cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming isn't working

fredfor
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This service is terrible.

I purchased the $20 USA talk/text data bundle before entering the USA. This has worked every other time I have visited the USA with my iphone.

However, it is NOT working. I can not make calls, I cannot receive calls, I cannot send text messages. When other people try to call me my phone does not ring, and the call does not go to my voice mail, other people get a weird buzzing noise.

When I try to send a text message I get an error text message from 611 Public mobile that says:

Sorry, your plan does not include sending texts while in the US. Incoming texts are included. To add a US Roaming Add-On, visit selfserve.publicmobile.ca.

When I log on to self-service, I can clearly see that I have the $20 USA talk/text/data bundle and I was charged for it.

I have rebooted my phone, I have tried to automatically select the network, I have tried to manually select the AT&T network, I have tried to manually select the T-Mobile network, I have taken the SIM card out and put it back in. I have roaming turned on. I have tried with LTE and without LTE.

Any suggestions aside from switching to another mobile carrier?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

Willowrose
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I tried both AT&T and T Mobile manually and automatically. I had bars for neither for days until I turned airplane mode on and off again. This happened in the New England area of the US

@Willowrose  curious, which US city you are at and which carrier you are using, TMobile or AT&T? did you manually choose it or it automatically picked one?

Willowrose
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had trouble where I had a roaming service and data but no bars no matter where I was for about 2 days or so. I turned airplane mode on and off again and all of the sudden I got full bars again. Not sure if this will work for you or if you tried it but I hope this helps

dskrenes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am having the same problem, for the 3rd time in 3 months! I purchased this because I need it, and it is not working at all! When is this going to be fixed? 

fredfor

A moderator finally responded to my tickets after 3 days. After many back & forth conversations, they escalated to someone on their technical team. A day later, my phone started to work.

In short, Public Mobile's US roaming is having problems. There is nothing customers can do to fix it aside from complaining to a moderator and waiting.

Good luck.

(and consider switching to a mobile carrier with better service)

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try submitting another ticket.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

fredfor

It has been two days now, no response from the moderators.

Looking at this forum, I'm not the only one with this US roaming problem...

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @fredfor 

You seem to have things in hand, and it would seem making Moderator contact may be your best bet.

I will, however, copy/paste some of the info on the US Add-On limitations, just for your review, in the unlikely event any of those limitations may apply to your circumstances:.

1. U.S. Roaming Add-Ons expire after 10 days. Any unused data expires at the end of the U.S. Roaming Add-On.
  2. U.S. Roaming Add-Ons are not available if you're on a grandfathered $19 plan.
  3. U.S. Roaming MMS service (picture or video) requires both SMS and data service to be enabled and will consume data if used. If you choose SMS service only, MMS will not be enabled.
  4. Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons or U.S. calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialed: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726. 

I hope things get sorted out soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fredfor : Sorry for the frustrations. Fantastic investigating and trying all the hands-on things. Nicely done.

There seems to be a spate of roaming problems recently.

Hopefully you'll get it going soon for you.

@fredfor So send a message using the link I provided.

fredfor

And the icing on the cake - when I try to use the chatbot to open a ticket, I get an error message:

Error logging in

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@fredfor Have you tried contacting a moderator? Use the chat bubble bottom right or send a PM at the link below. Maybe let them know you are losing days on it.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.