cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA without any addons - Do incoming calls/sms work?

ChowtimeApricot
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have the $15 plan. 100 Minutes, unlimited texting, and 250MB.

If I go to the USA without any addons, will I still be able to recieve incoming calls? What about incoming texts? if neither of these things work, will the other person be notified in any way?

I'm going to the USA next month for a week and I dont need/want to use my phone but I'd like to be able to use it in the case of an emergency.... What do I do? just buy the addon?

With the big providers I believe incoming texts are free?? and as long as you dont answer phone calls, that's free too. if it's urgent or a problem I could always answer the call or reply to the text. I dont think I can do that with PM, can I?

7 REPLIES 7

mohammc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have used the USA roaming addons many times. I managed to overcome this bug by first restarting my iphone. I then went into the Network Selection setting and switched off the "Automatic" selection and then switched it back on, and waited a minute or so. Everything was back to normal after.

ShaunVancouver
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey just a heads up before you get any US roaming addon, when you come back to Canada theres a good chance you're not going to be able to receive any incoming text messages. Its a stupid bug in their system and a lot of people (myself included) are currently dealing with this issue. You'll be able to send outgoing texts but none of the incoming texts will be received and there's no way to know whose texting you. It's a giant pain in the ass and it seems like these messages will be lost forever so if you need to have your phone receive texts I wouldn't get any US roaming addon. Your choice but just wanted to give you a heads up as I wish I knew about this problem beforehand.

ChowtimeApricot

855-478-2542

🙂 Thanks

@ChowtimeApricot wrote:

alright, so if I want a forsure thing I'll just have to get the addon. Thanks.

If I'm in the USA without an addon and away from the internet, is there any way I can use my phone to add the addon or do I have to connect to self service and add it there when I have internet access?

you would need to be on wifi there is also I 1-800 number for when you are traveling in the US I will look for it.  If you have  a credit card registered you may be able to purchase the add-on that way as well

ETA: @ChowtimeApricot  1-855-4Public  1855-478-2542

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ChowtimeApricot

alright, so if I want a forsure thing I'll just have to get the addon. Thanks.

If I'm in the USA without an addon and away from the internet, is there any way I can use my phone to add the addon or do I have to connect to self service and add it there when I have internet access?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChowtimeApricot 

Unofficial and could change at any time but yes...you can receive calls and texts without a roaming add-on.

Use a voip program to call out when connected to wifi. Probably the same program will do texts as well.

What I'm not sure of is how long a received call can be and how many texts can be received.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ChowtimeApricot wrote:

I have the $15 plan. 100 Minutes, unlimited texting, and 250MB.

If I go to the USA without any addons, will I still be able to recieve incoming calls? What about incoming texts? if neither of these things work, will the other person be notified in any way?

I'm going to the USA next month for a week and I dont need/want to use my phone but I'd like to be able to use it in the case of an emergency.... What do I do? just buy the addon?

With the big providers I believe incoming texts are free?? and as long as you dont answer phone calls, that's free too. if it's urgent or a problem I could always answer the call or reply to the text. I dont think I can do that with PM, can I?

The official statement from PM is no you won't receive anything and the sender won't be notified.  Real-life experience is some people have said they have received texts.  I am not sure how if you aren't connected to a network as I haven't been in this situation.  I always get the US roaming add-on

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.