Un-able to make voice calls "Plan does not include voice option"

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

22 REPLIES 22

BEER

Thanks - will try to do as you advise.

@BEER 

Easy fix for the voicemail problem now that they fixed the side effect to this solution (coincidentally the 2 month wait for a fix). Log in. Report phone lost. Log out. Wait 5 min. Log in. Report found. Log out. Reboot. Fixed!

BEER

@BEER 

If you experience this problem on a regular basis since the time you joined and it is not the result of a misdialed number, long distance that you don't have an add on for, forgetting to put a (1) before the number or running out of outgoing minutes then that is not normal. It is common after a new activation for the first month then it usually goes away....apparently not for you.

Contact the moderators and ask that they create a ticket for the tech team to look into your account. With reduced hours and a lower priority expect to wait a month or longer for a result from the investigation and a solution. I have waited 2 months for a solution to an unusual account issue under normal working conditions.....so pack your patience but they will likely solve the issue for you given time. Report back their findings and solution.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@BEER this shouldn't be a compromise you should accept I'll pm you and try to help you with your situation. 

BEER

PM recording advises my plan does not include voice minutes.

This is a very common problem when attempting to make voice calls. I and others have mentioned this several times on different posts but as always we get the exact same responses, with simple advise as if we are idiots.  This unsolved problems fault is Public Mobile's. The fact that it happens to many users coupled with also the fact that the pre-recorded message we get is from Public Mobile proves that. ***********I have learned to live with this annoying problem by just attempting the call several times and then usually after the second and sometimes the third try the voice call does connect.************

Calling our well meaning moderators does not help because they are just not equipped to make changes to PM software.

BEER

As I explained - after several attempts PM voice calls do eventually work. Since this has happened to me several times I know the drill and for me it's no big deal and the inconvenience is justified because of the extremely low PM plan costs. 

*****By the way I just noticed that they removed the "spell check feature".

BEER

Yup --- the way you now explained the situation -- justifies your 911 call.

BEER

I understand what you are saying but our plans have plenty of un-used voice minutes - Most persons , myself included, mostly text and seldom use voice calls and therefore don't regularly encounter this problem ------- but definitely it is a problem. The fact that we do get pre-recorded messages from Public Mobile advising that their records show that we are not on a voice plan when in fact we are and having lots of un-used minutes, proves that it is in fact a glitch with PM.  

BEER

Plan has plenty of un-used voice minutes.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar wrote:

If you're out of minutes, you can still call any toll free number (1800, 833,844,855,866,877,888). Keep a toll free roadside assitance number handy in your car.

You can also call *222 to reach your local CAA for roadside assistance, and this also does not consume minutes, and will work if you are out of minutes.

This leaves many options available before you have to resort to using 911.

Of course it's still always best to ensure you have enough minutes in the first place before making such a trip.

@Nezgar   Thanks, I never knew that you can still make calls to toll free numbers as well.  That's really useful to know, although I agree you should definitely make sure you have more than enough mins available if going on any long distance trips.  But sometimes people get too busy and mess up too 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Naepalm 

You said "broke down". That ain't no 911 emergency. Car on fire sure.

There aren't marauding bands of killers behind every tree. Find a house. Find a payphone. Hitch hike. Wait for a car. Walk.

My, however on earth did people get by before cell phones. My goodness. Oh the humanity.

Your over-reaction is also entertaining.

If you're out of minutes, you can still call any toll free number (1800, 833,844,855,866,877,888). Keep a toll free roadside assitance number handy in your car.

You can also call *222 to reach your local CAA for roadside assistance, and this also does not consume minutes, and will work if you are out of minutes.

This leaves many options available before you have to resort to using 911.

Of course it's still always best to ensure you have enough minutes in the first place before making such a trip.

@Anonymous 

Hopefully, you don't take offence to that you literally made my day!

Thank you! Just thinking of us on the highway got me laughing. 

But absolutely you are entitled to say that it was a bad use of 911 resources. 

