cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send or receive text message

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

There could be a number of reasons why you are unable to send/receive text messages. To resolve the issue, try the following:

1. Check your account – Ensure that your Public Mobile account is in active status and you
are subscribed to the text message (SMS) feature. You can check this by visiting your Public Mobile Self Serve account. 

2. Check the phone number – Make sure the phone number is correct.Enter the phone number using one of the following methods:

• North American destination: Type the 10-digit phone number. 
  • International destination: Type 011, followed by the country code and the mobile phone number.
  1. Check signal strength- The signal strength may be low.
  • Make sure you have at least two bars of signal strength with 3G or 4G LTE in the network indicator.
  • If you have low signal strength, move to a location with better coverage. Concrete and steel buildings may be hindering reception, especially in elevators and underground locations like basements, subways, and tunnels.
15 REPLIES 15

Volboi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I can take calls, I have unlimited messaging on my account, my account is paid and up to date, I have good reception, people are receiving my texts, but I cannot and haven't been receiving texts for the last 12 hours. I've restarted my phone also. Can anyone help?

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Hello @JAtlas and welcome to the community!

As mentioned, it sounds like you are porting a number and the port has not completed yet. Sometimes it can take as long as 24 hours to complete (or longer with land lines). Have you received any text messages at all? You should receive something from Public Mobile when the port has completed successfully.

Keep us posted.

@JAtlas wrote:
I am having the same problem. I can send texts to my contacts as well but am not receiving any. As well as calls. I can call out but they get my voicemail

Is this for a phone number that you asked to be transfered to Public Mobile within the last few hours?  If that is so, you wouldn't receive phone calls or text messages until the phone number transfer has completed.  And when callers get your voicemail, is it your voicemail account from the old carrier?

or is that a phone number that you've had a Public Mobile for a while?

JAtlas
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I am having the same problem. I can send texts to my contacts as well but am not receiving any. As well as calls. I can call out but they get my voicemail

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @millerdai

Sorry to hear about the texting trouble, 

Can you send me a private message with your Public Mobile phone number so that I can look at this for you? 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

millerdai

I am having problem sedning or receving text messages. I got the text from 611 saying that I dont have text plan. But I do have the text add-on. Can someone help?

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @derek_4,

That is quite weird! Could you send me her number by private message, as well as yours? I would also need to know which carrier she's with. 

I will look into this for you 🙂

Cheers,

Kalla

derek_4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I meet all of these requirements. All signals are great, 4G is available, the numbers are exactly the same as always, sending texts in a standard house (no concrete basements etc.). It's just the one person's phone who can't text to me. She can send/receive text to/from everyone, she can receive my texts, but I can't receive hers. As for me, I can send/receive texts to/from everyone as well. Before the Public Mobile system change, I could receive all her texts with no problems. Something must have happened in the change? She's a fairly important contact on my phone and I would like to restore the ability to communicate with her

chukdefatey
@Martin, The point is its a Prepaid service so think about it why would you cancel. Now come on think, think real hard. So like I said before with prepaid there is nothing to cancel you simply just stop paying the service will cancel itself so there is really no point in calling to cancel a prepaid service. If you must cancel cut up the Sim card and flush it down the toilet. Again with Prepaid there is nothing to cancel.

benwarez
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

the current terms of service. You can cancel service at any time, without penalty or cancellation fees.

Martin
Legend
Legend
chuk,

You should have read the Terms of Service before shouting, "... NOTHING TO CANCEL ..."

They clearly state that one can cancel service at any time.

chukdefatey

^Exactly

But since this thread is already of topic FYI: to every one, there is NOTHING TO "CANCEL" this is a PREPAID SERVICE you pay you have service for 30 days N if you don't pay you have no service and if you don't pay for 90 days your will loose your number with PM. Its as Simple as that and this applies to all Prepaid Plans with all Providers. The only difference is the time period before your number is deleted from the system various from provider to provider but generally its 90 days to 6 months.

benwarez
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Kgroves, this post was about Unable to send or receive text message, U should post your own post regarding your phone problem, regarding joining another company won't solve your phone problem

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello Kgroves,

Most phones come with a one year warranty. Did you purchase your phone on or after March 17 of last year? If you did, and if you bought it from PM, call *611 from your cell (if possible) or 1-855-4PUBLIC from any phone.

As far as cancelling your service, all that you have to do is not renew your plan on its expiry date. If you continue not to renew, then after 90 days, your account will be deleted from the computer system.

Considering that your phone is continually restarting, try this: Turn the power off on your phone. Remove the SIM card and look for damage on it. If damaged, you will need a new one. Remove the battery. Look for bulges and leakage. If either is present, a new battery is required. Keep the card and the battery out of the phone for at least 5 minutes. Reinsert the card, making sure that it is not loose. Re-insert the battery, ensuring that all contacts are firmly in place. Turn the power back on. If you haven't done the preceding, you may find that your phone is now working properly.

If you did not purchase your phone from PM, call the company that sold the phone to you.

Good luck!

Kgroves

My phone is actually re-starting on its own every 5 seconds...I have been a public mobile customer from before the change...how do I find out if my phone is still on warranty? and if its not can I cancel my monthy payment as I will have to leave publiv to join another company if you cannot help me 

Need Help? Let's chat.