cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA text, calling and data for 12 days

Belivo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Heading to the USA August 15th until the 26-27 and wondering if I should change my plan at my renewal August 8 or just do date and talk/text add on. 

p.s. my Xioami cell can have 2 SIM cards so I might buy a data card in the USA .

8 REPLIES 8

Roam mobility works well. Generous data alotments. I found that their text only or talk+text plans actually allow "unlimited" data, but at ridiculously slow speeds, like 128kbps. But it was good enough to keep email, whatsapp, and maps (barely) working.

It was a nice surprise since I was expecting only conventional texting and NO data, so it's nice they basically acknowledge most people nowadays use data based messaging apps.

ckkong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I bought a US SIM card from Roam Mobility when I was on Koodo. I had to set up the APN setting on my phone in order to use it. They have three different daily plans to choose from. They have calls and text only, calls, text, and data, and text only. Its a lot cheaper than the US plan that Koodo offered. All three are unlimited.

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Belivo wrote:

That is really cool!! I will likely do that and just add a calling plan so I can call Canada .T mobile tourist is 1000 minutes USA calling only .

Very much appreciate your help. Tks

Or another suggestion would be to use the T-Mobile data and download a free VOIP app called Talkatone. Register for a free US or Canadian number(doesn't matter). Using data and the app, call Canada.

Belivo

That is really cool!! I will likely do that and just add a calling plan so I can call Canada .T mobile tourist is 1000 minutes USA calling only .

Very much appreciate your help. Tks

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Belivo wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking the USA calling in build your own plan but that is for when I am home/ in Canada. 

My bad. TKS. 

I will add it when we leave and decide how much wifi access we get. Our house is on the market and don't want to miss sales calls. 

T-mobile's tourist plan sounds like a better deal if you can have multiple sims and you're staying longer than 10 days. It's $30USD for 2GB 4G LTE, 1000 minutes, and unlimited texts that expires in 21 days. The sim in included with the package but you can't renew it or extend it.

They stock them in major airports but you can also buy it from a retailer like best buy.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Belivo, there are a few options to consider and the best choice depends on your current plan.  If it's a good legacy plan, doing a plan change just to save a few bucks might not be worthwhile.  For usage in the US, there's add-on to consider as already mentioned.  There's alternate US carriers like TMobile.  Roam mobility is a Canadian option.  Lots to think about.  The easiest is just to get a add-on and take the worry out of shopping for a cell provider for just 12 days of service.

Belivo

Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking the USA calling in build your own plan but that is for when I am home/ in Canada. 

My bad. TKS. 

I will add it when we leave and decide how much wifi access we get. Our house is on the market and don't want to miss sales calls. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Belivo wrote:

Heading to the USA August 15th until the 26-27 and wondering if I should change my plan at my renewal August 8 or just do date and talk/text add on. 

p.s. my Xioami cell can have 2 SIM cards so I might buy a data card in the USA .

What would you change your plan to?  For your phone to have service in the US you require a Roaming Addon.  Unfortunately they are only 10 days so have to decide if you want to renew or go a few days without

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.