cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make calls, receive texts in US

whale66
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just signed up with this service & was told I was able to use it in the US. The plan I chose was $40 for unlimited international text & talk in Canada/US as I will be in the US for 2 weeks. I arrived yesterday & couldn’t text or call, when I text I’m getting a message from 611 saying: 

Sorry, your current plan does not include US Roaming text messaging. To update your plan to include US Roaming texting visit publicmobile.ca/selfserve

When I arrived at my condo, I connected to their wifi I logged into my account & added the US roaming 1GB add on for $20 thinking it would resolve the issue but it didn’t AND I really didn’t need roaming yet so I’m not happy about having to activate it for 10 days prior to needing it. 

Im using an iPhone X & when I activated my account/SIM, I got the message about the APN settings: Cellular Data APN should be "sp.mb.com" but mine is showing "imp.mb.com" (assuming it’s because it’s an iPhone?). I also couldn’t find the LTE Setup on the iPhone X to check the APN settings for MMS. I went to the local store & was told apple did everything automatically & was assured it would all work in the US. 

Data roaming is turned on, I’m receiving some texts but not able to answer, some look like they went through but the recipient told me they didn’t receive them & other times I get a text from 611 right after I hit send. When I try to call anyone (using 1+area code+number) I’m getting a message saying “your call can not be completed because your plan doesn’t include a US roaming add on” which it DOES & I’m SUPPOSED to having calling in Canada & US with my base plan. If I try to call my cell it just gives a fast busy signal. 

Needless to say this is very inconvenient & I’m not very happy that I’m having to try to fix this my first day here. I’d appreciate some help/advice as I need this resolved ASAP. 

53 REPLIES 53

U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle
Unlimited Talk, International Text and 250MB Data for just $20 for 10 days.

U.S. Talk and Text Bundle
Unlimited Talk and International Text for just $15 for 10 days.

U.S. Talk Only
Unlimited Talk for just $8 for 10 days.

U.S. Text Only
Unlimited International Text for just $8 for 10 days.

whale66

Question - you said I can get a talk/text add on for 10 days for $8 - do you mean each?The only bundle I see is $15? So I can do unlimited calls for $8 & unlimited texts for $8 ($16 total) or $15 for the bundle. Is this correct? I’ve already added the $20 1GB data bundle (unecessarily but I have it). I just want to make sure I’m using the correct add on option before I spend more money. 

@whale66 wrote:

Thank you! I only travel to the US once a year (sometimes twice) but I may still look into that. I actually didn’t know about the community until last night when the local guy I was dealing with basically told me he can’t help me & said to post in here. I spoke to him about plans before buying the SIM & told him about my travel plans & purchased the plan he told me would work. 

Take care. If you want more info regarding details of that plan click here.

whale66

Thank you! I only travel to the US once a year (sometimes twice) but I may still look into that. I actually didn’t know about the community until last night when the local guy I was dealing with basically told me he can’t help me & said to post in here. I spoke to him about plans before buying the SIM & told him about my travel plans & purchased the plan he told me would work. 

@whale66 wrote:

I dealt directly with the owner of the store Friday & all day yesterday. He suggested I post in here & I think I’ve received the answer but i don’t understand why/how he didn’t know this as I took a screenshot of my plan. His response to me this morning was this: “This is not a phone issue it’s a public mobile problem and we can’t fix it”. Thank you all for your assistance, I appreciate it & apologize if my anger/frustration came across as directed at you, that was not my intention! At the end of the day I choose public mobile because of the pricing but, because I was misinforned by this individual, I’m paying a lot more than I needed to if I had been properly advised. Thanks again everyone. 

Understood. If you had known to consult the community I think the results would have been a little different Smiley Happy If you travel a lot to the US you might want to consider purchasing an ATT prepaid plan that includes unlimited talk/text US, Mexico and Canada including roaming in all three countries  and 16GB LTE Data for $40.00 USD.

whale66

I dealt directly with the owner of the store Friday & all day yesterday. He suggested I post in here & I think I’ve received the answer but i don’t understand why/how he didn’t know this as I took a screenshot of my plan. His response to me this morning was this: “This is not a phone issue it’s a public mobile problem and we can’t fix it”. Thank you all for your assistance, I appreciate it & apologize if my anger/frustration came across as directed at you, that was not my intention! At the end of the day I choose public mobile because of the pricing but, because I was misinforned by this individual, I’m paying a lot more than I needed to if I had been properly advised. Thanks again everyone. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@whale66 

And just to add to make sure...do you see the data add-on lower down on your overview page? Or do you still see at least the amount you put in in your Available Funds?

