cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US texting plan using iPhones - can text androids but not can not text to other iPhones on wifi. I

harveyh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We are visiting US. Both my wife and I have a PM US 10 day texting plan. We can text to each other, also to android phones but not to our own iPad on wifi or other iPhones or iPads on wifi. Any thoughts? 
iMessage is off, MMS is on. No option for SMS showing. Cellular data off.

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

@harveyh For your future reference the best messaging setup is: Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & receive: should show your PM phone number and your Apple ID email.

To send iMessages to other phones, iPads, etc. your phone MUST have access to data; cellular or wifi. When using the USA texting add-on ensure your phone has cellular data & roaming ON. You will never be charged by PM for data in the USA, or elsewhere for that matter. Remember PM has NO post usage charges; if you try to use a service without first buying it just will not function.

Also, turn wifi ON so that you can send "pure" iMessages when back at your hotel.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

harveyh

Thanks a bunch for working through with me. Much appreciated.  I will forego the iPad/iPhone texting at this time.   

@harveyh wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@harveyh wrote:

I believe that @will13am  is correct, it is not possible to text to iPhones and iPad that have iMessage turned on.

Hm, if this is a confirmed fact, it could explain some things with  a particular aquantance's communications patterns...

@harveyh wrote:

Must use another texting program for that to happen on all platforms.

Thoughts?  Thanks again

WhatsApp has been very solid for me with friends all over the world on all kinds of devices running on different versions of iOS, Android and Windows OS.

When I looked up WhatsApp online, it said it required wifi or data to send and receive. If this is true is there on that I can use on my iPhones that would be similar but not use data or wifi? 

Cross platform / OS messenger apps work over a data type connection independent of the SMS protocol which, extremely simplified speaking, uses the same kind of connection as a call would.

So, I guess it comes down to either finding a way to make SMS work with iMessage OR using data / WiFi for a messenger app like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, etc.

harveyh

@wetcoaster wrote:

@harveyh wrote:

I believe that @will13am  is correct, it is not possible to text to iPhones and iPad that have iMessage turned on.

Hm, if this is a confirmed fact, it could explain some things with  a particular aquantance's communications patterns...

@harveyh wrote:

Thoughts?  Thanks again

WhatsApp has been very solid for me with friends all over the world on all kinds of devices running on different versions of iOS, Android and Windows OS.

When I looked up WhatsApp online, it said it required wifi or data to send and receive. If this is true is there on that I can use on my iPhones that would be similar but not use data or wifi? 

@harveyh wrote:

@harveyh wrote:

Thoughts?  Thanks again

harveyh

@will13am wrote:

@harveyh , you mentioned in the OP that mobile data was turned off.  You can't send MMS with mobile data turned off.  MMS is sent via mobile data only through a proxy server designed for MMS only.  My suggestion is to wean off of SMS and MMS.  Switch to using apps like WhatsApp, telegram, signal which are connection (mobile or WiFi), platform (iOS or android) and hardware (phone, b tablet, computer) independent.  

Thanks for all of the interest and possible solutions. This morning I did some tests myself to see if some of the solutions worked.

My goal first to be able to text using only US texting package, no wifi and without purchasing data. I am in Hawaii for 5 weeks. Also to be able to first text my wife from non-wifi services areas. (She also has the same US texting package in an iPhone same as mine. 
We have been able to do that. We have been also able to text non Apple devices without issue. Secondly we would like to be able to text other iPhones / iPads on wifi or data plans back home.  

With the tests that I have done with wifi off, no thing will go through with iMessage on. Regardless of MMS on or off. Next with iMessage off, wifi off and MMS both OFF and ON I have been able to send and receive to my wife's iPhone. 

I believe that @will13am  is correct, it is not possible to text to iPhones and iPad that have iMessage turned on. Must use another texting program for that to happen on all platforms.

Thoughts?  Thanks again

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@harveyh , you mentioned in the OP that mobile data was turned off.  You can't send MMS with mobile data turned off.  MMS is sent via mobile data only through a proxy server designed for MMS only.  My suggestion is to wean off of SMS and MMS.  Switch to using apps like WhatsApp, telegram, signal which are connection (mobile or WiFi), platform (iOS or android) and hardware (phone, b tablet, computer) independent.  

@harveyh wrote:

Except the idea is to send texts while traveling without wifi.  It works great without wifi on android devices  but why not to iPads and other iPhones? Sending without wifi to my wife who has the same plan is fine.

That's cause both your iPhones have active SIM cards with texting service that you paid for.

Does your iPad have a SIM card with a texting plan? If not, this is why your iPhones cannot text your iPad.

If you activate mobile data on your iPhones, then you can use iMessage (which is Apple's own instant messaging service that sends messages over the Internet, using your data or wifi).

@harveyh  Perhaps @iPhoneUser  wants to weigh in on your issue with his perspective. Sending an SMS to another iPhone with an active mobile plan should not be an issue. Sending SMS/MMS to an iPad is a different story unless an app allowing that kind of communication is installed. Its the same as trying to call an ipad without having the corresponding service available or data/wifi service to recieve or send the appropriate communication.

@harveyh wrote:

Except the idea is to send texts while traveling without wifi.  It works great without wifi on android devices  but why not to iPads and other iPhones? Sending without wifi to my wife who has the same plan is fine.

I'm not an iPhone user and it's late, so I'm sorry if I'm totally off base here, but... Isn't there a setting in iMessage to force the app to send messages as text to the phone number of the person (using SMS protocol) instead of an iMessage trying to use the person's Apple profile and (non accessible) data? Something with blue and green bubbles?

harveyh

@harveyh wrote:

We are visiting US. Both my wife and I have a PM US 10 day texting plan. We can text to each other, also to android phones but not to our own iPad on wifi or other iPhones or iPads on wifi. Any thoughts? 

Thanks

SMS messages can never be received over Wi-Fi.  The first you that you must do re-enable the iMessage feature on the phone that is sending the message. As mentioned eralier, an internet connection (for both the sender and receiver) is needed to to use the iMessage feature. You would need to have to have the phone that is sending the outgoing iMessage content to be connected to Wi-Fi or mobile data, for which you would need a U.S. roaming data add-on.

The other devices would only be able to receive a standard SMS message if those devices (the iPad and other iPhone devices) have a working sim card installed that has SMS text messaging service.

@harveyh wrote:

That seems to be an issue as while we are on wifi or not there is no reception of our texts to iPads or to other iPhone users whether they are on wifi or data either.(or can we receive from them on the iPhones)

IPads work for sending and receiving to iPhone or iPad users

Perhaps turning on iMessage on your iPhone will help.

You will also need to have wifi or mobile data.

harveyh

That seems to be an issue as while we are on wifi or not there is no reception of our texts to iPads or to other iPhone users whether they are on wifi or data either.(or can we receive from them on the iPhones)

IPads work for sending and receiving to iPhone or iPad users

@harveyh  Yes i think the answer is in your statement of facts. As @LovesToPM  mentions to communicate via I message requires an internet connection. If you do not have a data roaming add on then those services like I message I'll not work until you are on WiFi or mobile data.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@harveyh wrote:

Thanks

I believe you will need mobile data (or wifi) on your iphone to do that.

There are 10 day US Roaming add-ons for data as well.

Need Help? Let's chat.