cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Unable to make calls, receive texts in US

I just signed up with this service & was told I was able to use it in the US. The plan I chose was $40 for unlimited international text & talk in Canada/US as I will be in the US for 2 weeks. I arrived yesterday & couldn’t text or call, when I text I’m getting a message from 611 saying: 

Sorry, your current plan does not include US Roaming text messaging. To update your plan to include US Roaming texting visit publicmobile.ca/selfserve

When I arrived at my condo, I connected to their wifi I logged into my account & added the US roaming 1GB add on for $20 thinking it would resolve the issue but it didn’t AND I really didn’t need roaming yet so I’m not happy about having to activate it for 10 days prior to needing it. 

Im using an iPhone X & when I activated my account/SIM, I got the message about the APN settings: Cellular Data APN should be "sp.mb.com" but mine is showing "imp.mb.com" (assuming it’s because it’s an iPhone?). I also couldn’t find the LTE Setup on the iPhone X to check the APN settings for MMS. I went to the local store & was told apple did everything automatically & was assured it would all work in the US. 

Data roaming is turned on, I’m receiving some texts but not able to answer, some look like they went through but the recipient told me they didn’t receive them & other times I get a text from 611 right after I hit send. When I try to call anyone (using 1+area code+number) I’m getting a message saying “your call can not be completed because your plan doesn’t include a US roaming add on” which it DOES & I’m SUPPOSED to having calling in Canada & US with my base plan. If I try to call my cell it just gives a fast busy signal. 

Needless to say this is very inconvenient & I’m not very happy that I’m having to try to fix this my first day here. I’d appreciate some help/advice as I need this resolved ASAP. 

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Unable to make calls, receive texts in US

The US./Canada plan refers to calls that ORIGINATE in Canada. There are no base plans that provide US roaming ; for that rule have to buy an add-on  

The 1gb data add-on might work with a VOIP service like Fongo but I don't think it can do much for cellular phone calls  Looks like your APN needs editing.Since iPhones are outside my wheelhouse there are others who can provide better help with that. 

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@whale66The Canada/US calling/texting is only for within Canada, not from the US. You will need to purchase an addon to make calls/texts from the US.

To buy an addon add the funds to your account to cover the cost then select the addon to buy.

@whale66, you were informed incorrectly, your plan does not include the US Roaming.  You will need to use the addons that you've already found and are attempting to use.

If you haven't yet, restart your phone to see if the connection will fix itself.

Also, please ensure via WiFi, your Carrier settings are up to date, and the APN value should be either sp.mb.com or isp.mb.com

@CalgaryBen is an expert in the community when dealing with iPhone issues.  I've tagged him for any further suggestions, as I'm more familiar with Android.

Thank you. Not too happy about this as I was told in person that plan was international texts AND Canada/US calling. I added the data roaming add on yesterday & have restarted several times & it’s still not working. I just used the robot chat feature & it told me to download an APN profile from unlockit.co.nz which I did & it’s still not working. My APN is correct but I can’t find the APN for MMSC & MMS proxy settings. This is so frustrating, I’m honestly wishing I had gone with Koodo or something for my travel. So are you telling me that on top of the $40 plan I set up, and the $20 1GB US Roaming add on, I also have to add on US calling & texting? If I had been told that, I would have chosen a cheaper base plan as I am away for almost 3 of the 4 weeks it is in effect. 

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@whale66

Sorry ,it does appear that you were misinformed. But you can get a talk /text add - on, providing 10 days roaming for 8 bucks. Agreed that koodo's easy roan is a lot more convenient. But the monthly fees for regular service can be quite a bit higher.  Depends on how much time you spend on the States. 

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@whale66 wrote:

Im using an iPhone X

Cellular Data APN should be "sp.mb.com" but mine is showing "imp.mb.com" (assuming it’s because it’s an iPhone?). I also couldn’t find the LTE Setup on the iPhone X to check the APN settings for MMS.

@whale66, what you're seeing is probably the Personal Hotspot APN, which is not relevant here (and I'm not sure how yours was set, but I've never seen imp.mb.com before, so my guess is that it was manually typed (incorrectly) at some point).  For more info, have a look at this post.

@whale66 wrote:

I also couldn’t find the LTE Setup on the iPhone X to check the APN settings for MMS.

If you really want to check that your APN is correctly set (and that you're getting an IP address, required for cellular data to work), have a look at this post, specifically at method #2.  You won't specifically see settings for the MMS APN or MMS proxy URL -- those are set in the carrier profile, and should already be correct.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@whale66 wrote:

I added the data roaming add on yesterday & have restarted several times & it’s still not working. 

What is "it"?  Data should be working with that add-on.  Talk and text won't, until you have a roaming add-on for these.  iMessage should work, however, now that you have a data roaming add-on...

@whale66 wrote:

I just used the robot chat feature & it told me to download an APN profile from unlockit.co.nz which I did & it’s still not working.

I would recommend deleting the profile (see this post for details), as it's not needed for the iPhone X (installing that APN profile is only required an iPhone running an iOS lower than 9...).  The file being there shouldn't hurt, but it's not necessary and may obfuscate other issues.

Oracle

@whale66  why not get a local sim it might be more simpler. And at the same time forward your calls to a fongo.com account.

You will need to renew your addons once working every 11 days 

“It” is calling/texting