cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dhubich
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

US talk, text, data

If I am going to be in the US for 40 days can I purchase 4 10 day add on at one to carry me for the whole 40 days or do I have to purchase every 10 days?

Accepted Solutions
z10user4
Mayor / Maire

Re: US talk, text, data

@Dhubich : Every 10 - 24 hour periods. Re-buying might even have to wait until after midnight ET of that last day. Maybe even another 24 hours after that. But we haven't heard much from roaming add-on people for a while.

Edit: The exception is data. You buy a bucket of data, you use it up before 10 days are up. You can buy a differently named bucket of data and it will work. But not the same named one. Talk or text are unlimited so you can't. You could stack up all the named data buckets if you like too.

View solution in original post

All Replies
z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@Dhubich : Every 10 - 24 hour periods. Re-buying might even have to wait until after midnight ET of that last day. Maybe even another 24 hours after that. But we haven't heard much from roaming add-on people for a while.

Edit: The exception is data. You buy a bucket of data, you use it up before 10 days are up. You can buy a differently named bucket of data and it will work. But not the same named one. Talk or text are unlimited so you can't. You could stack up all the named data buckets if you like too.

View solution in original post

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Dhubich 

One at a time after midnight eastern ( not confirmed yet)when each previous add on expires. US roaming add ons start immediately after purchase on a 24 hour clock so they expire 240 hours after purchase.

Edit: ninja'd by @z10user4 

Quigley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Dhubich  For that length of time, your still better off getting a local sim card. It'll probably be cheaper and more convenient. Just saying.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Dhubich 

BTW....do not purchase 2 different US roaming add ons that both contain a talk feature or they will cancel each other out and your calling will not work properly. You can load enough funds in your balance for all of your roaming add ons and then you just have to select and submit your purchase each time.

You can still recieve incoming texts without any roaming add ons. You may want to download the textnow app for free texting while on wifi and the fongo app for free calling ( works on both wifi and mobile data.) These can carry you over while waiting out the purchase period between add on expiry.

gpixel4
Mayor / Maire

@Dhubich if you're staying for that long then I suggest purchasing a textnow sim for $10 and you will have free calls/text in the USA.

for more details go to

textnow.com 

create a textnow account and choose a number. once you have a number you can forward your pm phone to your text now account. the phone must remain in Canada, but you can turn it off. 

the reason for leaving the phone in Canada is because if the pm sim tries to connect to an American provider you will lose that call forwarding ability. and you won't be able to enable that feature again while in America.

if you decide to just purchase roaming add-ons. then I would purchase the $10 bundle and when that runs out just pay the $1 more and purchase the seperate talk and text add-ons. this method will avoid headaches(hopefully) with waiting 24hrs to repurchase the $10 add-on.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@gpixel4 

Only the pm sim would have to remain in Canada not the phone itself once call forwarding is enabled.

gpixel4
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious thanks that is correct

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Dhubich 

I'm unsure, however I believe (only) the Moderators may be able to add multiple roaming add ons for subsequent 10-day periods.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS 

I only think moderators can arrange to add consecutive roaming add ons as soon as they expire rather than the customer having to wait until after midnight eastern ( we believe maybe the OP can test and confirm?) to purchase the new roaming add on.

Need Help? Let's chat.