cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US text add-on not available?

woe_bonnet
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all! I recently travelled to the US. I purchased a 10-day unlimited text add-on the day we left. I received a notice that it would be expiring today, and we'll be here for another 20+ days, so I've logged in to buy the same add-on... and it isn't available. On the add-ons page, under "text," it's just blank. All the talk/text/data combo plans are showing up and available to purchase.

I'm pretty confused. How do I purchase a subsequent US roaming unlimited text add-on?

27 REPLIES 27

@woe_bonnet 

Well pm did fix the bug that caused a person who was roaming to have no texting for 24 hours upon their return to Canada.....but hey seamless service where's the fun in that?!!😃

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Partly. PM did some system things with the roaming add-ons last year (year before?). It has since been a matter of waiting to verify out any changes. Then a little traveling bug showed up and almost no one was buying them.

woe_bonnet

@computergeek541 

Right. I obviously wouldn't want concurrently running 10-day US unlimited text roaming add-ons... but consecutive ones, to build 20-day or 30-day chunks without a mandatory 24-hour blackout would be nice.

Known issue/long-standing bug it may be... it's still odd and inconvenient to me as a consumer of PM's product.

@computergeek541 

Are you saying that for the last year and a half thru many discussions on this topic of the regulars trying to narrow down the time between expiry of a roaming add on and when it could be repurchased that you knew it was 24 hours?

@woe_bonnet wrote:

Glad the information is of use... seems very odd that there would be that kind of gap, or that you can't purchase x2 10-day chunks at a time?

You can purchase more than one 10-day add-on, but they need to be different roaming packages.  Purchasing more than one of the same roaming add-on has been known to cause service issues. Besides, you wouldn't want to have two of the same roaming add-on at a time, because the 10 days starts immediately after purchase.  The 24 hour gap of time after a roaming add-on expires before the customer being allowed to purchase another of the same roaming package is a long standing system bug.

woe_bonnet

Glad the information is of use... seems very odd that there would be that kind of gap, or that you can't purchase x2 10-day chunks at a time?

Anyway, onwards and upwards!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@woe_bonnet : Thanks for the update and getting more facts on that. It would still be a curiosity as to whether it might have shown up after midnight but certainly 24 hours works. At least we know it's not the next midnight.

Thanks again.

@woe_bonnet 

That's awesome! So it is full 24 hours after the expiry of the 10 day roaming add on. Available for purchase 264 hours after the initial purchase.

Thank you!!!

I'm pretty sure the wise oracle @Luddite will come along and award you a rare self solution but more than anything every roaming pm customer will give you a collective thank you!  woe-hoo!

woe_bonnet

Hi all, the option to re-up appeared again today. I checked this afternoon, around 1pm Central time, and it was available to purchase. I'm assuming it probably became available a few hours earlier, what would have been the 10-day plus 24-hour mark after making the initial add-on purchase.

woe_bonnet

Absolutely, I'm glad it's a useful case study  🙂

@woe_bonnet 

Yes thank you! It is a little sad how giddy we are to find out your results but its been well over a year that we have trying to figure out the answer to this conundrum.

@Anonymous 

Ok really we need to get a life.....😀

Anonymous
Not applicable

@woe_bonnet : Thanks for posting back! Can you update us again after midnight ET tonight?  And then again after the 24 hours after your purchase time?

It's great that you seem willing to explore these options so we can nail down the particulars of the re-buying.

woe_bonnet

Hi all, I was travelling most of today, so just catching up. Thanks again for all the input.

I have not tried a new browser or cache reset yet, however I did just check the add-ons menu, and the US roaming unlimited text column is still entirely blank. I'm fine waiting without text for the time being, and will update this message string whenever it refreshes (or I get tired of waiting and try to reset the cache/try a different browser/different computer etc.)

Thanks again!

@Anonymous 

I think the reason pm confirmed it is they can't block it so they might as well admit it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Understood. But _after_ an add-on has been present? That's why I suggested they verify it.

@Anonymous 

Incoming texting should be uninterrupted since pm confirmed incoming texts work without a roaming add on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@woe_bonnet : Orr....if you can verify whether or not you can still _receive_ texts then you could use hairbag1's idea and reply that way but still receive. And still wait it out. But it's all up to you as to how much of this you want to participate in.

@woe_bonnet 

It sounds like this test will have to wait for another day since we have been theorizing its either 24 hours or after midnight eastern would leave you without texting for the entire day. If the funds are already in your account I would reach out now to the moderators to get it added when its most convenient for you.

@woe_bonnet...download the free TextNow app to your cell phone. As long as you have wifi, you'll be able to receive / make free calls and texts to most any Cdn or US number. I've had it on my phone for a couple of years now and it works good as long as I have a wifi signal. Best of all...it's free.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@woe_bonnet : So this morning was your 10 - 24 hours. Any chance you could post a screenshot of that expiry warning? If you're willing to wait we'd like to know when it becomes re-buyable. But if not then as mentioned you'll need to contact the moderators. Did you try incognito or another browser?

woe_bonnet

Purchase time would have been on the 10th of July, around 7am Atlantic Time.

@Anonymous 

No one had mentioned there is an expiry warning before....I wonder if it actually expired before midnight eastern but its sounding like it doesn't turn over at midnght but maybe 12 hours after expiry since they already are timed by the hour.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@woe_bonnet : Can you sorta kinda remember (or deduce/conclude) when abouts in the day it was when you bought it? And were you able to look in your Payment history to see the day you bought it?

It might also be a good idea to clear cache/site cookies or use a different browser or use incognito/private mode.

woe_bonnet

I'm not sure of the exact hour, but the notice of expiry came up last night around 10pm Central time. I immediately went to re-up, but the add-on still showed as active and the purchase option was blank, so I assumed it just hadn't turned over. When I checked this morning, the add-on no longer showed up as active... but the option to buy was still blank.

I'll just wait a bit longer until it refreshes. Thanks for the replies!

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@woe_bonnet 

Known glitch in system.  You can wait another 24 hours and it should show up in the self service account.  As mentioned above, you can contact moderator.  Response times have been fairly good recently.  Within a few hours. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@woe_bonnet : When exactly did you buy the add-on? It would show in your Payment history here (not payment card). You can't buy the same named add-on while it's still current. Even data.

So the add-on is supposed to be 10 - 24 hour periods. Some regulars here are still wondering when exactly one can re-buy. Is it immediately after those 10 days? We think not...but still not certain. Is it after midnight of that expiry? Maybe. Is it 24 hours after that expiry? Maybe. We'd all like to know...if you're willing to find out.

But if you don't want any interruption then you'll need to contact the moderators.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire
  • If you want to purchase two of the same U.S. Roaming Add-Ons, you will have to wait for the first 10-day period to expire before buying the second, or you can contact a Moderator.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.
Need Help? Let's chat.