Also, as you've discovered, you can receive texts and calls while in the states without roaming. You need roaming to send and call out.

@whale66, so far, everyone in this thread are customers just like you.

We're trying to assist you, so please take it easy, and try to accept we're not blaming you, and we are giving you suggestions to get your service working.

You've stated in your original post, you've purchased the data roaming package, as advised, you'll need to purchase the US talk and txt add-ons to use talk and txt in the US.

These plans will expire at the end of 10-days, so you will need to repurchase them on day 11.  If you purchase them today, this is day 1.

I am sorry you were informed mistakenly about the way this plan would work for you while in the US.  There are no Public Mobile employees at the retail locations, they are either 3rd party reps in Walmart stores, or employees of the other retailers such as K-Mobile, The Mobile Shop, Wow Wireless, and London Drugs.

@whale66 wrote:

I didn’t pick the wrong add-on, I was misinformed at the store. I was told international texting & Canada/US calling worked in the US, was not told that plan is for calls/texts ORIGINATING in Canada (as someone pointed out). I would have chosen a cheaper plan & done the US add ones IF I had been given the correct info. That’s my issue. At this point it is what it is so I’ll have to absorb the additional costs & do add ons for the next 18 days not to mention the inconvenience if this not working & having to spend the last 24 hours troubleshooting. 

@whale66: I understand your frustration. It is obvious you were misinformed at the store and that is were you need to direct your complaint. Please understand that the store is not owned by Public Mobile and the person that advised you is not a Public Mobile employee. It is the store's responsibility to train their employees so that they provide their clients with accurate information.

whale66

I didn’t pick the wrong add-on, I was misinformed at the store. I was told international texting & Canada/US calling worked in the US, was not told that plan is for calls/texts ORIGINATING in Canada (as someone pointed out). I would have chosen a cheaper plan & done the US add ones IF I had been given the correct info. That’s my issue. At this point it is what it is so I’ll have to absorb the additional costs & do add ons for the next 18 days not to mention the inconvenience if this not working & having to spend the last 24 hours troubleshooting. 

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@whale66 wrote:

I just signed up with this service & was told I was able to use it in the US. The plan I chose was $40 for unlimited international text & talk in Canada/US as I will be in the US for 2 weeks. I arrived yesterday & couldn’t text or call, when I text I’m getting a message from 611 saying: 

Sorry, your current plan does not include US Roaming text messaging. To update your plan to include US Roaming texting visit publicmobile.ca/selfserve

When I arrived at my condo, I connected to their wifi I logged into my account & added the US roaming 1GB add on for $20 thinking it would resolve the issue but it didn’t AND I really didn’t need roaming yet so I’m not happy about having to activate it for 10 days prior to needing it. 

Im using an iPhone X & when I activated my account/SIM, I got the message about the APN settings: Cellular Data APN should be "sp.mb.com" but mine is showing "imp.mb.com" (assuming it’s because it’s an iPhone?). I also couldn’t find the LTE Setup on the iPhone X to check the APN settings for MMS. I went to the local store & was told apple did everything automatically & was assured it would all work in the US. 

Data roaming is turned on, I’m receiving some texts but not able to answer, some look like they went through but the recipient told me they didn’t receive them & other times I get a text from 611 right after I hit send. When I try to call anyone (using 1+area code+number) I’m getting a message saying “your call can not be completed because your plan doesn’t include a US roaming add on” which it DOES & I’m SUPPOSED to having calling in Canada & US with my base plan. If I try to call my cell it just gives a fast busy signal. 

Needless to say this is very inconvenient & I’m not very happy that I’m having to try to fix this my first day here. I’d appreciate some help/advice as I need this resolved ASAP. 

$20 for US roaming 1GB is for US data only, but not for talking and texting. You picked the wrong add on. There’s $20 / 10 days for US unlimited talk, text and 250mb data bundle .

@whale66, if you're going to add any US roaming at this point, only add the talk and txt (I think there is a combo), I do not us roaming add-ons, as I rarely travel to the US.

