cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA addons

Bj2001
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What's the matter with PM? Time after time after time they have failed to provide the service I've paid for. My account has been charged for the USA addon but 611 tells me that my phone plan doesn't have texting in USA .....such a load of crap. Cheap obviously brings substandard service 

67 REPLIES 67

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bj2001 I'm not sure what your plan with PM includes, but here are some suggested plans to look at:

Telus offer a "Peace of mind" plan with coverage in Canada and the USA, unlimited talk and text, 10GB full-speed LTE data, and unlimtied throttled data afterward.  It's $95 mind you, but you get quite a bit for that.  https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/configure?product=bring-your-own-device&linktype=ge-meganav

Freedom Mobile offer a similar plan but for $85 less and and extra 5GB of non-throttled data:  https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/plans

I didn't find much else.  I thought Rogers and Bell used to offer plans that included US roaming, but I can't find those at the moment.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bj2001 okay you're obviously frustrated.  If PM has let you down multiple times with US roaming and you need it to work, I'm curious, why are you still a customer?  I'm not trying to be snarky, it's a sincere question.  It sounds like you need a service where you can get near-instant help, and this is not the provider for that.  You're not under any contract, and you don't have a hardware purchase tab to worry about paying off.  I honestly think you would be better off to shop around.  

In fact, if you travel frequently to the USA, some/many providers offer plans that include roaming to the US.  You may have to pay a little more for the plan but you won't have to purchase anything else to use in US, and hopefully things "just work" for you with those plans.  I'd highly recommend you do a market survey when you get back to Canada.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Bj2001  can you get exact model number of your phone?

It would be in settings then "about phone"

Is it an LG - V - 20? There is various models. H915, H990N, LS997.etc,etc...if it's a LGV20

Bj2001

Yes i did change the network provider and nada....zip o 

Bj2001

LG20

Nearly 2 days now with no USA addons AND no responses from moderators - PM Sucks

@Bj2001  out of curiosity. What phone do you have? 

Is it an older phone? As it is apparent you have some hardware issues since you mentioned you had trouble posting a screenshot "not enough memory"

Have you considered backing up what you need to save from the phone and doing a complete factory reset? 

I also ask the type of phone you have so we could check if it has the frequency/bands that are supported by ATT and T-Mobile. Many phones don't have all the frequency/bands that are compatible with certain providers which causes issues depending on where they are. Same as on Public Mobile or any company for that matter. Some phones could have certain bands where it will work in Toronto but going up north in the Muskoka area the phone may have issues as it's hardware does not have a certain band that provides a strong signal in that area so they will have little to no reception in that area. Or very spotty reception while another phone next to it will have full bars.

Now I'm not saying that's your issue or even the cause of what you're experiencing with USA roaming add-ons but it could be somewhat of a factor. 

I've used the add-ons a few times on multiple (newer) phones and what you're experiencing I've never encountered. It's always been a seem less process.

Again just asking out of curiosity........

@Bj2001  I don't know who you've spoken to with pm about this ongoing issue but maybe @Tiana_V  when she gets to work will take an interest it helping resolve the issue once and for all. You can always private message her with your concerns.

@Bj2001  You get a mint mobile SIM card. Activate it and put it in your phone. Download the text me app or fongo or one of many. Call forward your pm phone number to the Canadian number you get from the app. Then when anyone calls your pm number your phone rings thru the app while you are on the cheap mobile data mint mobile offers or WiFi. No long distance charges for the people calling you from Canada and it rings to your phone that you are using.  you can chose to give either or both of your numbers to US callers. They won't incur long distance if they are calling your mint mobile number. Now callers from Canada and the US won't incur long distance charges to call you. If you need more data choose the $20/8gb or $25/12gb per month plans from mint mobile. The only extra work you have to do is download the app, pick a Canadian number and call forward your pm number to it. And purchase the mint mobile plan and SIM card (included in the plan price.)

Bj2001

Thanks for ur input, having had this issue multiple times and sending complaints to the CRTC and spoken to 2 managers of PM they seem quite disinterested / unmotivated in fixing it. 

@Bj2001  Looks like the roaming add ons don't work well with your account for some reason. When the moderators finally get in touch with you after 8 am et when they get back to work make sure after they fix the issue you are having that they submit a ticket to the tech team to investigate why they do not work with your account. It will take time but they will investigate and find the issue. I've had weird account issues myself and it finally got the fix this month after three months of renewal issues....it happens if you want less issues pay more with another provider. I think you would be better off having the option of a US sim to use and call forward your pm number to fongo or text me rather than relying on roaming add ons for your needs while in the US since you seem to spend more time there than most.

