtd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Apologies if this seems obvious but.....

My wife and I both have Public Mobile Canada wide calling plans.

We're going to Florida in June, we'll be spending time with family from the UK who'll also be in Florida. If we're looking for an add on to call them do I need an International calling add on (they have UK cell numbers) or a US add on (they'll be in the US).

Similar question if I call my wife - the call will be Canadian number to Canadian number but we're both in the US.

Thanks.

John

5 REPLIES 5

karthiks

@jtd wrote:

We're going to Florida in June, we'll be spending time with family from the UK who'll also be in Florida. If we're looking for an add on to call them do I need an International calling add on (they have UK cell numbers) or a US add on (they'll be in the US).

Similar question if I call my wife - the call will be Canadian number to Canadian number but we're both in the US.

Thanks.

John

There's something else you could try given that the $20 US Roaming Add-on has about 250MB of data (and assuming you will be in a WiFi area too): a VoIP service.

Or something like Fongo perhaps.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@jtd   The other option would be if all parties had access to data or wifi to use calling/texting features of a free app like whatsapp.  Of course you would all need to have the same app installed on your devices.

karthiks

@jtd wrote:

Thanks.

John

Looking at this matrix (see link), I don't think you will be able to call UK numbers. 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/long-distance-and-us-roaming-add-ons

You will, however be able to call your wife and any other US-based number with the U.S. Roaming add-on.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@jtd wrote:

Thanks.

John

A unique question but here are my thoughts.  When you are in the US with the US roaming addon you will not be able to call the UK number as I believe the roaming addon is for US and Canada calls only (I could be mistaken though).  As for your wifes number you should have no issues calling that number as long as you both have the US roaming addon.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@jtd 

You and your wife will need a US roaming package to call  each other in the United States or any other number in Canada or USA. 

From my understanding, unfortunately, you will not be able to call your relatives from UK.  The international long distance calling package that Public mobile has only works within Canada.  

Need Help? Let's chat.