cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA Talk and Text addon- can you call within USA and to Canada?

Redfisher
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Going to Arizona for 2 months.  Wondering if the "USA Talk and Text" addon for $15 for 10 days will allow me to make calls in both the USA and back to Canada?

I currently use the $25 plan on autopay and think I could drop down to the $15 plan and addon 6 of the "USA Talk and Text" over the next 2 months.

If this is doable I am not certain if I order a number of the addons that the account is smart enough to put them together one after the other or if I can only do these 1 each every 10 days.

Looking for a responce from someone who has actaully done this.  thanks  

11 REPLIES 11

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Redfisher yes that add-on would do exactly what you want, able to call and text while you're in Arizona.  Unfortunately you can only apply one of those add-ons at a time so you can't pile it on and expect the system to move from one add-on to the next.  Ya PM's system is not that sophisticated yet.  So you'll have to add the USA option every 10 days on your own.  Ya it's a bit annoying, not sure why PM doesn't offer a 20 or 30 day add-on.  

@AE_Collector wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Switching your plan to the $15 and using forgo or ...

"Forgo" definitely sounds like the least expensive option of all...

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector   Lol! Arent you the emily post of edit!

@darlicious wrote:

Switching your plan to the $15 and using forgo or ...

"Forgo" definitely sounds like the least expensive option of all...

AE_Collector

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The US add on is perfect for US trip as it's 10 days. Anything longer then that could be expensive. If data isn't needed for the trip then I suggest just buying the talk and text roaming add on. If going for more then a month it's best to get a local prepaid sim as it will be cheaper in the long run.

If you do consider the add-on route do note it's a two step process to purchase add-ons. Guide below!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/td-p/198974

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@RedfisherSwitching your plan to the $15 and using fongo or other internet app as suggested and getting a local sim will be more convenient and less costly. You could also use the extended absence option for your voicemail and leave your US number to call.

There are many options out there but mint mobile might be your best option. With their discounted 3 month new customer options. With free US/Canada/Mexico calling, texting and 3gb/8gb/12gb per month data plans for 3 months. Ranging from $15/$20/$25 p/m or $45/$60/$75 for the 3 months. This will easily cover your 2 month stay. If you get along fine wth pm's $25/1gb plan normally paying $45 US for 3 months and 3gb a month it's a bargain. It will work out to about $20 cdn per month. The same as one 10 day US roaming add on and much more data

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Redfisher  Check Amazon search for prepaid US sim cards you will pleasantly surprised. That would be the better option for a two month period.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Redfisher wrote:

Going to Arizona for 2 months.  Wondering if the "USA Talk and Text" addon for $15 for 10 days will allow me to make calls in both the USA and back to Canada?

I currently use the $25 plan on autopay and think I could drop down to the $15 plan and addon 6 of the "USA Talk and Text" over the next 2 months.

If this is doable I am not certain if I order a number of the addons that the account is smart enough to put them together one after the other or if I can only do these 1 each every 10 days.

As you're going to US for several weeks, consider getting a local sim and a cheap plan to call back and forth.

Alternative is to get a free voip app like TextNow. You'll get a free Cdn phone number and have free talk / text as long as you have a robust wifi signal. Seems like wifi is everywhere nowadays.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@Redfisher wrote:

Yes your plan is doable.

However the US Roaming add-ons are meant for 10 days usage or less.

Once you go into 2 months, it can get a bit complicated or annoying to use.

Edit: Ninja'd so there's no need to add more.

@Redfisher wrote:

Don't try to add 6 of that same roaming add-on at the same time. I'm not so sure it would even allow it, but I've read reports that if the system does allow it, having duplicates makes none of it work. At the very least, if you did that, all 6 roaming add-ons would expire at the same time.

There's also a potential problem that when the roaming add-on expires, the self serve system won't allow you to purchase it again until 24 hours later.

US roaming add-ons that include calls can be used for calls to both Canada and the U.S.

You can change your plan to a lower priced plan since your base plan make no difference when you are roaming. However, if your current plan is no longer offered when you want to switch back, you won't be able to get it back. Also, ensure that you set the system to make an auto-change to occur at the next plan renewal time or else you will lose everything that you've already paid for your plan during that billing cycle.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

yes the addon calls canada and USA (except for a few usa exchanges)

you will need to buy one addon after another and most likley you will have to wait 1 day beween the addon expiring and buying the next addon, thus going 1 day w/o service

if i were you i would get a fongo.com number  forward you pm number to fongo.  and then while in the use get a local sim.  

Need Help? Let's chat.