cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming add-on

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

My kid is taking one of my PM SIM to US for a few days.  Is there any way to test the US roaming before leaving Canada?  It is a 3 days trip.  By the time I found out the add-on does not work and waiting for 3 days for moderator to fix the problem.  My kid will be back in Canada.

I can check online whether the add-on is added to the account and the data usage lon the overage page.  It is all I can do before my kid leaves Canada.

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren

@popping thanks for the update, glad it's working. You're correct that incoming (only) texts are delivered for free. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

popping

Just received a report from my kid.  Everything went smoothly without any issue. Thank you for the contributors to this thread.

The US roaming add-on, which I purchased, is 1GB data only without text messages.  But my kid received the text message which I sent 1 hour after my kid's flight left YYZ airport.  My guess is that incoming text messages are included without charge.

The self-serve data usage shows xx.yyy/1000MB - Not 1024MB/1GB data as shown on my $40 5GB plan which is shown as xx.yyy/5120MB(5x1024MB).

srlawren

@popping @GreatCanadian yeah I've also personally used it likely 10-12 times in the past (some weekends away, a few relatively expensive day trips, as well as some longer US getways), as well as my better half has used the PM US Roaming on most of those trips as well, all without issue other than as @ShawnC13 noted the Texting add-on expiry bug (which everyone runs into).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

popping

@srlawren wrote:

@popping you may want to show your kid (or perhaps an adult the kid is travelling with?--I'm not sure how old your kid is and whatnot) how to use the manual network selection, in case automatic doesn't work.  For some people it works fine with no issue, for others, they have to manually choose AT&T or T-Mobile.  Actually coach them to try a reboot first, as some phones require that.  

Thank you for the tip.  I will prepare my adult kid on what to do after landing at PHX.

@GreatCanadian wrote:

My advice; purchase the addon and relax. It'll work .

GC 

Thanks

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have never had a problem with US roaming. And my wife uses it as well. We just got back from Florida.Because it was a 3 week trip I opted for a local SIM. But my wife prefers to keep her usual number when traveling so she purchased US roaming add-on, and after 10 days purchased another. Zero problems. Between both of us I estimate we have used US roaming a dozen times. Zero issues. Neither of us has ever had to manually select network or anything. The most I've had to do is reboot the phone . My advice; purchase the addon and relax. It'll work .

GC 

srlawren

@popping you may want to show your kid (or perhaps an adult the kid is travelling with?--I'm not sure how old your kid is and whatnot) how to use the manual network selection, in case automatic doesn't work.  For some people it works fine with no issue, for others, they have to manually choose AT&T or T-Mobile.  Actually coach them to try a reboot first, as some phones require that.  

popping

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@popping wrote:

My kid is taking one of my PM SIM to US for a few days.  Is there any way to test the US roaming before leaving Canada?  It is a 3 days trip.  By the time I found out the add-on does not work and waiting for 3 days for moderator to fix the problem.  My kid will be back in Canada.

I can check online whether the add-on is added to the account and the data usage lon the overage page.  It is all I can do before my kid leaves Canada.

I have had 5 US romaing packages between my lines and have never had any issues with them working.  I did experience the not receiving text after expiry but I had full service for my tiime in the states

I may be paranoid after reading problem posts here for the last 5 months.  Moderator wait time from 48 hours to the current 72 hours. 

Thank you for your assuring info.  I will purchase the US roaming add-on and hope for the best.  My kid has an unlocked Telus iPhone 8 which will work with AT&T or T-Mobile networks in US.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@popping wrote:

I have had 5 US romaing packages between my lines and have never had any issues with them working.  I did experience the not receiving text after expiry but I had full service for my tiime in the states

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you live away from border there isn't a way to check. If you added it a day or so before as it's a 10 day add on siimpy go into their account and check if it's been added to add on section. Since it's a 3 day trip doesn't really matter if it's done before. Without connecting to a tower the only way is to do before and check account add on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

I'm not clear on the intentions of this post. It seems to ask and answer.

I suppose if you were close to a border you could scan/connect/roam and see if it works and then really go into the states afterwards.

Need Help? Let's chat.