cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming

SusieQ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all,

I am located in Vancouver, B.C. and travel to Seattle occasionally. I usually purchase a US SIM card for unlimited talk, text and data in the states, therefore I do not need the US roaming add on. However, I was just wondering if I would be able to receive phone calls in the states without the add on? 
Thanks! 

18 REPLIES 18

SusieQ

Yes I dialed 1 in front of the area code and no it wasn't in airplane mode. I didn't purchase roaming add on.

My US phone was working as I was able to call all the other numbers.

SusieQ

I don't think I have my voicemail set up yet as I've only been using PM for 2+ weeks. Just wanted to try it out before switching from Fido.

@srlawren wrote:

@Nezgar forwarding is done at the network level. If PM couldn't deliver the call you via the roaming partner network, it would be forwarded to your voicemail, would it not?

You would think so... But it has been previously confirmed that unconditional call forwarding breaks if your phone is registered to a US network without a USA roaming add-on. Now I'm just trying to confirm if conditional forwards (which by default is your voicemail) also break without a USA roaming add-on.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Nezgar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nezgar 

I don't think SusieQ mentioned voicemail. If you're sitting there with your phone on and call it from another phone...the phone should ring. Assuming the loophole is still open.

And if the loophole is closed, and forwarding is broken, you'll just get a fast-busy instead of your voicemail, which is what it seems SuzieQ described.

@Nezgar forwarding is done at the network level. If PM couldn't deliver the call you via the roaming partner network, it would be forwarded to your voicemail, would it not?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nezgar 

I don't think SusieQ mentioned voicemail. If you're sitting there with your phone on and call it from another phone...the phone should ring. Assuming the loophole is still open.

And if the loophole is closed, and forwarding is broken, you'll just get a fast-busy instead of your voicemail, which is what it seems SuzieQ described.

I'm not ready to concede 🙂 Need more facts.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nezgar 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar 

@SusieQ wrote:

It was beeping, didn't even ring.

Thanks for this info. It confirms what I suspected in a previous post, that without a roaming add-on, ALL call forwarding, including conditionals to voicemail, will not work once your phone has registered to a US network, until your phone again registers on the PM network in Canada.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Testers-needed-Conditional-Call-Forward...

The only way to ensure you continue to receive voicemails while in the USA would be to keep the phone in airplane mode, or remove the SIM entirely until return to Canada. But that presents a conundrum, as you then will not be able to receive incoming texts, which do work without a roaming add-on...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SusieQ wrote:

Does your US phone have Canada-calling? Did you dial 1 in front of your 10 digits? Was your PM phone on and not in airplane mode and not blocking your number? Did you have any roaming add-ons? Even still active from before?

Maybe they did close that up @srlawren.

srlawren

@SusieQ wrote:

@SusieQ  That's......odd.  It should have gone to your voicemail

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

SusieQ

srlawren

@SusieQ wrote:

Just came back from Seattle. I tried calling my phone twice with my US number and it didn't go through 😞 .

@SusieQ did it go directly to your voicemail outgoing greeting?

@Anonymous maybe PM fixed this loophole?  I know you've been able to receive calls in the US in the past without a US Roaming Talk add-on....

SusieQ

Just came back from Seattle. I tried calling my phone twice with my US number and it didn't go through 😞 .

SusieQ

Thanks for the replies everyone!

If and when I am down there, I'll test it and let you guys know.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the way you talk @SusieQ asking the questions.

Strange, unofficial things happen around here. Try things out and see what happens.

Always remember that there are no extra charges here.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@SusieQ wrote:

Hello all,

I am located in Vancouver, B.C. and travel to Seattle occasionally. I usually purchase a US SIM card for unlimited talk, text and data in the states, therefore I do not need the US roaming add on. However, I was just wondering if I would be able to receive phone calls in the states without the add on? 
Thanks! 

@SusieQ  The answer is yes (unofficial and can change at any time). If your phone supports  two sims that would be ideal. Otherwise test it when you are down there and report back.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@SusieQ No, but if you add Textnow, and use wifi, you can receive calls in the US

@SusieQ wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks! 

srlawren

@SusieQ it depends who you ask!  The official answer is: no.  incoming calls will go directly to your voicemail box if you do not have the US Roaming Talk add-on active.

HOWEVER, some users (e.g. @Anonymous) have mentioned that they are able to receive calls in the USA without the aforementioned add-on.  Your mileage may vary, but you could always try.

Need Help? Let's chat.