Make sure you're not adding the 200 or 400-minute options for Canada/US calling, as the are for IN Canada use only.

momof4

You added the 1GB roam data.. this does not include talk or text messages (non imessages). You have to add the package for US talk, text and data to allow it to work. To my knowledge there are no US monthly packages, just the add-ons. 

whale66

Sounds good in theory but I’ve already spent $60 with public mobile so I’d have to buy a SIM here & another package? I moved to this company because it was cheaper. Sounds like I was misinformed at the store I went to & on top of the $40 base plan AND $20 US roaming, I have to add the US talk/text for $8....so I’m 4 days into the plan & at $68 & counting. Like I said, I would have put on a much cheaper base plan considering I’m only in Canada for 10 of the 30 days & then did the US add-ons. Some training/info wouldn’t go astray at the store I visited. Puts a bad taste in my mouth honestly but you’ve all been very helpful!

whale66

“It” is calling/texting

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@whale66  why not get a local sim it might be more simpler. And at the same time forward your calls to a fongo.com account.

You will need to renew your addons once working every 11 days 

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@whale66 wrote:

I added the data roaming add on yesterday & have restarted several times & it’s still not working. 

What is "it"?  Data should be working with that add-on.  Talk and text won't, until you have a roaming add-on for these.  iMessage should work, however, now that you have a data roaming add-on...

@whale66 wrote:

I just used the robot chat feature & it told me to download an APN profile from unlockit.co.nz which I did & it’s still not working.

I would recommend deleting the profile (see this post for details), as it's not needed for the iPhone X (installing that APN profile is only required an iPhone running an iOS lower than 9...).  The file being there shouldn't hurt, but it's not necessary and may obfuscate other issues.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@whale66 wrote:

Im using an iPhone X

Cellular Data APN should be "sp.mb.com" but mine is showing "imp.mb.com" (assuming it’s because it’s an iPhone?). I also couldn’t find the LTE Setup on the iPhone X to check the APN settings for MMS.

@whale66, what you're seeing is probably the Personal Hotspot APN, which is not relevant here (and I'm not sure how yours was set, but I've never seen imp.mb.com before, so my guess is that it was manually typed (incorrectly) at some point).  For more info, have a look at this post.

@whale66 wrote:

I also couldn’t find the LTE Setup on the iPhone X to check the APN settings for MMS.

If you really want to check that your APN is correctly set (and that you're getting an IP address, required for cellular data to work), have a look at this post, specifically at method #2.  You won't specifically see settings for the MMS APN or MMS proxy URL -- those are set in the carrier profile, and should already be correct.

lheintzman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@whale66

Sorry ,it does appear that you were misinformed. But you can get a talk /text add - on, providing 10 days roaming for 8 bucks. Agreed that koodo's easy roan is a lot more convenient. But the monthly fees for regular service can be quite a bit higher.  Depends on how much time you spend on the States. 

whale66

Thank you. Not too happy about this as I was told in person that plan was international texts AND Canada/US calling. I added the data roaming add on yesterday & have restarted several times & it’s still not working. I just used the robot chat feature & it told me to download an APN profile from unlockit.co.nz which I did & it’s still not working. My APN is correct but I can’t find the APN for MMSC & MMS proxy settings. This is so frustrating, I’m honestly wishing I had gone with Koodo or something for my travel. So are you telling me that on top of the $40 plan I set up, and the $20 1GB US Roaming add on, I also have to add on US calling & texting? If I had been told that, I would have chosen a cheaper base plan as I am away for almost 3 of the 4 weeks it is in effect. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@whale66, you were informed incorrectly, your plan does not include the US Roaming.  You will need to use the addons that you've already found and are attempting to use.

If you haven't yet, restart your phone to see if the connection will fix itself.

Also, please ensure via WiFi, your Carrier settings are up to date, and the APN value should be either sp.mb.com or isp.mb.com

@CalgaryBen is an expert in the community when dealing with iPhone issues.  I've tagged him for any further suggestions, as I'm more familiar with Android.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@whale66The Canada/US calling/texting is only for within Canada, not from the US. You will need to purchase an addon to make calls/texts from the US.

To buy an addon add the funds to your account to cover the cost then select the addon to buy.

lheintzman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The US./Canada plan refers to calls that ORIGINATE in Canada. There are no base plans that provide US roaming ; for that rule have to buy an add-on  

The 1gb data add-on might work with a VOIP service like Fongo but I don't think it can do much for cellular phone calls  Looks like your APN needs editing.Since iPhones are outside my wheelhouse there are others who can provide better help with that. 

Need Help? Let's chat.