cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming not working well in Honolulu

drjyoung
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

This is not a question rather than a comment on the US roaming add-on using in Hawaii. 

I came back from Hawaii trip last Monday.  Before I started my trip, I purchased a 10-day US roaming unlimited talk,text and 250 MB data and thought this was an awesome plan.  First day, the data part was pretty good when I was in Kauai when connecting to AT&T network and I was very satifisfied.  However, for the rest of the 5 days, connection wasn't too good on T-mobile network in Honolulu.  It went on and off frequently.  I had my Huawei phone show to me the connection speed and it often showed 0.0/mpbs.  It was very frustrating because I needed up to the minute transit info to get around the city by bus.  I am not sure if it's just me, or my phone, or the T-mobile problem, or public mobile partner problem.  If it's network issue, hope PM will get a better partner in the future. Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

maheshboloor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@GinYVR Tmobile has been expanding Band 66 coverage pretty agressively. Several locations have this band now. Thier site should probably tell if its in Hawaii or not. Since not too many peopel have phones supporting band 66, i have seen ppl gettting pretty good speeds for that band.

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

T-Mobile is inferior compared to AT&T.  I typically select AT&T manually, and only let it automatically switch to T-Mobile if coverage is a issue, which typically isn't.

You can manually select AT&T while in the US next time and only switch back to Public Mobile or automatic when you go home or have coverage issues.

VanZem
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

T-mobile is often deceiving - the phone shows LTE but internet is not working. Manually switch to at&t 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@drjyoungFor good service for TMobile you need to have a phone that supports Band 66.. Tmobile expanded its coverage based on that band the problem is only top end phones from the last 2 years support that band.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@drjyoung wrote:

Hi there,

This is not a question rather than a comment on the US roaming add-on using in Hawaii. 

I came back from Hawaii trip last Monday.  Before I started my trip, I purchased a 10-day US roaming unlimited talk,text and 250 MB data and thought this was an awesome plan.  First day, the data part was pretty good when I was in Kauai when connecting to AT&T network and I was very satifisfied.  However, for the rest of the 5 days, connection wasn't too good on T-mobile network in Honolulu.  It went on and off frequently.  I had my Huawei phone show to me the connection speed and it often showed 0.0/mpbs.  It was very frustrating because I needed up to the minute transit info to get around the city by bus.  I am not sure if it's just me, or my phone, or the T-mobile problem, or public mobile partner problem.  If it's network issue, hope PM will get a better partner in the future. Thank you!

Did you try manually choosing network and connecting to AT&T? 

I also see TMobile ads saying best coverage but that has not been my experience with them.

Need Help? Let's chat.