As I circle back though, if you have an emergency you can call 911. 🙂

If you are on 15 plan and find yourself out of minutes you can still send sms 'pls call me back' 

@Anonymous wrote:

@Naepalm 

You called 911 to get a tow truck?! I don't quite think that's proper. Hello 911? Yeah my night light is out and I keep bumping into things. Click.

Beer has been here a while. He has other beverages on tap too.

(Edit) Not proper? Im not sure what the night light context is either....LOL It wasn't a night light lmao! My car caught fire because of poor wiring...but I suppose next time I'll call you when I am in trouble LOL [or would you just hang up..🤔]

@Anonymous  When you don't have minutes on your phone and you are in the middle of the dark in Ontario, and your phone won't work, but 911 does work, it is your only option. Take a step back and think of the scenario, what would you do sit at the side of the road until morning? Even then where I was traffic is very limited. 

There was literally no gas stations for 190km and no civilization, between Sudbury and Timmins, Gogama is not a nice place to break down.  The call will not take up emergency services, It patches you into dispatch and you can say not an emergency and they move you onto the OPP. 🙂

Have a great day my Z10 friend 🙂 

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@BEER 

One thing I would suggest is to enter all the numbers in the contacts with 1 in front.

If the plan is out of minutes nothing can be done short of making sure add-on is always there.

If plan includes data have fongo hangouts or textnow installed for backup.

If the lines are under lots of traffic and you get 8ut messages, all providers are plagued with that at some point.

Before giving a phone to a minor is good idea to test call w(without actually answering if minutes are measured), this way you know that call can be made and the child has the best number to call right at the top of recent calls.

One more thing texts are unlimited with all plans if nothing else is going through maybe it's worth spending couple of minutes showing them how to use that option too

If calls don't go through after the enjoying message please contact moderators, more people complain about certain issue more resources will be dedicated towards resolving it

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@BEER , harsh words but I will say it.  There is such a thing as personal responsibilities.  The limited usage plans can run out of usage at the worst times.  This has nothing to do with the service provider and everything to do with the user.  It starts with the choice of a limited usage plan, knowing the limitations.  Good topic, but I am not sure how it involves Public Mobile in any way.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Naepalm 

You called 911 to get a tow truck?! I don't quite think that's proper. Hello 911? Yeah my night light is out and I keep bumping into things. Click.

Beer has been here a while. He has other beverages on tap too.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@BEER wrote:

Phones with active plans that do have voice minutes both local and long-distance at times are un-able to make calls and receive recording advising that their plan does not include voice minutes and to call Public Mobile to upgrade. 

I know that this topic has been previously discussed but the problem still very regularly persists and is not only annoying but can also be dangerous. A young member of my family was recently trying to call for assistance and could not make a call out. Fortunately it ws early in the afternoon and a total stranger loaned her his phone to make the call for help. Everything turned out well and the situation was that the car would not start and the reason  turned out to be that it was just out of gas.( Of-course as usual I'm to blame because I didn't fill up the car --Ha..Ha..Ha..)

** This quite regularly happens to me also but from experience I know that I just have to repeat  dialing out several times and usually the call connects after one or two tries.

@BEER first off, geat name! 

If it is an emergency and you have to call911, that service will not shut off, you can pick a phone up off teh ground without cell service and it will be able to hook into 911. I had an issue back in 2004, I know I'm old. Where my friend gave me their cell phone for emergencies. I drove up north my car broke down in the middle of the night. I went to call a tow truck and the phone had run out of minutes. I called 911, asked for dispatch to patch me into a Tow truck and it all went through.

Ok so Short story long, you can still use your phone.

Another option is to use google hangout or at least add it to your phone for such a time as this. You will need a Wifi connection to run it but you can dial phone numbers through google play. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 12.55.02 PM.png

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try dialing 1 + area code + phone#.  Currently with the pandemic it has caused more calls so phone lines can be over capacity.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@BEER If you are on $15 plan, check how many mins are left. If there are none, then have to buy $5 addon with 500mins. If you are on $25 or higher plan, then just add +1 in front of the number you call.

Need Help? Let's chat.