Bj2001

So when l buy a Mint phone it will have a USA number and so everyone who calls me. from Canada will be charged long distance and how will I let everyone know to call a different number when I'm here and what happens when I return to Canada - too complicated (though I love the prices for Mint - beats anything Canadian) just wish PM would deliver the product l purchased! 

Bj2001

I'll bet if those thousands of people went to the USA they'd be having the same problems and PM would get on and fix it and show they are a credible company. I've had a  PM's manager call me and he had the audacity to recommend switching to Koodoo - shows his confidence and pride in this company. 

Bj2001

No l had problems with them too, and PM continues to suck at fixing it.... PS: still no contact from moderators! They (PM) don't care

@Bj2001  You seem to travel/work in the US quite often perhaps going forward you should consider a few other options. Mint mobile has very affordable 3 month plans starting at $15 per month ($45 total) with unlimited Canada/US/Mexico calling and texting and 3gb of data. This is a much cheaper option than public mobiles roaming add ons and with the correct text/calling app you could forward your public mobile number to the app. This would allow you to have a US number but still have your public mobile number on the same phone. Or of couse you could the next time your looking to purchase a new phone get a dual sim phone allowing you to have two separate sims in your phone for ease of transition when traveling to different countries.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 wrote:

@Anonymous  🤣 you just ninja'd me had to erase my message.

Asked him that (switching networks) very first post of this thread. 6 pages later never of a confirmation if he tried or not 

Cuz we were all focused on gathering facts while the OP was having a good ol' rant.

We'll see what he might come back with.

@Anonymous  🤣 you just ninja'd me had to erase my message.

Asked him that (switching networks) very first post of this thread. 6 pages later never a confirmation if he tried or not 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bj2001 

Great workaround.

There we go.

So...can you manually scan for networks and pick either T-Mobile or AT&T. If still not working then try the other.

Maybe you're attached to one of them but they happen to be weak where you are.

Edit: ninja'd by 1 finger typing.

Edit again: that and the very first reply to the thread! Sorry to repeat.

@Bj2001  so did everything work fine on your USA add-ons on Feb 14th and 25th?

Just the march 7 you're having issues with?

Have you tried to manually switch the network connection from ATT to T-Mobile or vice versa?

Bj2001

15837269430151365085621.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bj2001 

Well many tens of thousands of contented customers would have a different view.

But if and when a problem arises and a customer comes here then we can help, as far as we can, if the customer would help us help them.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Seems rather frequent that customers seeking help have been rather combative lately, cooler heads always prevail, we are all fellow users here, patience and kindness go a long way.

Bj2001

No there aren't any mesages in the mail icon, but like every other time it will be 4-5 days yes 4 to 6 days for them to sort it so do l have reason to be frustrated yes, can u convince me that PM is a credible company NOOOOOO

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're aware that we're grasping for workarounds to help you solve the problem right? The moderators seem to be backlogged as they haven't apparently got back to you yet. Speaking of that...do you not see any blob with a number above the little envelope icon to the upper right of this window?

Did you have a look to see if you can store pictures elsewhere on your phone (if available)?

Can you look under Plan Details and report back any and all of the US Roaming items in there?

@Bj2001 wrote:

Ur joking? Borrowing someone else's phone is one thing

Changing sim cards I don't think so

@Bj2001  no worries..just curious to see considering your phone has some hardware issues "not enough memory when trying to post screenshot"

But as mentioned.. download TEXTNOW app...call your cellphone number,..when your voicemail starts playing press STAR button * then enter your password. You'll be able to listen to them...many on the $15 plan do this to save their 100 outgoing minutes..

Bj2001

Ur joking? Borrowing someone else's phone is one thing

Changing sim cards I don't think so

@Bj2001 wrote:

I had to borrow another phone to login and post

And in regards. - what a hassle and embarressing. Then you as PM's advocate suggests using someone else's phone (and paying them for the long distance) to call my voicemail when I've already paid for a telephone plan and a USA add-on takes PM to an even lower level of credibility

@Bj2001 .... download TEXTNOW app on your phone..call your voicemail for free over wifi.

Speaking of the other person's phone...since your phone had problems posting a screenshot.."not enough memory"..

If their phone is unlocked...why not try putting your sim card in their phone and see if your USA roaming add-on works..

Bj2001

I had to borrow another phone to login and post

And in regards. - what a hassle and embarressing. Then you as PM's advocate suggests using someone else's phone (and paying them for the long distance) to call my voicemail when I've already paid for a telephone plan and a USA add-on takes PM to an even lower level of credibility

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bj2001 

That's a great start.

Now how about 30 days?

Then your overview page. Then your Plan Details.

Bj2001

Screenshot_2020-03-08-20-21-22.png

Need Help? Let's chat.