cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive calls from landlines

Vancouver1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an iPhone 8 Plus and installed the SIM card and started using my phone. I can send and receive texts and I can send and receive calls from other mobile phone. I can call landlines. All my data services work. 

I cannot receive calls from landlines and this is becoming a serious problem. I have taken the SIM card out and re-inserted it. 

I desperately need this fixed. 

Best, Vancouver1

14 REPLIES 14

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Vancouver1 wrote:

this is an incoming call issue from ONLY landlines, I do not have any problems with outgoing calls. 

Ok sorry. Will leave conversation. Good luck. 

Vancouver1

this is an incoming call issue from ONLY landlines, I do not have any problems with outgoing calls. 

iPhoneUser

There is a list of numbers in the USA that we cannot call. 

Vancouver1

While I appreciate all the suggestions, from turn on and off airplane mode, check if number ported (not), check iPhone blocked list, do not disturb, take SIM card in and out, etc. I can assure you that none of these suggestions have resolved the problem.

For those who are experiencing the problem, I can recommend keeping track of the number of the landline that called, date and time, and inquire as to their landline phone company and then get in touch with the moderator.

I am still resolving the problem months later. This is all very frustrating and the landline phone companies are not all the same and in different locations in Canada and the USA. 

iPhoneUser

I googled and found the following. 

iPhone 8 can’t receive calls. iPhone 8 not receiving calls from certain numbers. Not receiving calls on iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus.

Solution

If you’re having issues receiving calls on iPhone 8, here’s a few troubleshooting steps:

First, make sure you have service and are able to place calls. 

If you’ve ported in your number recently from another Carrier, then contact your new service provider as there might have been an issue with your port. If you haven’t ported your number recently continue below.

Make sure the Do Not Disturb feature isn’t active as this directs all calls to voicemail. To turn it off, go to Settings > Do Not Disturb. Make sure “Manual” and “Scheduled” are off. 

If Do Not Disturb is off, make sure the numbers you cant receive calls from aren’t blocked by checking your block list in Settings > Phone > Call Blocking & Identification

If your Do not Disturb is already off and there are no numbers in your Block list, the next step is to Reset your network settings

Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

If that didn’t fix the issue and you can place calls but still can’t receive them, you will have to perform a backup/restore of your device.

If the issue isn’t solved after a backup/restore, contact your network provider to make sure there are no issues with routing calls to your iPhone 8.

I can understand the frustration. This sounds a lot like some recently reported issues with people who pick phone numbers in the newest area codes. (ie 236 and 672 in BC, and 365 in GTA) Also calls from land lines within the same city being flagged as long distance. (ie Oakville ON). Some have also found authentication providers also don't recognize these new area codes to send text messages to (ie banks, google).

In theory if any of this resembles your issue, it would affect any Telus, Koodo, or Public mobile subscriber with a phone number in your area code+prefix as it is a routing issue with the land line provider's call routing, and the problem should be reported to them.

Vancouver1

Hi, I did not port a number and have been a customer for 5 months. This has been an ongoing problem and I am in touch with the moderator to try to resolve it. Taking the SIM out and restarting the phone did not resolve the issue. Best

What happens when someone calls you? Do they get your voicemail, or some other problem message?

If it goes to public mobile voicemail, your phone might be in some kind of do-not-disturb mode.

If the caller gets some other kind of problem message, a moderator may need to check, as previously mentioned.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It appears the port may not be complete as of yet. Porting can take several hours or into next day, from my experience. Insert previous sim card until port is complete. When sim card stops working, remove it and enter PM sim. The port should now be complete.

@Vancouver1 Turn on airplane mode, wait 15 sec and turn it on again, restart phone, check to see if you have block unknown callers set, send a ticket to @CS_Agent.

To contact a moderator, create a support ticket:
Explain your issue to SIMON, seen below:simon.PNG

Use as few words as possible to allow the BOT to understand (e.g. no service, can't send texts, can't call out or no data). Answer Simon's questions until you get here:

Spoiler
supportticket.png

@CS_Agent will respond to your concern through the community's private messaging system, usually within 48 hours.

Watch for this indicator of a private message from a moderator.

privatemsg.png

Alternatively, you may send a private message to moderator through the following link :
Contact @Moderator_Team

About @Moderator_Team
Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday: 8AM- 12AM EST; Saturday & Sunday: 8AM-10PM EST

Vancouver1

I did not port my previous number. The SIMON question thing is useless. I can't get anywhere with its suggestions. 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Did you port a number? Restarted the phone? The best thing would be to contact a moderator using Simon (the ?tionmark ). Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one .

@Vancouver1 wrote:

I have an iPhone 8 Plus and installed the SIM card and started using my phone. I can send and receive texts and I can send and receive calls from other mobile phone. I can call landlines. All my data services work. 

I cannot receive calls from landlines and this is becoming a serious problem. I have taken the SIM card out and re-inserted it. 

I desperately need this fixed. 

Best, Vancouver1

@Vancouver1 By any chance, did you ask for a phone number to be ported in? Are you a new customer?

Need Help? Let's chat.