cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make local calls

iM4iZE
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

First time posting to the PM forum. I'm having trouble making any outbound calls, even to local numbers. I consistently get a message saying: "Sorry, we cannot complete your call. You don't have an active long distance add-on and this call is not covered by your plan.".

I still have money in my account. I have the plan that includes 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited Incoming. As far I as I can tell, this issue first started yesterday. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sharon8 : Then perhaps you've used up your minutes. If you don't see a minutes counter on your overview page then you've used them. The $5 Canada add-on is a terrific add-on for the limited minute(s) plan(s).

Sharon8

I switched to the $15.00 plan a few weeks ago

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sharon8 : Are you possibly on an old provincial plan? Or are you on the $15 plan?

Sharon8

Allison83

It's my kids phone and he doesn't use it unless i call him to say i will be late to pick him up. i looked in usage history. 

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Allison83 wrote:

Hi! Tried restarting and then took out battery and replaced... will try the other suggestions. Did submit a ticket and they said the problem was that I was out of minutes, but I had not even used a total of 5 minutes that cycle... 

Will try your other suggestions, thanks!

Incoming calls don't work either? So, you have $10 plan that includes 50 minutes?  50 minutes isn't many minutes. If it's the $10 plan, incomng calls count too.  Calling voicemail also counts. Call are rounded up and ring time is part of the calculation when you make a call.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Allison83 wrote:

Hi! Tried restarting and then took out battery and replaced... will try the other suggestions. Did submit a ticket and they said the problem was that I was out of minutes, but I had not even used a total of 5 minutes that cycle... 

Where are you seeing the 5 minutes? Do you see the line in your data & add-ons area showing your 100 minutes counter? If not then you've used them. Minutes are also consumed calling your voicemail from your phone.

In your Plan Details do you see that it says unlimited incoming?

@Allison83...

log into your account My Data and Add-ons to see what plan you have AND if you have any talk minutes left.

If you're on a plan with limited calling minutes...consider getting the 500 minutes of Canada wide calling add-on for $5. Any unused minutes at renewal will roll over until you've used up all 500 minutes.

Allison83

Allison83

It was saying that my plan is not authorized to make long distance calls. 

Try rebooting your phone.  Also try making your phone lost in your self serve account and wait 5 minutes then mark it found.  If ou have another phone then try swapping the sim. If you still  need assistance then submit a ticket to a moderator by clicking on the question mark on the bottom right corner.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Allison83 What's the error message she you make a call and what happens when someone calls you?

@Allison83 wrote:

Same issue here- still have minutes, I've tried adding one in front of the number. It is not just outbound calls it is inbound calls as well.

Here’s how to contact the Moderator Team (Public Mobile representative) for assistance:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Allison83

Same issue here- still have minutes, I've tried adding one in front of the number. It is not just outbound calls it is inbound calls as well.

@Bananaman2009  you sometimes get that message when you dial a wrong number.  Try adding a 1 in front of the number and add it to all the ones in your contact list.  Welcome to the community.  Stay safe.  

@Bananaman2009 wrote:

I have unlimited calling and i still can't make outbound calls to local numbers. Same message that I don't have a long distance add-on. I'm not calling long distance .

Try dialing a 1 ahead of the phone number. If the call goes through..there are no long distance charges with Public Mobile.

Let us know if it still doesn't go through.

Bananaman2009

I have unlimited calling and i still can't make outbound calls to local numbers. Same message that I don't have a long distance add-on. I'm not calling long distance .

iM4iZE

Ah, that must be it! I don't see any mention of "X / 100 Min" on my self-serve overview page, so I guess as you mention, I must've simply used up my minutes for the month. I wish the overview page still displayed "0 / 100 Min" somewhere to make this clearer. Also, the message on the phone re: long-distance add-on seems a little misleading as the issue seems to be me simply running out of minutes for the month.

Anyhow, thanks so much for clarifying, at least I understand the problem now. Cheers! 

No @iM4iZE You aren't charged by the minute here. The just means that you have $2 in available funds to buy an addon, or pay for your plan. Your minutes if still there should look like xxx/ 100 minutes on your overview page. If it isn't there, its all used up for the month. Read the guide on how to add an add on that I gave you in my original post to buy the $5, 500 minutes addon.

iM4iZE

Thanks for the quick reply. My account says that I currently have available funds of $2. I'm assuming that means I should still technically have minutes right?

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Can you login to your selfserve https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca  and check how many minutes you still have?

If you are out y can either buy add-on (500 minutes for $5) or if you are in autopay you can install hangouts dialer set your outbound hangouts number to be your public mobile number and call for free USA and Canada.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@iM4iZE  could you please check to see if you have run out of minutes? If you have, the 500 minutes $5 Canada wide add on can be purchased. It doesnot expire and stays on your plan until its used up. Use this article to see how to buy an addon.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/purchase-add-ons-using-your-self-serve-account

Need Help? Let's chat.